Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm once again paying the price of my own laziness and procrastination.

If I shut my tractor off while it is hot, it will not start again until it cools down. I know what the problem is...I bought the part a while ago. I've just not installed it. After all...I'm retired. I have all the time in the world. I just don't cut it off until it's parked in the garage.

So I'm out mowing the South 40 this morning, and I notice it's starting to run hot. This happens when I let the grass get too long...it clings to the grill and air does not circulate. So I dismount to go brush it off and forget to turn the mower deck off first...I've never done that before. The safety stuff kicked in and the thing turned off.

So now I'm here typing this until the thing cools off and I can finish. This could take a couple of hours. Now that I've been screwed, I might just replace that part.

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Did my front lawn a couple of weeks ago. Let the back continue to grow. Went to cut back the other day. Mower cranked but wouldn't start. Youtube had a video describing my problem. Fuel pump...mower guy picks it up tonight to repair. Be back in about a week. Hay by then.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Electronic problems with our 2005 Dodge Durango. Due to invalid CEL (Check Engine Light) codes, told to us by our mechanic, bought a new/rebuilt PCM (computer) online for $121. Mechanic took out original one and installed new one. A few days later, CEL comes back on with same 8 codes.

So, he checks it out and tells us that our new PCM is malfunctioned. So, at no charge to us, he takes this one out and puts the original one back in. Thank the Lord, we kept the original one. Sent the new one back to the company to check/repair, if needed.

A few days after the original one went back in, the CEL appears again with same 8 codes.

We will drop the Durango off at his shop next week, after we rent a car for a week off in Dodge City, KS for a rodeo. He will keep for a few days and check out all over again.

4. John Brunner

The stupid thing is I used to be a mower mechanic way back in the day. I've not worked on tractors but it's not that complicated. Tools I got. Motivation is on back order.

Regarding hay: out here everyone is on septic. The stuff gets tall and thick over the drain field. Sometimes you gotta drive real slow through it.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, rained for about 2 weeks so now, on a beautiful day I get to mo-de-lon. That’s French for cut-de-grass.
    Front’s done and now I get to jump on the riding mower and do the back and then go down the street and do another parcel of land.

Just a lovely day in the neighborhood, a lovely day in the neighborhood ..,..blech….

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

That stinks. You gotta hope that there's nothing that's frying the PCM, since the same 8 invalid codes are being thrown by the original unit and by the rebuilt one. That sure is a weird coincidence.

I replaced the BCM in my truck a while ago (Body Control Module.) That's the unit that lets you know if the seat belt's not buckled, that locks the doors when you put it in drive, that the security system runs through, etc. Actually I had to have the dealer do it, since the truck's remote had to be programmed to it. As it turned out, it did not fix the issue. Serves me right for being my own doctor. I complain about all this computer stuff, but we've gone from an era where hitting 100,000 was rare, and now it's a minimum expectation.

As an aside, it's a good thing that the PCM is going now and not after you put a rebuilt motor into it; otherwise, you'd be wondering if the new motor were having issues. I once replaced the timing belt in a friend's car, and when I started it up the oil pressure was low and the light came on. I thought I had done something wrong or that gunk had got into the oil pan. The next night I dropped the pan, inspected it and cleaned the pickup screen, and that did not fix it (this is all in the evening in my driveway after work.) I called her to tell her what was going on, and she said "That light has always been that way. You gotta rev the engine to make it go out." Needless to say, I was not happy.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. John Brunner

We had a hot & rainy summer a few years ago. My neighbor's wife cut their grass with a push mower...it's over an acre. Between the heat and the rain she could not get out there to do it, and I noticed it was real tall & thick on the drain field. There was no way to get a push mower through it. I offered to drive my tractor over and cut it for them (they accepted), and in the meantime their push mower literally blew up...oil was coming out of the exhaust. I ended up cutting their grass for a little over a year, until he bought a Gravely zero turn.

His brother lives right across the right-of-way and he has a zero turn as well, even though he's got a relatively small yard. (I think his adult son uses it to make money on the side.) I've come out to the sound of mowers in my yard to see the two of them cutting my acreage...I have about 7 mowable acres. They knock it out in no time flat...way faster than my tractor & belly mower. I love living here...

Bobby Cole and Bill Boggs like this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I had my yard mowed yesterday. I don't have a mower. If I had one I couldn't use it. Never had a riding mower. I coudn't use one of them either,
    so I have mine done, ever other Wednesday. It is a major summerftime expenditure.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are those moments when I wish I could get away with colored gravel like I did in Southern Arizona. Some do work very hard on their grass lawns but most of the properties that surrounded me were covered with different colors of gravel and a few desert plants to accent the ambiance.

Bill Boggs and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

I had too many aquariums as a kid to view colored gravel as something desirable.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I once had one of those yards, first in Hobbs, New Mexico then later in Lubbock, TX. If done right they are okay, if not, weeds and grass creep through the
    gravel leaving them looking not so good.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

I had a new gravel driveway done a few years ago. I wish I had realized I needed to spray immediately. I've done it once, and the dead grass and the root infrastructure remains. And now there's another crop of grass all over it.

Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Joyce Senior

Joyce Senior Well-Known Member
    Registered

Have you been checked for sleep apnea? Some people don't wake gasping for breath, but still wake up multiple times per hour and go right back to sleep without incident. This will not only cause daytime sleepiness, but also can cause other conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sleep-apnea/symptoms-causes/syc-20377631

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL. I thought I was the only one....

John Brunner likes this.