Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

The 60s sounds about right, thats when the commie started taking over our laws and cvulture.:D.
    Evonne,Thanks for the info I didn't realize it has been that long.

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth, I think it is good enough we did go up on the liability in case we cause accident.I don't know now but we are supposed to have good medical sure pay enough for it.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm not sure this is a full-blown rant, but lately I've been spending more time at Tractor Supply, and it seems the entire business is broken.

It started when I went in to buy some stuff to repair & expand my electric fence. I wanted 8 step-in plastic fence posts and some cable-to-fence connectors to tie in the energizer. They only had 7 fence posts and zero connectors The clerk told me to go home and place an order online set to pick the stuff up at the store. Apparently that should kick-in a reorder process. When I went to do that, I saw the website claimed there are 156 fence posts at the store and 8 of the connector paks in that store. When I was there earlier, they had already checked their overflow inventory for me and there was no product on hand. I knew that if I ordered stuff that the website said was on hand but was not really there, I was gonna start a goat rodeo with my credit card that I could not finish.

So a few days later I called the store, explained what the deal was, and the woman on the other end of the phone said she would check into it and call me back. That never happened. The next time I was in the store, I was talking to one of the clerks there about it. It seems that they cannot find anyone who givz-a-chit to work in the central distribution center. He showed me a shipment he just got in. Stuff gets ordered, the warehouse packs whatever it feels like packing, it gets sent to the store, and the inventory system gets credited with whatever was ordered....not what was actually shipped/received. (I did not ask about the receiving verification/outage process.) So they have tons of stuff on the store shelves that the system says is still in the warehouse, and they are out of stuff that their system shows plenty On Hand so will never get replenished. This is at the stores and in the warehouse, since the picking/shipping/receiving documents are all in error, and they drive everyone's inventory systems. Lord knows what their annual physical inventory process must be like. Their Absolute Variance must be through the roof. What a nightmare for the workers.

They have issues with their customer-facing websites as well. Early on, I was making a purchase and the cashier looked to see if I was signed up for their Frequent Buyer's Club. She said I was not, so signed me up. I received an email prompting me to finish my profile. The link in the email took me to a completely blank website...no pages loaded. I tried Firefox, Edge and Chrome. No pages loaded. A few days later I got another email. This link loaded a webpage, but would not get past the Log In page. I called Customer Service to get website help, and they discovered that I now have two accounts under the same last name and the same phone number (I must have created one 12 years ago and forgot, but the cashier did not see it) so they were going to merge them for me. This was Thursday the 12th. Customer Service said she would call me Tuesday the 17th with the info and the log-in credentials, and we could walk through the process together. I've yet to receive that call, and I've not received an email. I just now went to the Account Login screen and clicked "Forgot Password?" thinking it would let me reset my credentials on the combined account and move forward. I got a "We were unable to process your request" message...for a basic Forgot Password request. It didn't even ask for my email address.

I had previously received an offer to sign up for their credit card and receive $50 in Bonus Bucks to use against future purchases. Since I've been buying stuff for my fence and my tractor, I applied. Upon approval, I immediately got an email asking me to complete my online profile for my credit card. I went to do that, and the system requires the Security Code off of the back of the card for me to create the profile. Well, I had just been approved minutes earlier. The card would not be here for another few weeks...what the heck are you guys thinking? As I was talking to the Customer Service rep about my regular account profile issues, I mentioned the credit card and asked where on my account the Bonus Bucks would appear. She offhand-mentioned that there was a short window of time where I had to make my first purchase in order to qualify for the bonus. I pulled up that initial email and sure enough, buried deep in the fine print, was a 7 day window to make my initial qualifying purchase, and it did not begin on the date of approval, it began the day the offer was sent. When I looked, the Start Date on that window of time predated the date of the daggone Offer Email! I had lost a day before they even sent the email!! And there was no way I was gonna get the physical card in a week. So I went to the store, they verified I had been approved, and I made my qualifying purchase (that boom pole I talked about elsewhere.) I still have no online account access to see if I've got my Bonus Bucks.

I know this is all First World Problem stuff. But there is no aspect of Tractor Supply that seems to be working, and it worries me. I wonder how these guys can stay afloat, primarily because they do not have product in the stores that customers are buying, and they have no idea at all what they have on hand in the stores or in the distribution center. Having the wrong inventory consumes cash, and having the right inventory is a requirement to generate revenue and customer satisfaction. With their imbalance, you're soon just another memory, like Montgomery Wards and Hechinger. On top of that, none of their customer-facing web systems work.

I found their physical address. I might send their CEO a letter.

4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I've always had trouble at the Tractor Supply here. There is usually no one working the floor. Difficult to get anyone to make a special order, or unlock something that has a security lock, or check stock in the back. Checkout is very slow. Usually only one cashier.

I think they are seriously understaffed. People run back and forth from the check out to the stock room and you have to tackle one on their way. But they stock a lot of stuff that nobody else within 30 miles has.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

It was weird that one day I went to return something and the cashier told me to take it to the Customer Service counter. Next time I tried to return something I went to the Customer Service counter and was told to take it to the cashier. And there are times when they seem to be overstaffed, and other days when you can't find anyone. I'm lucky that there are a couple of people in the store I know will give me great service, although I've not run into any slackers. One of the T.S. guys referred me to another tractor store about 10 miles further up the road when I was shopping for replacement hitch pins for that box blade and TS did not have what I wanted (and I had no idea that place existed.) The other tractor place has a deeper selection of specialty parts, but since TS is on the way, I stop there first.

Unless there's an obvious personal motivation problem, I think we all try to cut retail folks some slack. They cannot be the human face for corporate dysfunction...responsibility lies above their pay grade.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. John Brunner

I placed an Amazon order for some dust masks to wear as I cut my lawn, and when I went to check status, my account shows this:

Dust mask Amazon.jpg

So I buy a 10 pak of dust masks, and Amazon recommends a whistle.

A bit cruel, don't you think?

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It sure is !!!
    At $7.10 when they go for a buck at the Dollar Store it’s disgusting!

Seriously though. A few years ago I was looking at airless gun tips and one of the suggestions was ladies panty liners.
    I have no idea what the correlation could be except some painters use bucket liners.

8. John Brunner

#1: I don't want to be in an emergency and discover that my bargain whistle has no pea.
    #2: Made you do it!

Al Amoling, Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I had similar problems with Lowe's here. The website showed they had all the electric fence supplies at my location, so I went to get them and they were nowhere to be found. One of the employees recommended that I order online and pick them up later. Another employee (2 actually) told me the computer lies. They used to sell the electric fence stuff, but now corporate won't ship it to them...except the step-in posts. They could get the fence posts but no other supplies. The employees actually said that the corporation was broken.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

That's interesting, Don. I recently went into my Lowes here to get electric fence supplies when I pulled mine down to reclaim it from the vines and brambles, and--as you said--there was nothing but the step-in posts. Lowes used to have the full complement of supplies when I installed my fence 6-7 years ago.

One must assume that "management" already knows, and had been beat into submission by supply chain issues (to include their own internal warehouse staffing.) It depresses me. Once you give up, you've pretty much sealed the deal on permanent low standards...and it's usually top-down. Once the people on the sales floor are to the point that they openly bad-mouth things, you know it's bad.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Saw Palmetto works wonders.

12. John Brunner

[​IMG]

Try the veal...

Al Amoling and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

On another note, is anyone but me fed up with those trying to protect us from ourselves? I have gotten used to the little OPD thingies on the small propane bottles...when you can fill the next size up with no overfill protection. Just plain stupid. What has really gotten to me recently is the safety devices on gas and diesel cans. None of them seem to work well or they break during use. Maybe the whole purpose is to make gas so difficult to use that you switch to electric stuff. Lately I have had to just remove the nozzles and use a siphon or a funnel to fill my stuff. It all kinda defeats the entire purpose, especially for those engines inside protective cages.

14. John Brunner

Funny, I was just thinking about this, and the larger issue of intrusion into so many aspects of our lives and social relationships that there's no room for "us."

I use a funnel when filling my tractor, and just unscrew the cap on the cans. The guy I bought my chain saw from gave me a 1 gallon can for the 2 cycle mix. It is one of those cans with the spring-loaded nozzle you have to compress to let the air in/get the fuel out. The guy drilled a permanent air hole in the nozzle assembly through the back to bypass "stupid," used his lathe to make a fuel-resistant Nozzle Stopper, then drilled a vent hole in the handle and screwed in a 1/4" machine bolt as the removable plug. I looked at the bolt hole and told him I'd tap it properly when I got home. ;)

Yeh, it's stupid. Just like those stupid collars on gas pump nozzles to stop the fumes from getting into the atmosphere. Or "The shoulder thing that goes up." If nothing else, it's a constant reminder of how much smarter we are than they are. Sadly, it's also a constant reminder of them.

Al Amoling and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My simple inline fuel filter on my old truck is bad and last store trip a week ago it was really getting bad. They were making millions of these filters back before fuel injection and they cost a mere 1.50 in most stores. Today I can't find one online at walmart. The price today is 13.50 if you can find one. I saw one of the glass types that you can unscrew one end and remove the strainer and just wash it out and reinstall it. It was around 20 dollars and I think that will be the one I buy. I never thought I would ever see it impossible to find a simple fuel filter. Thinking about this a bit more just imagine what the auto parts business will experience if they continue to target oil and gas. We will be so damaged we would never ever recuperate from the coming depression, not a recession but a full blown depression. It is hard to believe normal people out there are so ignorant as to believe the entire nation can do a 180 and travel back into time 150 years. Forget the bit coins and start investing in Horse and Mules because that is our future with these morons in the democratic party. I see nothing wrong if people want to own an electric car because they have the money but to force the entire nation to walk is just absolutely so stupid only someone like slo joe biden would even consider destroying the nation.