Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We could probably start a rant about stupid renters.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Paint colors in apartments must be pre approved, perhaps you can stress to the next renters. Plus if they can chose their own colors then they should be liable for repainting before moving. that's how it works here at least. ;)

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We got permission from complex manager to repaint the master bedroom bathroom. The paint was pretty old on the walls. Painted it the exact same color it was, so we didn't have to repaint when we moved out.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Anyone up for a rant about a blood-boiling, totally-incompetent, significantly sleazy and nearly-deadly motorcycle servicing? If not, skip this post. Otherwise, I will try to make the story as brief as possible. I was out riding when one of the two cylinders started running very rough, making it necessary to keep the rpm way up so the engine wouldn't die as I was trying to limp home. This is difficult to do, especially when you have to stop, because I couldn't let the engine go anywhere near idle or it would die. I took the bike to the local dealer because my favorite, out-of-state service dept was unable to come and get it. I told the service manager that I was 99% certain the problem was a bad ignition coil. The service manager argued with me that it could be anything. I told him in no uncertain words that it was a bad coil and it should be easy to fix (i.e., replace) when the tech/mechanic figures out which one is bad.

It was at this point that the service manager displayed total ignorance of the motorcycle the dealership sells. He said, "Well I guess it's on or the other of the two (cylinder) spark coils." My response to him was "The GS 1200 has 4 coils, two for each cylinder." At that point the shithead started the backslapping/glad handing routine to try to cover for the fact that he didn't know squat about the products he services. To bring this chapter to a close, I left They called me weeks later saying after they spent time diagnosing the problem, it was indeed a bad coil and that I could pick it up.

I went to pick up the bike, paid the $400 bill and rode the bike out of the dealership. I had gotten about two miles away when the bike started experiencing runaway acceleration. The motor would start racing and then dying, accelerating madly and then dying, totally out of control. Had I not been experienced, crashing would have been inevitable. I managed to take advantage of the acceleration phase to ride out the dying phase (i.e., a lot of timed clutch work) and get it home. A riding friend with a trailer got it down to the out-of-state dealer who found the local dealer totally screwed up the coil replacement. If was, in the end, just a bad coil and they had rep;laced the the wrong coil with another wrong ignition coil. The dealer would not refund the $400. You'd think a high end dealer like BMW would hire some above the level of village idiot as service manager.

Bobby Cole, John Brunner and Faye Fox like this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I've filed against mechanics in small claims court. Rather than face that, they gave me my money back. So glad you are OK.

John West likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Photobucket is at it again. They came down to very reasonable rates after the fiasco a few years back. So I renewed subscription, but never added any images. Then they started automatically renewing subscriptions without notifying me, raising the rates each time. I put a stop to the automatic renewal. Now they are holding hostages.

When you try to log in a huge RED screen pops up with the nasty message that you are over free storage limits. It gives only 2 options:

Upgrade
    Notify Admin you want your account deleted.

They don't even let you log in and delete things, or retrieve your images.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

I did. Long ago. But why don't they let you at least download your own images? I was looking for one today that I don't have a copy of anywhere else. Of course they don't want you to just delete some images to get below the free limit.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Are you able to even look at the pictures that you have stored on the website, @Nancy Hart ? If you can see them, then you can take a screenshot from your computer. It won’t be the same as having the original, but at least you would have a copy of the picture again.

Or , you can upgrade and then download your pictures and then cancel the subscription. Most places have a monthly option.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

I never thought of that. I'll have to find a place somewhere on the internet that I linked to one of those pictures to see what they are doing now. I guess. :confused: o_O
    That outfit almost frightens me sometimes. LOL. Not sure I trust them enough to try it. I could easily reduce the number of images to below the free limit if I could get on. I had dozens of images specifically for a forum that is now gone.

Those are both good ideas. Thanks, Yvonne.

Edit: Looks like they have put a watermark over top of the newest images (those loaded around 2016), but left the really old ones, loaded back in 2009, alone.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I think we've talked about them before. They were completely free, then went to a fee-based service if you wanted to link the pics to another site. I've not been on my account in years because of that, and just signed on to see what they've done. I've used 22MB of my free 2.5GB, but at some point they imposed a #Pics limit. I'm at 222 of 250 and can still access them (although everything is on my hard drive as well.)

I understand that no one owes me "free," and they have the right to change the rules, but that's sleazy to hold your photos hostage like that.

Since my account is still good, I wonder if I could find your stuff and grab it for you. If you like, give me your username (here or via PM) and I can see if I can access your photos from my "still active" account. Then we can talk details if it works.

12. Nancy Hart

Registered

There are already a couple of YouTube videos about it. How to get around some things (like blurring). They show you to just use the main url:

https://photobucket.com/

and it takes you directly to your files. Don't understand why. :confused:

Some images are blurred so you can't see them. Some just have a watermark on them. Some are fine. But I can download them and the blurring/watermarks go away. So I'm good. Thanks for the offer.:)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    John West and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

That's so weird.

I took a quick look on the web to see what others were doing, and there are scripts out there you can Copy/Paste/Run to download all the files on your user account. No one has anything good to say about Photobucket. I did not look to see if some mercenary jerk bought them, or what happened to drive their user-hostile behaviour.

I'm glad you got your pics.

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

@John Brunner: I forgot to add. It was the number of pictures limit they put on recently that got me also. I'm nowhere near the amount of megabytes allowed limit, for the free account.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I figure they did an analysis and picked the File Limit number to try to maximize the number of "gotcha" account holders. There was no File Limit when I signed up...I would have remembered bumping my head on a ceiling, and would have deleted stuff. I've used a negligible amount of the available storage (22mb used out of 2,560,000mb available) but 90% of the #pics...and my pics are all full-sized taken with a digital camera. Those two ceilings simply do not reconcile with each other...the site is for photos, not videos, so there's no pretense at what they are doing.

Gee, that 2.5gb of "free space" sounded so enticing. Scummy little buggers...