Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you have the owner's manual to your truck; if not check online about disabling the security system and what affects would be caused by that action. Otherwise find the fuse and pull it out. I know it sounds easy to me to say it but sometimes I'm right. :rolleyes:

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'll take a look. But if pulling the fuse would defeat the system, it's not much of a system. And there may be 2 systems. There might be the HONK! HONK! HONK! security and the one that cuts the gas when it thinks it's been hot wired. I'll have to ask if it can be disabled.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

True, so let's find out. :D

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yvonne’s daughter had a battery drain problem with the Ford Ranger that we now have. She went through several batteries including a marine gel cell.
    She had to have dependable trans so she gave it to us for me to tinker with and to make a long story short, yup, it was indeed the security system and when I cut it loose and bypassed it all systems are go. I have only had to buy a battery once in 6-7 years.

The only reason I’m not driving it now is because I have to change out the transmission filter and not wishing to slosh around in transmission fluid, I’ve been procrastinating and driving the GM.
    Maybe a chore for this afternoon.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sometimes it is just better to let a "pro" do the job. My father-in-law was an amazing mechanic and could fix anything from a combine or semi to a lawnmower, but he had a local garage do lube jobs, as he said it just wasn't worth the trouble finding all the zerks and crawling around.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah but I’m a glutton for pushishment. Maybe I have latent masochistic tendencies that are seeking to get out of the closet. I mean, nearly everything I do nowadays draws blood. Heck, it’s almost as if I could be taking a shower and somehow I’m going to pierce my skin.
    I wake up with bruises that I can’t figure out as to how they got there.
    Yvonne’s probably beating me up in my sleep.

No matter. One thing I do like about dropping the trans pan is to see what’s on the magnet. Seeing how much ground up metal the magnet has attracted gives me a small idea of how long the whole trans has to live.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I used to do all of my own oil changes and tune ups. I could crawl under my truck and my Volvo to change the oil & the filter without putting either up on ramps. But the price difference and the hassle of oil disposal makes it not worth the trouble.

Regarding my truck: There's no way I could replace the Body Control Module and the Instrument Panel. Both of those require programming when installed. And as I was telling Von, 2 professional mechanics told me that my radio needed to be replaced because they saw a parasitic draw there, but they did not realize that the Always On security system was built into it, so there will always be a draw. And the security system ties into the Body Control Module because the doors must be locked, so there's always a draw there which leads to bad diagnosis if you don't know what you're doing.

And to think I used to adjust the voltage regulator on my Austin Healey with feeler gauges.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Okay, there’s the difference. Yours is always on whereas on the Ranger, it has a keyed security system. At one point, whether the security system was keyed on or off, it was always on and presumably the stereo wasn’t tied in which is why I was able to bypass the entire system.
    I write “presumably” because Yvonne’s daughter changed out the stereo which might have actually been the initial reason the system went bad but to that point I’m not sure.

Good Luck…..

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

There are two systems:

-The one that turns on when you lock the doors with the fob and honks the horn if someone jimmies the door open.
    -The one that cuts off the gas if the truck has been started without the factory key in the ignition. It's a Hot-Wired detector of sorts. This is the one that's the problem

I can run the truck fine until it warms up and then I let it sit, either idling for a bit and then I hit the gas, or turned off while I eat lunch and then I restart it and drive off. At that point, the security system thinks it's hot wired and it turns off the gas.

I've driven the 8 miles to take my trash to the drop off center and got there fine. I leave the truck idling as I unload stuff and get the cans resecured (probably 5 minutes), and when I go to leave, the security light comes on and the thing cuts off. Sometimes I restart it and drive all the way home fine. Sometimes it cuts off 2-3 times in rapid succession, and then I drive all the way home fine. I repeated that scenario 3-4 times, spaced about 1 month apart.

After I picked it up at the dealer, I drove a mile to a restaurant, turned it off and ate lunch. I then started it up and went a couple of blocks and the security light lit and it it cut off. I immediately drove back to the dealer and in that mile or so the security cut it off 2-3 more times. Had I not stopped to eat lunch and then restart it, I may have made it the 25 miles home fine and thought it was fixed.

When I first dropped it off, the tech was able to duplicate the issue by driving the truck until it got hot and then letting it idle. For some reason, it passed that test when he was finished working on it. I cannot imagine this is a pure wiring issue. If it were, the security system would always be acting up from the moment I started it and not just under those specific circumstances. And it wouldn't immediately start right back up.

10. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Speed Bumps. They just added 3 more on my street.
    Since I'm not a speeder, I normally wouldn't care. But these speed bumps prevent drivers from going the speed limit - which is 25 mph on my street. We have to slow down to 15 mph to prevent damage to our cars.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

A Texas city that I used to work for was sued by someone whose car was damaged while driving the posted limit on the street. He was awarded damages from the city, after which the city removed its speed bumps.

12. John Brunner

Outside of DC they call those "Traffic Calming Devices." :rolleyes:

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

We have speed ramps on our street. People speed up so they can catch air when they hit them.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  14. John Brunner

I had a 1959 Austin Healey that could not clear those things. Sometimes I could get over them if I approached them at an angle. Other times I had to turn around and take a different road.

Ken Anderson and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I just came back form a trip into the nearest big town, and I realized that the big box store are making it so difficult to shop that it is pushing more people to shop online instead of visiting the stores. I would think they would do the opposite, but the three big stores here: a Kroger affiliate (Fred Meyer), Target, and Walmart have all recently remodeled their stores to make it more difficult to shop. Some of it is supposedly standardization so all the stores nationwide will be the same, but there are so few similarities among the areas of the country that standardization just isn't the right thing to do. Many of the stores lock up stuff to prevent theft and you have to summon non-existent store employees for purchases. That results in nothing under lock and key (except perhaps expensive items) from being sold. It is really ridiculous when the generic items are locked and the name brand of the same stuff is on an open shelf. I don't know what the reason behind this is really, but it is pushing me to avoid the big stores and go to the Alaska-based retailers and online for the stuff they don't have.