Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I bought my shotgun, I walked out of the first store I went to, which probably carried the same make and model, because they were kept in a case behind a counter, so I couldn't even get close enough to even see what I might want to ask for. Lock them up in a case and make me ask to see the ones I want a closer look at, that's fine - but at least let me see what you have so that I know what to ask for.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've read about that happening here in the lower 48, but have not encountered it myself. It may be in place where I shop, but I've not noticed it.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Biorutin for your bruises.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

After doing some reading, I went ahead and ordered some Rutin bulk powder. Thanks for the tip and here’s hoping it works. :)

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't think it happens much here either, but it does in Seattle and Portland, and the stores are patterned after those places.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

You mean in cities that are patterned after those places. But that's a separate rant.

7. Mary Stetler

Registered

I hope it works for you. The best I've found is:
    https://www.iherb.com/pr/naturesplus-biorutin-1000-mg-90-tablets/7607
    NOW brand has a citrus bioflavinoid that works for me, also, if I take twice the recommended amount. Just 'rutin' didn't work for me. Not sure why.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Sort of stunned, but really shouldn't be, at how much merchandise is locked up at our local Walmart. Then again, as a population grows and grows, so does the crime.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It is a shame about things being locked up, but blame it on society. Retailers cannot maintain the levels of theft and be profitable. The more they have to spend on inventory loss management, the higher the prices and more inconvenience for all of us. (And pushing more of us to shop online.)

10. Mary Stetler

Registered

Ya know what is weird? my almost son in law works security in a Walmart out east. He says that he can observe, call the cops but do nothing to prevent the theft. If you look at the videos on youtube and elsewhere, that seems to be standard.
    And the thieves keep getting away with it.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

No, I mean the stores are using the same template that is used in those cities. There are stores all over, but only some are having trouble, but they are changing all the stores to the same template regardless of whether the problem exists in that locale or not. We still convict shoplifters, and, as far as I know, there is no gangland-type shoplifting going on here. There is poverty and drug issues but I don't know of large scale organized assault on stores.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

Interesting. I assumed it was in response to issues.

My Walmart has long had some small expensive items (computer memory, ink cartridges) on those locking pegboard hooks. But even at that, the clerk does not get the item and then walk over to a register to make you pay for it then & there...it's handed to you to put in your basket and continue shopping. These items may have security sensors in them.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Reminded me of an unplesant experience at a sporting goods store (Big 5). They had a Marlin lever-action rifle on sale for $150.00 off, so I put up with it. The lever was zip tied to the frame, so I couldn't open the action to check the magazine or chamber. After I said, "I'll take it," I asked the clerk to cut off the zip tie so I could make sure it was unloaded. The clerk said they can't remove it - store policy. I said, "I understand that there are nut cases who might load a gun, but I won't put a gun in my car that I haven't verified is unloaded. How about removing the zip tie & you opening the action & showing it to me?" He said, "No."
    I said, "Fine - either get the store manager or cancel the sale."
    He got the manager who removed the zip tie & let me check it.

14. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's sorta amusing what speed bumps indicate:
    "We know drivers will speed despite the risk of injuring or killing someone, but.....they won't risk damaging their car........

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It really isn’t a matter of general population growth but rather, the growth of the population which is allowed to shoplift without any repercussions.

People will not steal for one of two reasons: It’s either a moral issue or it’s a fear of being caught and prosecuted issue.
    The moral thing goes without explanation but the fear of being caught is no longer a mental barricade against theft and may I add, a few other crimes as well.
    Long story shortened, the population of thieves is growing because there’s no one being held accountable if and when they get caught.

So. what can stores do about it? Either close the doors or make it harder to steal. I don’t blame the stores, I blame the thieves.