Anyone Have Solar Panels On The Roof?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Dwight Ward, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i don't know what your wattage needs are...if you get a chance...take a look at these portable systems...the lithium ion phosphate in these blueetti inverters...completely recharge ...4,500 -5,000 times...that's about 12 years...also ...the inverters will plug into wall outlet or 12V...several wattage choices....panels are portable...quick in or out

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My intention was to have enough power to run well pump and refrigerator maybe a couple other low voltage items.
    Nothing big but we have lost power here in Florida for weeks a couple times over the years and it isn't fun.
    Something as simple as a fan or little ice can save a life in heat waves. And we all need water to survive.
    I would like to get a couple lithium batteries though, waiting for price to drop may have been a bad idea .

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    Dwight Ward likes this.
  3. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

if you can get them....price is going up...China supplies of course...and...they're mining another mineral to replace the lithium...won't be as reliable

Dwight Ward and Marie Mallery like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know that, but it is par for the course.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  5. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Here's my installation so far. Because of the type of roof I put on this summer the panels are a challenge to install. Twice I've had them fastened, thought of a better way, dismounted them, redid the mounting and reinstalled them. I think I've got a good solution this time.

For whatever reason you have to click the image name to show it on a full sized image. The thumbnails display without the click.

SolarPanels.jpg

SolarPanels.jpg

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Is that a metal roof? Man, that's quite the challenging installation. On the other hand, one dilemma for solar installations is how to replace the shingles when you got panels on top of them. In your case, that roof will outlast more than one generation of panels.

I assume that you did not fasten those 2x4s to the roof material.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Dwight Ward

Registered

I wish it were metal. It's corrugated asphault. I had signed a contract for $20,000 to have the whole back half of the roof covered with solar panels. A stipulation was that I install a new roof before the installation. I was under some money pressure and I went with the corrugated asphault as the cheapest and easiest to install. I did the roof myself. Then the Suntuity company says they wouldn't install over this type of roof. It's true that it won't last as long as, say, 30 year shingles but there are some tricks I know to make it last longer.

I needed those 2 x 3s you refer to as false rafters to fasten the horizontal 1 x 4 stringers to. They're fastened right in the valleys of the corrugations with one long lag screw through the roof sheathing and then heavily sealed with an excellent rubberized roofing cement that stays flexible. I don't expect any long term problems with anything I've done so far.

My picture shows the first two panels. There will be at least 4 more along with additional deep cycle batteries to match the solar panel output. Whether I install more after that depends on how the numbers work out with energy gained and tax credits and so on.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yvonne, I read that is a great book to have, we got the " Solar for Dummies " book.
    I did all kinds of research on solar but now I have forgotten most of it. Jake is really good with things like that, and he has the book too.

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

What do you think of circuit protection? I studied this several years ago along with some people on another and decided on fuses instead of breakers.

11. Dwight Ward

Registered

I saw where I can read it online for free but didn't find any link to download it. Mayne I missed something so I'll try again later. Thanks, Yvonne.

12. Dwight Ward

Registered

Marie, what do you think is an advantage of one over the other? Fuses might be okay for low amperage applications but for serious power I'd go with breakers. I don't know it all though.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

You need to have the Kindle app to download it with your amazon account information, @Dwight Ward . You should be able to have it on your computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone, pretty much anything that you can go online with.
    You will be reading it online once you download the Kindle app.

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

I wasn't going with serious power but from what I learned several years ago fuses are less dangerous with the one we were going with and in some cases larger ones.
    It may be good to watch the video I put up or find another one for better info on it. I don't have the cognitive ability's I did 6 or 8 years ago maybe it was the stroke, not sure.

15. Dwight Ward

Registered

I don't have the cognitive ability's I did 6 or 8 years ago
    Who does? Not me.

Marie Mallery likes this.