Anyone Have Solar Panels On The Roof?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Dwight Ward, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Now those I don't remember. How large is the battery in the photo?

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Childhood memories: 6"-8" tall x 2.5" diameter. I recall a portable radio that took one, and I had a battery operated slot car set that took the (either 1 or 2 batteries, I don't recall.)

Dwight Ward likes this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I used both the lead acid deep cycle and the nickel-iron batteries back in the day of using solar, wind, and hydro. The biggest problem I had with lead acid was they didn't last more than three years. The nickel-iron I bought 10 years used from the telephone company and used them 10 years and they were still up to specs and I sold them for more than I paid.

They are big and heavy is the biggest problem. Cost wise they are the best because of their lifespan. The other plus is they are 100% recyclable. They are only good for a home installation. I found them less maintenance than lead acid. I had a bank of both and charged the nickel-iron with solar and wind. I had the 24/7 small hydro generator on the lead acid.

Lithium is the best for performance, size, etc., but I see them making us dependent on foreign lithium. Lead acid is certainly a proven method. I went through 12 lead acid batteries in 10 years and never had to replace the four iron nickel and in fact, made a few dollars on them.

With today's high shipping charges, iron nickel can be a bigger initial investment but will pay off in the long run. The thing with buying iron-nickel used is to make sure they were properly maintained. For years we ran two local mountain top VHF and UHF repeaters on iron-nickel with solar charging and never had any problems.

4. John Brunner

From what I was reading, both lead acid and NiFe must be ventilated because of their fumes. I believe (but am not certain) that lithium are sealed. When I worked in communications (radio, microwave, satellite, fiber) we used Exide lead acid batteries in our earth station shelters. When I worked in office building security & access control systems, we used gel-cell batteries (3" x 3" x 6") to back up the security control panels. I assume that gel-cells are fine for indoor low-amperage applications, because that technology never arises in these conversations. Heck, maybe they're not even made anymore.

5. Dwight Ward

Registered

What does the maintenance of nickel-iron batteries involve, Faye?

...and why does some of my post show as a link? Weird.

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Dwight Ward

Registered

Were you using the kind of lead-acid batteries with removable caps that needed topping off with water? You're supposed to use distilled water but I never did.
    My current lead-acids are sealed.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I don't know. These were in remote regions at the base of microwave & satellite antenna towers. I don't remember if they even made sealed lead acid batteries in the 80s. Some of those stations were pretty remote...

Dwight Ward likes this.
  8. Dwight Ward

Registered

Batteries are called batteries because they are a battery of direct current cells, i.e., a line-up of cells. This is the kind of useless junk from fifty years ago that I remember even as I now forget people's names ten seconds after I learn them.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I had no idea.

Now, guess what this is:

Assault and battery.png

10. Dwight Ward

Registered

That's Frosty The Snowman wearing a combat helmet.

Technically speaking, that battery isn't a battery but a power cell, since it doesn't have multiple cells.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

That's an interesting point, because they are "C cell," "D cell," etc. I never even thought of a single cell not being "battery" [pl.]

Dwight Ward likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

What are the maintenance practices for nickel-iron batteries?
    The following maintenance practices will enable your nickel-iron batteries to continue to perform optimally:

• Replace the electrolyte every 10 years – The electrolyte degrades over time due to carbonate buildup, so replacing it every 10 years can help recover this loss.
    • Add distilled water to your batteries every 1-3 months- Water in nickel-iron batteries is also lost during electrolysis as oxygen and hydrogen.
    • Charge and discharge the battery regularly- Nickel iron batteries are designed for intense cycling, so you should always be charging and discharging them.

13. Dwight Ward

Registered

All that sounds minimal. Thanks, Faye.

14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting.

I have seen posts/ads whatever about incentives/tax credit/financing of some sort on Facebook. Living in the city I would think there would be limitations of some sort. To me it just doesn't seem feasible unless you lived in the suburbs or rural.

Dwight Ward likes this.