Apartment Complex Manager

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I'm aware of the leasing rules. But it seems to me that you entered into a lease agreement when you moved in that allowed you to rent TWO garages and apparently using them for storage was not an issue at that time. Has your lease been re-negotiated? A lease agreement is a contract of sorts, so either party can't just randomly change their mind about the content.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

No, Beth. When we moved in, the garage that we rented was used as a storage and that was fine with the manager. Our vehicle was parked in front of our apartment, until we rented the garage next to the one we already have. That garage was vacated by a resident that moved out. We never been part of an apartment lease where a re-negotiation of the lease could be done. All residents have to sign the lease agreement or not move in or not stay. IOW, the rules/policies are steadfast. Don't like part of them, the resident doesn't sign the renewed lease and moves out.

Beth, when new owners took over this complex early last year, some of the rules/policies were changed to how they wanted them. Residents haven't got a say-so in leasing rules/policies. Either abide by them, or not have your lease renewed by the manager and have to move out.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Some new residents have two vehicles or don't want to rent a garage for their vehicle and so either a residents two vehicles, or one vehicle, are parked in the parking lot.

Our upstairs neighbors each have a vehicle, which means three vehicles (three residents in the 2-bedroom apartment). A boyfriend/girlfriend and a buddy of the boyfriend. So, for one apartment, there is three vehicles in the parking lot. Another neighbor has two vehicles and a nice scooter. He parks the scooter in a garage that his daughter rents. He lives with his daughter and her husband.

If a husband and wife move into one of the apartments, have a vehicle each, but don't rent a garage, that's two more vehicles in the parking lot. A few residents here, bring their business vehicle home and park it in the parking lot.

Now, you get what the manager is saying about those that use their rented garage for storage, like we were. She has a list of residents that want to rent a garage, but can't due to nothing available, in part due to some residents using their garage for storage of things.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wonder if you could get someone to cough up their "Parking Space per Unit" ratio. I also wonder if folks are not doubling up in apartments these days because of all that's going on.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't see why the manager would care what the garage is used for if everyone pays the same amount of rent for the garage. Car or old magazines... same monthly rate.

I'm glad I don't live in apartment; I can put anything I want in my garage. :D

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, what I'm getting at is that there are those residents here that rent a garage, but instead of putting their vehicle into it, they use it for storage. In doing that, with the amount of vehicles in the complex now, parking spots are limited, because of those using their garage for storage instead of for their vehicle. We were glad to have two garages, but was ok with renting a storage where our boat is and vacating the garage we have things stored in.

I was also told that there are some residents that want a garage for winter, but none available. What I think happened is, some residents seen other residents using their garage for storage, or even run a business, and they complained that that's the reason they can't rent a garage. All are taken, but not all have a vehicle in them.

7. John Brunner

Management better monitor what those garages are used for and enforce it. That would suck if you gave up your storage space for someone who said they wanted to put their car there, only for them to decide they wanted to use it for extra storage space.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

They should probably make periodic inspections to ensure that people are actually sleeping in their apartments. After all, someone else might be able to use that apartment.

9. John Brunner

EXACTLY!!!!!

Someone could sneak a Prius up the stairs and into the living room. With those quiet electric motors, management would be none the wiser that an apartment was being used as a garage and people were sleeping in storage units!!! People are always trying to get away with something...

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

If you need a gargage for storeage, you have too much stuff. Ours is filled with his boat and all his wood working tools. And yes it is too full, but that his problem not mine. I am contantly getting rid of crap, and about to embark on a real biggire of ditching stuff. If you dont use it- lose it.

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sometimes that's easy to say "lose it", but, depending on what the item/items are, hard to do.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, John, I mentioned to the manager about those here that might refuse to use their garage the way the rule/policy states and she has asked..........vehicle only or vehicle/storage. But, their vehicle has to be in the garage. The maintenance supervisor told me "I have access to all of the garages".

There will always be those apartment residents that will, somehow/someway, go against some Lease Agreement rule/policy and, soon or later, will move out on their own or ?

All I know is that we are giving up our garage.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

Understood.

But as Beth pointed out, the management company may be the one going against the Lease Agreement they entered into with you.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

And, there's nothing we can do, but move our stuff out of the garage, of which we are doing. We don't necessarily like living here anymore, but have to sign another lease in January. Why? At our age, we sure can't do a move in the wintertime here! And, we need more time to look for someplace else, which might be in southeast Wyoming aka Cheyenne. Not sure yet though.

We don't want to complain much, because we will want our lease renewed. If the manager of an apartment complex thinks a resident is too much trouble and/or complainer, they can refuse to renew the lease.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Atta girl! My question is at our age why do we even store things?

Hedi Mitchell and John Brunner like this.