Are People Actually Getting Orders From Usps?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Al Amoling, Dec 20, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Wow!:eek:

My service has been questionable, but nothing like that.

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Got a notice yesterday that my Amazon was arriving yesterday. It didn't so today I look and it's been sent to zip 04096 and my zip is 04094. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have a bunch of stuff that was supposed to come today, and it still shows that they're out for delivery but it's after 7 PM, and they never come here after 7 PM so it's not gonna be delivered today. I did get one thing today, but that was it.

4. Al Amoling

Registered

I ordered a razor on Sept 1 and on sept 3rd it was delivered to a completely different town that's about 20 mile from ne. So I got in touvch with the vendor and they sent another order out which reach me on Sept 7th. Yesterday I started getting notes from USPS that the original is on it's way to me again. Maybe I'll get it so that I can refuse it and ship back to vendor.

Tony Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. John Brunner

There are real issues in zip codes adjacent to me. People go for weeks without getting mail. I just read a comment on Next Door where a guy just received a birthday card that was postmarked June 7. I know that my region has lost carriers to retirement and them just quitting. COVID may be a factor, but I don't believe it's the main issue.

Tony Page likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

This situation might just be getting even worse, with the new Biden regulations about vaccine requirements. Since all of the other carriers , like Fed-ex, UPS, etc., are required to have their employees vaccinated, but the USPS does not have that requirement; we will possibly see a shortage in delivery drivers.
    I was reading in the local Bonners Ferry facebook group that UPS (or maybe it was Fed-Ex) was not delivering to Bonners Ferry because there were no drivers available for the route, and no one wanted to apply for the job. They advised people to travel to the nearest UPS office (40 miles away) if they had any packages that were expected from UPS.
    If this is happening in other places also, and the other delivery companies lose a lot of drivers, more of the packages will be coming through the USPS system, making the deliveries even more messed up and taking longer.

We have one mail delivery person who simply does not deliver any kind of packages that does not fit into the mailbox. She takes them along in the mail truck, and just leaves the packages in the truck, and the mail delivery person the next day has the leftover packages, as well as her own new packages to deliver that day.

When this happens, we get some kind of silly notice that the USPS “can’t find our house” and please verify our address from Amazon, and this happens even when the mailman stopped and delivered our letters or other mail, just not the Amazon package.

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

The last 3 items I ordered were through USPS. Sometimes it's a joint operation. UPS will hand off to USPS locally. It's just not as much fun tracking packages with USPS.

The only times I had problems was during the first lockdown back in the spring of 2020, but that was due to the supplier, not the carrier. And the summer when they started "reorganizing" USPS for mail in ballots ahead of the election. I'm amazed at the logistics of all this. Both packages and regular mail.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

I spent the early part of my career in Logistics. I've supported repair techs out in the field. When they needed something STAT, I was either driving it to the bus station to put on a Greyhound or taking it to the airport for NFO (Next Flight Out), if there was an airport near them that had an upcoming flight. Then the tech had to drive to the bus station or the airport on his end to pick it up (which may have been a considerable distance.) Those were the only expedited freight options available at the time...DHL was the early air carrier on the scene, and they only did documents.

Before the days of cheap air freight, I would add a week or so to the anticipated lead time during the winter for things purchased from shippers west of the Rockies because snow could delay the delivery trucks coming across the mountains.

These days, I have a Fed Ex truck pull into my residential driveway on a Saturday morning delivering the coffee I bought from Walmart just a day or two earlier...and the freight is included in the already bargain internet price!!! I share your amazement.

Until recently, the tracking on the USPS tracking system was highly reliable. At some point I started to get conflicting status messages. I think their systems are overwhelmed. (Actually, I think their massive databases needed to be re-indexed.) My service here is good, and the packages move about efficiently, it's just the consumer tracking tools that have fallen apart. I'll sacrifice my ability to track as long as my stuff still shows up at the right place and on time.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  9. Al Amoling

Registered

today I get a notification, that because I sent the original back when it finally arrived, stating that they are going to credit me......now I've got to stop that

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I received a package today that I ordered one week ago. USPS created a label the next day (Saturday), but either the supplier didn't get the package to the PO, or USPS failed to pick it up, until Wednesday. USPS tracking wasn't clear on that. Once it left Utah it got here in 2 days.

I also think they may make separate deliveries here for packages, because sometimes packages will come early in the day. My normal mail always comes near 5pm.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

My impression on those initial delays is that Sellers electronically creates the USPS label for your order (USPS does not do it), the Amazon status then says "Shipped", and USPS status says "The Label Is Printed." But no physical package has been consigned to USPS by the Seller. If you look on the USPS tracking system you'll also see something to the effect of "Awaiting Package from Shipper." It's the illusion of progress the Seller wants you to see by printing the label early. Heck, the Seller can print the label before they are even in possession of the product to box up & send to us. There is no oversight. I've had stuff hang in that status for days, even over a week sometimes.

By way of illustration, you can create a USPS account and print shipping labels right now that will show in their system. You don't have to be a business to do it.

USPS home page.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Nancy Hart likes this.
  12. Al Amoling

Registered

got in touch with vendor....they said that because I was so good they would give me a credit anyway

13. John Brunner

I'm one of the fortunate ones here in Central Virginia. People in the next county over go for weeks without getting any mail deliveries. It's recently improved to once a week there because carriers are being brought in from other districts. One woman was on TV stating that when she goes to the post office to get her mail, the line is 3 hours long.

I have an Amazon order due for delivery tomorrow via USPS, and I usually sign up on the carrier's website (USPS, Fed Ex, UPS, etc) to get email updates as the package wends its way through the system. So I signed up on the USPS website yesterday morning as soon as a tracking number was available. It just occurred to me that I've not seen any updates, and I'm supposed to get delivery tomorrow, so I went and looked.

USPS is still showing the status as of yesterday at 7:36PM:

20211005 usps eta.jpg
    Amazon has an updated USPS delivery status as of 8:56AM today:

20211005 amazon eta.jpg
    Amazon has this information from its own internal receiving process, not from USPS updates.

So the package was received at USPS Sparrows Point MD, left USPS Sparrows Point MD, was delivered to USPS Ashland VA, then delivered to Amazon, was picked up by USPS at Amazon this morning, and is likely in transit to my regional post office as we speak (if it's not there already), and the USPS status says "Sparrows Point MD still waiting receipt." I thought for sure all of this was automated when they scan the stuff along the way.

I'm not griping too much. I'd rather have my stuff show up on time and have inaccurate updates than have my stuff show up late. One can only wonder what would happen if the USPS had to get vaccinated.

14. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well then the spike proteins and other bad stuff would be carried by the carriers , and any woman hoping to have a full term live baby would have to stay away from them all or risk the now observed miscarriages in pregnant women from shed vaccines and perhaps other toxins from close proximity to carriers carrying and shedding abortificants from the vaccines they got.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered