Are You A Sexagenarian? 60 To 69 Years Old Please Respond

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Lon Tanner, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess I wasn't clear. I think dying in one's sleep would be a good way to go, regardless of the cause. I dread other manner of death such as long-term debilitating illness, dementia, etc.

Lois Winters and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I seriously didn’t mean to turn the thread on it’s ear and make the focus on death but if one does make plans for the future, it’s probably the one thing that is certain. Death is, after all, an integral part of life and all else are merely possibilities.

All that said, you probably brought up the one thing that interrupts more people’s plans than even the prospect of death does and also the one thing that concerns me most.
    I was once asked if I would join a hospital ministry and after a little thought I turned it down. It isn’t as though being around people at death’s door bothers me for indeed, I have danced many a waltz with lady death on many occasions and have seen many who have succumbed to that enchantment and left the floor holding her hand.

It’s the condition of those who are in the hospital that bothers me.
    People who thought that they have a definite future here on earth but everything is now on hold or even terminated because of a debilitating disease or an accident.
    When people are suffering, no matter what my exterior portrays, the interior is in turmoil and though it may sound selfish, that kind of turmoil I avoid at all cost.
    It takes a very special person to look at suffering as an opportunity to bring hope to someone for more worldly ventures to a situation that is void of those probabilities.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We are happy to be back in Colorado, but the virus fear has turned some of our summer fun upside-down. We aren't as "energetic" as we used to be, but for some, older age brings that on. One thing we haven't done yet, but will be very soon, is getting our boat out on the water. While in Florida, it was tide times, heat/humidity, wind and wildfire smoke. Here it is heat and wind. And, we can only hope that the much younger boaters have patients with us at the boat ramp (launching/retrieving). We are definitely slower than we use to be.

As far as moving. We will end up moving one more time, but it will be locally, not somewhere else in the U.S..

4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm an OCTOgenarian, man!:D

There's a strong representation of us on this Forum, with a few even more senior than ME!

Hal, 84 next month.

5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

86 next month for me.

Hal Pollner likes this.
  6. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Here I am, every inch a sexagenarian. Turned 65 three months ago. No one noticed. :D Will definitely NOT be working nor moving. My bones will tell me if any plans can be carried out.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Happy belated birthday, Thomas. It's nice to see you back.

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I turned 66 in May. I have things I really need to do to my house before I lack the capability instead of merely lacking motivation. I gotta get it insulated somehow because I won't always be able to haul in firewood. Other than that, no real plans.

I've posted before that the men in my family are not this long-lived:
    Father-55
    Older brother-53
    Younger brother-60

I have no idea how I made it this far. Yet here I sit on my couch at 66 typing to you all.

Like Beth, I don't fear death. I just fear the pain of dying. Dementia is not a bad way to go. My mother had it. You are aware of nothing. But I live alone. It would sure be interesting.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Herb Sutton

Herb Sutton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In 14 years I will be 100. Some things are hard to plan.

That idea of going to bed and not waking up sounds good. It is what my mother did. My poor father went the hard way with cancer.

10. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

w e're late 60's.....way we look at it...good thing we don't know what the future holds...

probably drive off a cliff....ha!

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can see the headlines now...
    "Thelma and Teresa"

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  12. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Sexagenarians are not even elderly!