Are You Envious Of The Joneses

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Susan Paynter, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm sure there was a time I had some envy but, perhaps even resentment but no more.
    I have what I need and more and have had for so many years, the lean days and years
    are almost forgotten. I have gone where I wanted to go, with few exceptions bought what
    I wanted to buy. For a good long time I am content with few regrets so I can say I envy
    no man. I am glad when friends, neighbors, and family do well. I no longer dwell on such
    things. I have arrived at the threshold of death and wonder if I will soon plunge over or
    meander around its edges, looking for an easier path down to the abyss.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That may be, in part, because those folks have made bad choices and others are paying for those bad choices.

3. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I once heard a pastor talk about "covet". When asked how to know if you covet, he replied, "If you walk into someone's fancy house, admire what they have, and say to God, 'Why can't I have stuff like this?', you are coveting, but if you walk into that house, and say to God,' Thank you for giving these people such wonderful things.', you are NOT coveting."

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry, but I don't understand how you equate health problems (or any other) with the "sins of our forefathers." So something my grandfather did caused my cancer? Not buying.

I also disagree that having faith and belief is a choice. For people like me, that couldn't be farther from the truth. I am a "truth seeker" and can't accept that for which I can see no tangible proof. Believe me, I have tried.

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Fortunately, I have blind faith and follow what has been handed down to me tweaking it to my understanding and truth of the scriptures. This may not be acceptable to some but it has taken me a mile farther than what I would have been without that faith.
    Sins of our forefathers is a metaphor denotes our biblical parents Adam and Eve.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2021
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

"Unfortunately?" Please explain. As for the sins of our fathers, I believe that can have many interpretations... none of which make sense to me.

Sorry we are seeming to drag this discussion off-topic, but I honestly do ENVY people of faith. :D

7. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Envy is natural and to a certain level, good even.

Envy is that which pushes us to attain higher levels. "Gosh, I wish I had a nice car like that!" can push us to work harder to get what we want.

Don't confuse envy for jealousy. Jealousy eats your soul; envy makes you aspire to something greater.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

This can be very, very true. I envied people who worked in Purchasing and Inventory Control. They made much better salary than I did and didn't do the physical work I did in warehousing/shipping/receiving. When I finally got my break to be a Junior Buyer, having my own office-computer-files-phone, I jumped on it. Before getting the job, which did include Inventory Control Management, I was motivated enough to take some online Purchasing and Inventory classes. No problem passing all of them.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Envy, to me at least, implies that I resent someone else having something that I would like to have, and I don't feel that except, perhaps, when it is clear that they didn't come by it honestly. I frequently come across people who have jobs, possessions, or qualities that I'd like to have, but it's not like I'd want to take it from them, or that I am angry with them for having what I do not have.

Faye Fox, Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

After giving it some thought, there is someone I envy.

@Cody Fousnaugh and his wife for their happy marriage. All the wealth and possessions on earth are like dust unless you have someone to share it with.

Cody, I don't begrudge y'all's happiness, just envy it a little bit. :)

Nancy Hart and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Your life, at least to some extent is based upon the decisions that you make and the priorities upon which those decisions are based.

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Right.

The other factor is the conscious length of your timeline in the moment you're making such decisions.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you so much, Shirley. We just celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary the 10th of this month. We have so much video and pictures of everything we done, including a great trip to Yellowstone National Park and Mt. Rushmore.

After going thru our previous two marriages we've each had, this one is definitely "#1" for happiness!

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Naw! Envying the Joneses would make me a liberal. I prefer to stay independent and appreciate what little I have and be proud I earned every bit of it.

15. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Well that right there is is some strange logic,or more probably none at all, but Bless yere soul anyways!

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.