Are You Sometimes Just Too Old Fashioned?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I am old-fashioned in many ways, but as I rule I try to live and let live. How other people live their lives is not my concern until it affects me and mine.

For instance, on a lot of movies/TV shows now, I see families with teenage children where the "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" is allowed to sleep over in the teen's room. This would never happen under my roof in a million years. Some level of propriety will always be appropriate in my world and I don't care who else thinks this is OK. For me, it is not. Let them sneak around like we all had to do. :D

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Ditto! When you allow teens to do the uglies without sneaking around, then you have deprived them of an important part of being a teen. The idea that they are hiding it from their parents is part of growing up responsibly. In later years when they find out they were hiding nothing, it adds to their maturity.

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We were fairly permissive parents but I always had my "line you do not cross". I remember our oldest daughter climbing out of her 2nd story bedroom window, so one night I sat in the dark and waited on her to drop down from the patio roof. Fun times. :D:D

Faye Fox and Al Amoling like this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

But back in the olden days, the boy could sleep in the same bed as the girl but they had a board between them to preserve propriety. I don't know how big the board was. ;)

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, all of those young folks who think all of their arm/neck/back/chest/legs tattoos are cute, along with all of the facial piercings, have to remember...........not everyone in America thinks the way you do! There are those that think all of that is plainly ugly and have no idea why the young folks of today are doing it.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Oh good. We're back to tatoos for the 4 millionth time.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, the "old fashion" types tattoos were ("Love Mom") and the military ones were fine. When there were only a couple/few, but that is way gone today.

And, it seems like when a husband has tattoos, the wife fully accepts them. We have a family member that has them and we don't even associate with her anymore, and she's the only one in the family who has them. She's also the one that went from being totally straight to totally lesbian and married a lesbian.

So, since the thread is about being "old fashion", yes, we are both "old fashion" when it comes certain things of today.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What's all this I hear about "Tattoo?" Why do people hate him so much? If it hadn't been for Tattoo, no one would know when the planes arrived. Can you imagine spending your whole life being able to recognize people solely by their belt buckles??? And then there's the jokes. Of course he could only make small talk! What do you expect?

[​IMG]

What? Not that Tattoo? INK????? Well...that's different.

Never Mind.
    [​IMG]

Marie Mallery and Al Amoling like this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Nevermind.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Registered

When my daughter left the home for school, I told her, if she became pregnant, she had to deal with it herself.
    I remember one time she got mad before that and 'ran away from home' via her window for a few hours. I locked all the windows and doors, while she was out, to let her think about things for a while. It only happened once. I never threatened. I promised. I guess I am not old fashioned; I'm just evil.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Haha. You ARE my evil twin, Mary. I locked my daughter out one time, too. :D:D

Faye Fox and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My youngest daughter was four when she informed she was leaving home. Made her a knap sack complete with a sandwich, stuck her on the front porch, turned out the light. She never got to the first step and she was crying to come back in.. it was dark outside ;).
    The oldest one ran away with some friends, as they all had bad grades and did not want to go home. We lived in a smaller town back then. It went on long enough that the police were, and arrested them all at some railroad crossing. She was in shock, that it was against the law for a minor to ran away. Dentitions, tears later, she never tried to run again. Mainly cause we had to read her diary for info for the police. :D

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I never had the chance to be an evil mother, but I was an evil great auntie once. The two fake teen GGN's were staying with me as they did when they had trouble getting along with their mother. I gave them a safe place to stay so we could talk it over. I had one rule, no leaving my place for any reason during the night unless they went back home and left me a note. Don't ever wake me up unless it is a serious emergency.

I got up to pee and noticed they were gone. Their car was gone, so I showed those little twips by engaging the inside bolt locks they had disengaged. Having a key meant nothing.

I got up my regular time, 3 AM, and saw a cop car pull up, the officer came to the door and was patient while I disengaged all the locks. He explained they had patched things up with their mama and were headed home when they were T-boned. They had spent the night at the police station since their mother wasn't able to come to pick them up until later in the morning. Could they stay with me? Of course, I let them in and apologized for jumping to conclusions. They showed me their note left on the frig on the magnetic note pad. Not their fault I didn't want to wake up enough to think about checking the notepad.

Had I checked the notepad, I wouldn't have engaged the Ft Knox inside bolts and they could have gotten in with their key.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Registered

And yet, today we would be neglectful or abusive parents for that 'severe' kind of discipline. Can't remember which.

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

You would be considered a terrorist.