Are You Surviving The Government Shutdown?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I voted for Trump but I’ve become disillusioned with him and the far right or even the conservatives.

I see a lot of fake news going on...both sides do it...I see the right do it on here.

TBH I’m sick of both sides.

The truth and the problem is that Trump is playing to his base only....and not all Republicans even voted for him.

He’s alienated a lot of people by his antics and thats too bad.

Somewhere there has to be a sane middle ground and that’s what I’m looking for...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Lulu Moppet likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

But @Chrissy Cross, Trump is not far right. I think he was a Democrat for most of his life, and just switched to Republican in recent years. Sarah Palin isn't far right either, although she has been depicted as such and is even believed to be so by many on the Right. I know the woman, have had dinner with her, and she and my wife were acquaintances in the past. She is a religious and social conservative, but she is a bit wacko. She was a good mayor of Wasilla, but she was a terrible governor and spent money like water and taxed everything that would stand still. John McCain rescued Alaska from her, and it was one of the few good things he ever did. I know, I got off track, but I was trying to clear up a misconception. Trump is a bit wacko, too, and he holds some conservative views, but he is not far right. He is depicted as such by the MSM however.

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That’s why I voted for him because I didn’t think he was that far right but he seems to be now.

As far as govt shutdowns...I’m not affected except for one thing that’s important to me and that’s the FDA recalls and alerts.

And I haven’t seen any since the end of December.

I’m ocd about my food and it was something I checked every day...

Lulu Moppet likes this.
  4. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

MSM does not confuse him with the far right in my readings and watchings. Instead, they seem to consider him not up to the job; unqualified; unstable; a potential threat to democracy and America's standing as leader of the free world; a man with authoritarian leanings who values the dictators of the planet and not our traditional allies.

5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I don't think he is unstable (I know you do) but I feel he does treat things a bit like a celebrity game show. I have listened to interviews with many of his advisors, and some of them don't consider him in the way he is depicted in the media. He has been attacked from all sides since he began his campaign, and I have never seen that before. I DO appreciate his interrupting our descent into Progressivism as I believe it will be the demise of the nation. That is why I compare him to Reagan; he did the same thing. We went through a reconstruction of government after Watergate, and are suffering many of the consequences of those changes now. Congress and the Executive were changed, and the Democratic party was converted from a party of the working people to a collection of special interest groups under Carter (see Hamilton Jordan's chronicle of those years). The Republicans were not revamped until the 1990s, and since then the polarization in the country has increased.

Trump has never been a politician and hasn't yet learned to act like one. He is still operating in the same framework as he does in business...whether that is good or bad, only time will tell.

6. Lulu Moppet

Registered

Don:
    A Boy from Georgia: Coming of Age in the Segregated South
    Crisis: The last year of the Carter presidency.

I found these 2 books by Hamilton Jordan, a name I had forgotten. I bet you're recommending the 2nd book, but I'm more interested in the first! If it's not in my library system..........well, I don't buy books anymore. Thanks for the recommendation.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I also have to add that when I go and read on a forum that’s mainly all liberals...that upsets me also.

It’s best if I stay away from politics on forums.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Lulu Moppet

Registered

I can't agree you should stay away Chrissy, but to me, you are so right that all progressives glad-handing each other isn't thrilling either.

About walking the middle of the road--sooner or later a car's gonna hitcha. Watch out! :eek:

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yep, the second is the one I read years ago. I don't know if I still have it, but my comment is something I seem to remember from that book. It was like a light going off in my head to explain so much of what occurred during that time.

Lulu Moppet and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We'd be better off if the government spent less money. I am upset that we're going to give them backpay, so we won't actually be saving money. Surely, those who are working need to be paid but those who are not working should be in line for unemployment benefits like anyone else who is laid off of work. As for restaurants in the Washington DC region, that's just a part of doing business. Whenever a manufacturing plant is shut down, there are the same repercussions to that company's suppliers, and if it's a large company, there are repercussions to several different businesses that served employees who no longer have a job. Restaurants, hotels, and pretty much every business serving federal workers in Washington DC do very well through most of the year, so I'm sure they'll be able to tough it out. If not, others will take their place.

11. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

There is no discussion with brick walls.

The vase on the table is blue but some will insist it is orange .. no because they - themselves - using their own minds - believe it is orange .. it is because they are lemmings.

They do not fact check .. the listen to sour grapes and follow that mentality.

They are unable to discuss .. they only yell, scream, fight and belittle.

I love that this country is diverse and that we are able to talk about things. What I don't enjoy is a bulldozer with no controls constantly blabbering nonsense.

I do not associate myself with any political party .. I do not fully agree with any political party.

My choices are based on what is best for this country and the people of this country.

My opinion is equally as important as anyone else. I respect what another has to say and many time I consider what they have said enough to move my original feelings in a new or slightly different direction.

My response the the original question posed here is simple.

I am doing fine with the "shutdown".

It's not really a shutdown because the consequences aren't there.

Things are running better with this current president than they did with the last one.

There has been a lot of progress and it is my opinion that therein lies the rub with the Dems today.

They talk the talk but they don't walk the walk.

The current President is walking the walk and that doesn't set well with those who are all talk and no action.

He wants to accomplish what they promised but didn't do. They need to get their sorry butts back in those chairs and do the work they were hired to do and think about this country and the people in this country before themselves.

I am glad this President is running this country like a business. It's about time it was run that way !

Will he be successful with all of his endeavors .. of course not .. but at least he has the balls to stand up and try AND he has been incredibly successful so far ... far more has been accomplished in his short time in office than the entire time the last one was in office.

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I totally agree, Maggie!

Maggie Mae likes this.
  13. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I find it a bit ironic that you say you're not trying to convince anyone but then turn around an imply that we who believe in supporting our President belong to a cult.

14. Lulu Moppet

Registered

Al: "I find it a bit ironic that you say you're not trying to convince anyone but then turn around an imply that we who believe in supporting our President belong to a cult."

You seem to be a very honorable man, Al. I apologize for using the word 'cult.'

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

thanks Lulu