1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Areas By Race

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 28, 2017.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

In my child hood we had a saying that sticks and stones might break my bones but names will never hurt me. Then came politico correctness that name are the new weapon. You are a Nazi, your racist, you are, homophobic, and the list goes on. It is now worse to be called a name than being beaten up, German can be invaded and will not fight back because they will be called Nazi. Even the president of the US is not immune to this name calling no evidence but lots of names. News reporters losing their jobs because of the name calling. It seem that everyone got along just fine until they weaponized this politico correctness and started name calling. I live in a country who are 60% brown people 30% black people and 10% others I walk down the road and hear all kinds of remarks that would get you thrown in jail in other countries but here they just laugh and go on with life.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ha - made me giggle :p

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  3. I hope it's ok to pop in here- titled 'Buy a Dictionary!' addresses what you're saying in general, including ways some misuse that particular word for their own purposes:
    http://mycommentary.weebly.com/buy-a-dictionary.html

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. I've learned demographics do not always represent the attitudes of the majority- sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. So to me it's two entirely different subjects- if I'd ask 'Would I fit in?' it'd be more along the line of the population's attitudes, rather than racial composition.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, a young black lady was asking people on a relocation forum for Denver, Colorado "would I fit in" and a number of replies were letting her know that the demographics for blacks in Denver was very low.

When we lived in Denver metro south (2002 thru 2007) Denver was less than 1% black. Whites and Hispanics comprised most Denver's population.

If the demographics for a certain area a person is looking to move to is really low for that person's race, I'd think they would give moving there a second thought.
    How many of us would move to Compton, East L.A. or the town in south Texas (along the Mexican border) where the primary language is Spanish???

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It's not the language or the people but the crime and gangs that would keep me from those areas. I get along just fine in California where the main language is Spanish. :). Stretching the truth a little but not much.

Patsy Faye and Janice Martin like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

raising-hand.jpg
    I lived on the Texas-Mexico border for more than twenty years.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The eastern part of Aurora, by the E-470 freeway, is fine, with very nice homes as well as a great Mall, but other parts are crime filled. Areas by I-225 can be "hazardous to a person's health" also.

Anyone can go the Denver news app and see just how much crime is in Denver and some surrounding cities. Like here, quite a bit of gun violence.

We had a house south of Denver, in Parker. When we lived in Parker, it was almost crime-free and we loved it!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My niece lives in Parker, she's the one that's a third grade school teacher and expecting her first child in August.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For me, if I don't want to live in a particular area, the reason might be because I don't want to have to be afraid to go outside at night, or I don't want to have to deal with a high level of crime, or that I want to be able to shop within my neighborhood, and I might want to feel that I am accepted in the neighborhood. I don't care what skin tone my neighbors have or what countries their parents came from.

Speaking a common language is nice but it didn't bother me that most of the people around me spoke Spanish when I lived in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas because I moved there, knowing that. It would bother me if a bunch of people moved into my town, changing the common language and culture. I know there were people upset when the Vietnamese moved into Garden Grove, California because the people who lived there before suddenly became the outsiders, and I can understand that. I was living near there at the time, and that happened quickly.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Bottom line for me is feeling safe. I've been around and exposed to so many different cultures and languages that it doesn't phase me, especially now when I don't even interact with my neighbors, they could all be Chinese and I wouldn't care...as long as they behaved like responsible people.

When I was young and a mother my priorities were different and I wanted neighborhoods with good school systems etc but these things aren't important to me anymore.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, the attitudes of people living in a certain area can certainly be ruled by the racial composition of the area.

Janice Martin likes this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Sooo sorry, I do think perhaps that should of been of been on another thread.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

No problem