Around The Yard

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Beth Gallagher, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter gave me a small succulent dish garden for Christmas a couple of years ago. The plants outgrew the dish and this aloe vera was one of them. It has been very prolific and I have a couple of pots from that one little plant. I've never had one that bloomed, either, so I don't know what's magic about this one. :D This is the second year that it has bloomed.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My Christmas cactus is still blooming. It started blooming between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It only has 2 or 3 blooms at a time, though.

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Mine blooms like that, too... just one or two blooms at a time. It's never covered with flowers like @Yvonne Smith 's!! Mine stopped blooming by the end of January, though.

Jake Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My daughter has one that does not know if it is a Christmas, Thanksgiving or Easter Cactus. blooms for each holiday and pretty heavily. She feeds it some fancy fertilizer. Fox Farm?

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I have some of that Fox Farm; it was recommended for the Kratky hydroponics.

I did some reading on the Christmas cactus and I think one problem I have is that mine gets too much overflow lighting from the Aerogarden it sits next to. I thought getting extra light would help (and it has added a LOT of green growth), but apparently the cactus needs a lot of darkness to set blooms. It's recommended to sit the plants in a closet or somewhere dark for 14 hours a day but I don't have time to be wagging potted plants around, so it is what it is. :D

6. Mary Stetler

Registered

That might explain it. Hers sat in the east picture window in all natural light, because we seldom used the 'living room'--kinda like the old parlor for company.

7. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My iPad brings up pictures and little videos it puts together; really a nice feature. This picture just popped up from several years back of 3 different clematis I had planted on a arched trellis. The shrub in the lower right was a Daphne. Beautiful plant with fragrant flowers and deadly berries.

upload_2023-3-17_21-44-38.jpeg

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Looks beautiful, Thomas.

9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We used Master Blend in hydroponics. I don't like using non organic but the organic stink was not good.

I have been digging up umbrella and alow vera plants and putting them out on dirt road with sign ' free plants, so far they are gone by evening. Put out about 50 so far this year.
    I just put them in grocery plastic bags and throw little dirt water on them, till whoever gets them can transplant. Have lots more to give away or transplant they really like to spread. I bought a little flower garden fence to put up since the two dogs like to get into my flower bed. I keep putting off hammering the post into the ground.

We have radishes about ready to harvest and flowers all over the squash. We had tro cover them with seed cloth this last week ,got into low 39s.

10. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My Easter cactus is finally showing just a few buds...

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

My last post reminded me of another saying to put up ,' a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step'. Confucious?

I need to tell myself this tomorrow.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The little azalea that we planted last week has a bloom! I didn't expect any blooms this year since it is newly-planted, but what a pretty color this is.

IMG_2234.jpg

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Jakes mothers favorite plant. She is missed.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My mother loved azaleas too. I wish I had inherited her green thumb; she could grow anything and loved flowers.

15. Mary Stetler

Registered

• My dad had azaleas lining his driveway in NY. All red ones. There was sort of an arboreatum back home near Crestwood, that a private guy put in, featuring a hillside covered in azaleas. Everyone would drive that road in the spring just to see them. They don't seem to grow here.