Around The Yard

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Beth Gallagher, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When you grow your own, it is difficult to even purchase seed. There are so many genotypes of sweet corn now, that I have a hard time finding varieties. I always want the su types, as they taste the most like corn. The aothers all concentrate on sugar, so they are sweeter but less "corny". Old heritage-type tomatoes also taste the best to me as well.

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I always enjoyed the "delicious" variety of tomato. They averaged over 1 lb each but I did get one close to three pounds once. Most people will pick Brandywine for taste it's another good one.
    I can't recall the name of the Corn I planted, I believe it had the word Silver in it, maybe silver queen.

3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

On Friday we got a delivery of plants that I had ordered.
    It contained Asclepias butterfly plant, I ordered 5 yellow plants, and 5 mix colors. Should get them in the ground this week.
    Also received 5 Milena Fleur border Dahlias for pots. 2 have been potted.
    Here's what they look like.

85777.jpg

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

This is not even Biden's fault.
    I was so excited because all of my fruit trees are bursting with blooms. Even my PEACH tree, in Wisconsin! but there are no pollinators. What few there were are being eaten by birds--orioles and some little tiny birds. At our house AND the farm.
    So fruit and veggies might be in short supply too.

5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you have an fruit tree farm? If so you might be able to get a beekeeper move there hives to help with pollination. Just a thought.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been buying some used tractor implements, and have scoured the postings in 3 regional Craigslist Farm & Garden sections (covers a broad agricultural region) for the past several weeks, and while I've not seen honeybee services, I have seen the occasional "nucs" for sale. I'm no expert, but it seems as though the "nucs" are sealed frames (to prevent the bees from escaping) containing the honeybees and some food to keep them alive, and the marked queens are provided separately. You merely unseal the frames, introduce the queen, and let the bees do their thing...no maintenance required.

Bee Nucs.jpg

I don't know if the primary motive for the intended buyers is to make honey or to get pollinators...the ads don't say. Most likely the two are so inextricably bound that the human motive is irrelevant.

Yvonne Smith and Tony Page like this.
  7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

About 12 years ago my wife and I were walking towards the back of our property, when we heard this loud buzzing sounds like a chainsaw, we looked up and there were hundreds of bees swarming. Carefully we backed away and just watched from a distance. They started clinging to a branch of a large holly tree and to each other. Eventually they look like a large football shaped group of bees. Afraid of getting stung I called a work acquaintance who worked on the side as a beekeeper, he came right over. Without protection he cut the branch and put the whole football hive into a wooden box. Apparently there was a shortage of honey bees, so he was very happy to get these.
    From what I'm told honey bees do this before they find their permanent hive, it's like an interim methods for them to stay together. It would have lasted only a couple of weeks before they moved on.
    Within the next year this happened two more times this time I did not call the beekeeper since I knew it was only last a couple of weeks, we let nature take it's course. It did not happen again since then but was wonderful to see first hand.

8. John Brunner

Interesting stuff. I've never heard of this before.

When I see these bee kits for sale around here, my first thought is "How do you keep the bears from destroying them?"

Tony Page likes this.
  9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

By yelling shoo Haha

Sounds to me like you have to put them in a cage or jail to protect them.

I do have photos of the bees in the holly tree when I come across them I will post them.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

I've been here 12 years and have had bear at my house a few times. I yell "Shoo!" and they look back at me with this over their heads:

ham thought bubble.jpg

Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yep, Silver Queen is one of the old tasty varieties. I can't grow it here as our season is too short. Lots of good tomatoes, and the two you mentioned are great. There are several "Brandywine" varieties, and not all of them are the same.

Tony Page likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

A good electric fence will go a long way to protect your hives. Be aware that if you are trying to maximize homey production it is a great deal of work.

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  13. John Brunner

I was wondering the degree to which electric fences might repel bears, and how often bears hit a level of desperation where Need overrides Pain, and they barge right through.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    Tony Page likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

How great you guys got to watch that. I actually have bees but they sleep in until they are sure the weather won't turn cold, apparently. I used to worry the hive died, but then, when I had all but given up, Surprise! There they were.
    I wonder if banging on the hive would work to wake them up:eek: or if they know something else I don't know like a freeze in June.

Tony Page likes this.
  15. John Brunner

Honeybees don't "hibernate" in the traditional sense. They don't leave their hives in the cold months (with no flowers blossoming, there's no need to)...they store up enough food to last the winter. The workers may drive the drones from the hive, especially if resources get scarce, since their stud services are no longer needed and a new brood will hatch when the weather warms.

The queen bumblebee does engage in traditional hibernation, fattening herself up to sleep during the cold months. The rest of the bumblebee hive dies off. The queens are the last to be born in the season, when they mate, fatten up, hibernate, and lay their eggs after awakening in the spring.

Interesting article here

Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.