Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder- Adhd

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is another thing that I think should never have been allowed as a method of treating ANY kind of childhood behavior problems, and that is electroshock treatment. They are trying to make it illegal, but it is beyond me why it could even be considered a safe and effective treatment in the first place ? ?
    This is inhumane cruelty to do to a child, regardless of what the behavior problem is. They are saying that it helps in cases where the child is cutting themself, and similar situations.
    I remember they had a similar thing that they were doing to people who were getting a weight-loss therapy, and when they showed them a piece of cake or other food that the person liked, then they also gave them a shock, and eventually the person was terrified of even seeing the food .
    I guess it was effective; but still (even doing it to an adult), it was a cruel and abusive way to achieve the end effect.

http://sputniknews.com/us/20160425/1038541488/fda-bans-kids-shock-therapy.html

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith IMO, electroshock therapy is bizarre, at best, and barbaric, at worst. Having been the unfortunate recipient of numerous electric shocks over my lifetime, I can personally state that purposeful shock implementation is horrible for me to contemplate. Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Martin,
    I was thinking the same thing, when I was growing up, my mother had breakfast for us, if she didn't have time to make us eggs with beacon, and potatoes, she make us a smoothie, and that was very filling. I still make them, and I use to make them for my daughters before they went to school, it was fast and easy and I had to work. Another thing, schools, their lunch, has anyone ever since what is being severed at school? I used to work as an aid during lunch, and I was in shock, to see what the kids were eating, everything was out of a can or from the freezer. Burnt hot-dogs were given to the kids, I was surprise that some actually ate them. That when I decide I would make my daughter her lunch, this way I knew what she was getting.

The little girl that my daughter takes care of, that all she eats. lunchables, TV dinners, snacks all sweets, she gets an apple or an orange, which she doesn't eat. I've told him that I will make her breakfast, like the day before, yesterday, I made scrabbles eggs with hash browns and orange juice, yesterday I made some cream of wheat, toast and O.J. In the afternoon, I made some rice, bean and enchiladas, I guess that wasn't good enough for her. This morning when she was dropped off, she brought her own food. I made me and my daughter breakfast, and she ate what she brought. And we have notice that she's always in some kind of mood, always having problems with other kids, and she always has to have her way. When ever she plays a game with one of the kids it has to be her way, she cheats and when I tell her what she did wrong, she denies it. Like I mentioned before she doesn't like to be challenged on anything, she rather be on tablet than to learn something. (hope I didn't go off the topic).
    Parents who have children in elementary should go see what is being served during lunch maybe they will take some time the day before and make their children a healthier lunch, or even have the kids help them make their lunch. When we were growing up we go home for lunch, one day I got to eat at school, and everything was freshly made, even in Jr. high school, their lunch were all freshly made, the tuna sandwich's were the best. Now that's what I call a good meal.

Martin Alonzo and Janice Martin like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Most mornings, I had cereal, a half a grapefruit, oatmeal, Malt-o-Meal, or something along those lines. We usually only had a bacon, eggs and potato kind of breakfast on weekends.

Martin Alonzo and Rachel Rodarte like this.
  5. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Veteran Member
    Registered

Same here, when my husband comes home on the weekends I make a big breakfast, just like the you mentioned, as for myself I rather eat something with chili, like leftovers, or I can go through the day without eating. When I make eggs I add, onions, beans, Serrano's and cut up hot dogs, this is my meal during the week.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This is surprising to me - that medication for ADHD as amphetamine. I am not well versed with drugs, particularly illegal drugs like heroin and cocaine but we had an orientation in school and I remember amphetamine to be an "upper" - a drug that makes the person active. In fact, the most common illegal drug in our country is called shabu which is metamphetamine hydrochloride.

I wonder why doctors would prescribe such drug for an ADHD patient. My husband's nephew has an ADHD and he is now in America probably with that prescription too. The father said - they were here last January - his son who is now 22 years old is holding a job in a warehouse that is a program for ADHD patients. He is earning a little and good enough that he has a social life. Now, I imagine that nephew with that prescribed drug... it's scary.

7. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

In ADD or ADHD kids, the brain waves move slowly. That is why they always need to be doing something. They are unconsciously trying to make the brain waves move quicker (i.e. the same speed as nonADD/ADHD people). This is why this kids benefit from lots of physical activity like soccer. Ritalin (or similiar amphetamines) increase the speed of brain waves, thus calming the child cause he no longer needs to stimulate his brain.

8. Allow kids to have normal childhoods, and you'd see all of these so-called childhood mental health and behavioral issues virtually disappear.
    Kids today are a) excessively structured, and b) under too much pressure. It's enough to make most kids burst apart at the seams.

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Janice Martin During the year I taught high school math, I asked some of the smarter young people who nonetheless displayed bizarre behavior related to appearance, why they were motivated thusly. One young man who messed with his hair rather ridiculously, defying school appearance code, told me the main reason was "peer pressure". Frank

Janice Martin likes this.
  10. Yes, I've heard about that, too; but what I was referring to was what I think has played a large role in today's public school mess- when the government learned
    some foreign countries had better student performance, it became like some kind of stupid competition. No more recess, no more fun & games, gotta outdo
    foreign kids.

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Janice Martin likes this.
  12. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Some kids grow out of ADD/ADHD while others do not. However, getting them involved in a sports activity they love will give them a coping skill they might need for the rest of their life. You must keep the brain waves active by being physically active.

13. Michelle Anderson

Michelle Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Then again, we had a 12-year old who most definitely needed medications. Plural.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I wasn't convinced that his medications really helped, though.

Michelle Anderson likes this.
  15. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a friend who has a child with ADHD. Aside from the medication, the child and the parents are undergoing psychotherapy sessions to address the child's condition. But then again, it is best to be recommended by the child's physician.