Availability Of Ammunition

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm having trouble finding ammo for my .380 Ruger. Although I can find it, I can't simply stop by a gun shop and be sure they'll have it. There's no problem finding shotgun shells but that's not something I enjoy shooting just for the hell of it.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have no trouble finding common calibers of ammo, but I have not looked for .380 as I don't have that caliber tool.

3. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Check with the IRS, I understand they have a ton of ammo. For what purpose I can only guess.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've not shot my .380 in a long time, much less try to buy ammo for it. I do recall that when there have been general shortages in the past, .380 was the last to free up because resources went to the calibers there was broader demand for.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

What, someone doesn't like the IRS? We've never had a problem with then. In fact, they've given us a refund on our taxes even though my wife made a mistake that we owed.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't have a lot of ammo, that is .22, 9mm, but we don't have to keep going to a store to buy more. We simply don't shoot up a lot of ammo, like some do, in one day at the Range. Unfortunately, whether it's a Day Membership or Year Membership, our Ranges here are quite expensive. Much more than the $112 per year that we were paying in Jacksonville, Florida.

We bought our ammo at Walmart, Sportsman's Warehouse and Academy Sports.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I thought you could have ammo shipped to a home address but not guns. I can't do it, so I don't know, but I understand the local gun shops charge a processing fee for gun purchases online, so they still get a bit of money, but if you are buying stuff they don't carry, I don't see why they would mind.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Oh yeah, I get it. I do believe that we can buy ammo online. I was thinking of the gun. Looking online, I can see that several of the places selling ammo are out of stock on the .380 ammo but I do see some that have it, unless they don't tell me that they're out of stock until I put it in my shopping cart.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've bought a gun from Bud's Gun Shop years ago, but have no recent experience. They have a couple of pages of In Stock .380 ammo, and several pages of Out of Stock, which is clearly labeled and listed last. Lots of in stock choices between 40¢ and 50¢ per round (and much higher.) I have no idea what their freight costs are.

Link

I did not look at any of the other places I've bought ammo...I just happened to get an email from them so I clicked on it.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We live in an unincorporated area outside of Houston and within 5 miles of us are gun shops, pawn shops and liquor stores in almost every block. Perfect setup, huh? "Yee-haw, Texas!" :D

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

380 is out there but pricy, no issues here getting it just paying for it. Ball and SD types are easily obtained. I have a Colt Mustang in 380 but not a fan of the caliber at all.

Don Alaska likes this.