Back Porch, Storage For Snowblower & Lawnmower

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Every year is the same, though. I have a whole list of things that I want to get done during the spring, summer, and fall. Then, I don't start on any of them until I have to begin worrying about the first snow. The back steps and equipment shed is a big deal, which should last us the rest of our lives. Plus, I'll have the library usable again soon, and I'll replace a disintegrated landing to our fire escape, probably tomorrow or the next day. I need to replace the threshold plate, or whatever it's called, to our back door too, and I think I'll be able to get that done. That will have to do for the outdoor stuff. I had wanted to lay the concrete for another compost pile, but that didn't really have to be done this year, and it wasn't.

That's why I haven't been in the forum a lot for the past week or so, though. I hate seeing the snow come and realize that I hadn't done anything during the spring, summer, and fall. I know I'm lazy. I don't need to have it shoved in my face.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Von Jones likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

My problem is that I've slouched inside so much I don't acclimate to our extreme seasons. Summers here are "hazy, hot and humid." Temps and humidity in the mid-to-high 90s keeps me inside the a/c. Winters are chilly. Our short spring and fall is when I tend to get out and do stuff, but even at that, I've slouched so much using the too hot/too cold weather excuse that motivation is tough to come by.

I have an overgrown area behind my garage that needs to be cleaned out and have gravel put down so I can stack my firewood there again and have tractor implements where I don't have to dig them out of briars. It would really take a full day if I worked hard...two days at a paid-by-the-hour pace. Yet here I sit.

When I was working and went to night classes, I didn't have 2 spare minutes to rub together...yet I got so much done. Once I finished with that frenetic schedule, productivity went down the toilet...and I'm too lazy to plunge it.

3. Ken Anderson

I'm glad you mentioned clearing areas of the yard, @John Brunner as that is another thing I got done this year. I cleared several junk trees, laid the ground for planting areas on both sides of my yard, and actually planted a portion of it. Probably, depending on when the snow hits, I might find time to terrace my back yard, preparing it for the compost from my older compost pile. I also got the three new above-ground planters, although I didn't build them myself.

Here, the springs are very pleasant but I spent the spring months hiking. Then, I fell and hurt my hand and by the time I was ready to go out again, summer was here. Summer in Maine is not sweltering, as the highs are usually only in the 80s, but the problem with doing things outdoors in the summer is the mosquitoes, black flies, and other flying pests. Even working in my yard during the summer, I'd come in with bug bites on my arms and legs.

Von Jones and John Brunner like this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm back. Whoohoo!!!!

5. Ken Anderson

Terrific! Welcome back!

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hooray!! Parlez vous francais??? :D:D

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

8. Ken Anderson

No, it's been raining nearly every day here.

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

No hable French, lol.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. John Brunner

Someone's been using Rosetta Stoned.

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Okay, this is done. For now, I am going to go with the tarp in lieu of a door, because the problem with a door is that I have to shovel the door free before I can get to the snow blower. Eventually, ice builds up so that I can't even open the door. The tarp is connected to a 2x4 at the top and bottom, but the one at the top is connected to the roof. I think a tarp will work better. If not, I can add a door in the spring. The gap in the front is a vent because it's a good idea to vent gasoline. Plus, the slight overhang will prevent snow from getting in.

DSCN1572.jpg DSCN1573.jpg DSCN1575.jpg DSCN1574.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Von Jones and Nancy Hart like this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Good job, Ken.

13. John Brunner

Looks good. I agree with using the tarp. And bonus points for staggering the seams on that siding!

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Looks great; congrats. Maybe later you could install one of those barn door things that slide open on the rail instead of a hinged door.

15. Ken Anderson

That's what we have on our front door but that would require hardware that would have to stick out the length of the door, to give it a track to ride on and, sooner or later, someone would back into it with their car or walk into it coming around a corner. If the tarp proves to be inadequate, I'll probably replace it with a more solid door that lifts upwards.

Beth Gallagher likes this.