Backup Communications Information For Emergencies

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It seems like almost everything is outsourced to India. :rolleyes:

Kate Ellery likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As an aside, I gotta think there's a way to get a periodic dump of the Member Table out of the database. That would contain User Names and Email addresses. I know such info is visible to Admins on a record-by-record basis because it's used by some forums to prevent bad actors from signing up. I'm sure Ken has already thought of this...

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't do Facebook but I was able to look up SeniorsOnly page and see the updates. I'd suggest that people just learn to find it on FB.

Krystal Shay and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The fix took all of about one minute once he gave me the nameservers.

5. Ken Anderson

I could set something up on another server I use for other things. It wouldn't cost me anything since I'm already paying for that server, and I used to host about thirty sites there. Since I no longer want to maintain that many sites, I've been letting the domains expire, so there's a lot of empty space there. I didn't host the forum there because I had a bunch of other sites there at the time and it's harder to install and upgrade Xenforo without Cpanel. But I could set something else up there, maybe a WordPress installation with a simple forum plugin. I wouldn't want it to compete with this one, of course.

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll give Ken and Yvonne my name, address, email address and credit card number because I have complete trust in them. Just kidding about the credit card number. ;o)

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ken already has my name and one of my email addresses, so he can share it with the other admins if he chooses to do so.

8. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Same here 3 members already have my Email address @Don Alaska

Don Alaska and Shirley Martin like this.
  9. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A simple free word press blog would be good enough to anchor to. Make it pass word entry only no non members and it will be there until dooms day. There are other free websites that cost nothing to have, they are also pretty dependable without any traffic counting.

10. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I wouldn’t have had any idea the forum was disrupted if it wasn’t for a member having my email address cause I’d not had time to log in , due to traveling interstate at the time the forum was down

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

I actually own another license for Xenforo because I used to run a web directory forum, but I don't want to set up another full-scale forum. Alternatively, I could keep a list of the email addresses of people who want to be notified if something should occur. I wouldn't want to store it on a website though, or anywhere where email harvesters might gain access to it.

I might be able to set up a
    Code:
    seniorsonly.club
    email address on another server. The domain is on a different server than the site, so I might be able to set up a webmail account on that other server for
    Code:
    admin@seniorsonly.club
    (which does not currently exist), so that, even if this server were down, the email would work. I'll figure that out once I get a chance. It might be that the nameservers would try to send it over here. If it's doable, it's not all that complicated. I've just never tried it before.

Or you could just remember that my email address is
    Code:
    kenanderson@kenanderson.net
    , which is not so terribly hard to remember.

Still, the WordPress site with a forum plugin would allow you to talk to one another. Just free-thinking (which is better than free-basing), I suppose I could set up a free forum software package behind a password-protected wall, and then I could send you all the password. In that way, I could set it to allow people to post without establishing an account, and you could identify yourself in your posts or apply for an account if you wanted to. I wouldn't be so concerned about security because the forum would be behind a password-protected wall, and not open to spiders or anyone who doesn't have the password. There are free forum software packages that are available on my existing hosting package (not this one) that are one-click installs. I probably wouldn't spend time setting up a bunch of categories or forums. I'm open to other suggestions.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  12. John Brunner

I wondered about mirroring this site on a different server, since you already have one. If nothing else, it would provide a full backup.

13. Ken Anderson

I'm not sure how that works. If the one that is being mirrored went down, wouldn't the other one as well? Again, probably not so complicated but I've never tried that. If I did, one of them would have to be behind a password-protect wall because mirrored sites aren't good for SEO purposes.

14. John Brunner

I took MCSD certification classes. Distributed Apps were my Achilles heal...I'm pretty good at design, but know little about the network/internet infrastructures. I would assume that if Site A goes down because of server failure, that Site B would be fine if it were hosted on a different server. But I am not a network guy.

Don Alaska and Thomas Stillhere like this.
  15. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

WordPress would be simple to just post an update for the forum status. No one would use it to post but only check for when this site will be back up or an updated status. You could still password word it to read the entry.

Ken Anderson likes this.