Bad Common Cold

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Corie Henson, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know where I got this bad cold that has been pestering me for several days now. I did not go to work yesterday and today as well due to incessant coughing and weakness in the knees. I feel like being in bed all day long although yesterday I was able to drop by the Land Transportation office (counterpart of your DMV) to renew my driver's license. And now it is early morning and I had decided to stay home and rest.

Whenever I would be detained to the bed with a sickness, what kills me is the boredom especially when there is not good thing to watch on tv. But now there is the smart phone that I can conveniently use while on bed. But tomorrow is Friday and I hope to be back in the office for the closing of the week. Besides, we have an overnight booking in a 5-star hotel courtesy of a voucher. I hate to think that I'm still sick tomorrow.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry you're not feeling well, @Corie Henson! Drink plenty of fluids, rest and maybe some cold medicine. Don't work too hard on Friday either....you want to feel good for your overnight stay.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Get well soon Corey. I hate colds and flus too. It's just so terrible to get sick. What works for me is especially if there is coughing is to put about 12 drops of cider vinegar in 16 oz. of ice cold water with ice cubes. It's just a bit sour tasting and if you're not allergic to pickles I figure you can drink the cider vinegar cocktail. Take care and hope you get well and stay well!

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry for you Corrie, I hope it is not the flu. I haven't been sick in so long, I hardly remember what it is like. Insert wood knocking noises here! I have had sniffles for like a day or two...but the last time I was sick I was working in the schools and I haven't done that for close to 10 years, so that is really the last time I was sick. I have been exposed to plenty of germs in my lifetime though, so I kind of think I have an immunity to almost everything. Feel better, at least in time for your trip!

Corie Henson likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson
    As I understand the current thinking, by late adulthood most all of the Common Cold producing viruses, around 600 of them, have been at work in our systems at one time or another during our lifetimes, and natural immunity has been built up which lasts for life. Supposedly, that explains why colds are generally not a problem for the aged.

If that's true, Corie, please be careful to not let it go on too long. It may be worse than a Common Cold. Hoping you are well again, soon!
    Frank

K E Gordon likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Registered

Thanks very much for all you who are concerned about my health. I am still feeling weak especially when I am coughing. I remember in the olden times that a common cold is nothing and not a reason to be absent in school or in work. But in the recent years, we have been experiencing a cold that would last for a week or so. Now I remember that my mother has that cold last weekend when I visited her and she got it from the caregiver. So it's most like that I'm a victim of the same virus. Yeah, @Chrissy Page lots of fluid and I prefer fruit juice. No soda for now, huh. @Frank Sanoica at least my present condition is proof that I'm not yet very old, hahahaaah.

Chrissy Cross and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson
    Corie, I imagine you to be descended from Spanish-speaking people. If that's so, I am amazed and impressed by your grasp of English language. My neighbor a few years back met and married a Filippino lady who had been going to college, studying Chemistry. Her English was far less good than yours! We smiled when she informed us that her car's "Ober-Dribe" was not working! Apparently, the "V" sound was a difficult one.
    Frank

8. Corie Henson

Registered

Again, pardon this segue (or a subtle way of changing the topic)...

Our English is best when written because we are not speakers of English although there are lots of Filipinos who speak English at home but most are kids of wealthy families. When one is not used to speaking in English, the first defect is the pronunciation and the usual mistake is the letter F and V which we pronounce as P and B respectively. Especially those Filipinos who did not reach college, their pronunciations are sometimes funny because you will be confused to hear the word TWE-LET which really meant toilet. Particularly those who were born in the Visayas that they speak the Visayan dialect, even us here in Manila are confused of their diction.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Wishing you feel much better soon Corie - detest colds :(
    Top up your Vit C and zinc and try Echinacea which will speed up recovery :)

Corie Henson likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Corie, I hope you're beginning to feel better.

With regard to your explanation as to your English language..

It's clear to me and probably others that your first language is not English, and not as you might think that it's grammatically incorrect but more that it's written in a very prefect style...which of course makes it stand out a little more...how to explain it?...probably easier to say that we as English speakers write in a more relaxed style , as you would your native Filipino... whereas when writing in a second language you're very correct and in England we would call that RP ( received pronunciation)..when spoken orally..

I've always been immensely impressed at your excellent ability to write and even debate in such very good English...in fact you're written English, is far superior to millions, and I mean millions of Native English speakers..

Corie Henson likes this.
  11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you like chicken soup Corie ?
    Heard good things about having that to cure a cold - don't like it meself ............

Corie Henson likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We both got our Senior Double-Dose flu shot last night.

When either of us end up getting a common cold, we immediately get into the OTC cold medicine, use cough drops and do eat Chicken Noodle Soup (and stock up on that). Thing is, the older a person gets, the "meaner" a cold can be and hard to get over. I remember, back in Dec. 2010, the week before New Years Even, I got a bad cold to where it seemed like I couldn't stop coughing. Unfortunately, the cold turned into a pneumonia spot on a lung. A chest x-ray showed that. My PCP gave me an anti-biotic to get rid of that.
    So, people of all ages, but especially those 55 and up, a cold that can turn into pneumonia can be some serious thing.

Good Luck and...........please take care of yourself!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've only gotten the flu shot once and that was when it was required when I volunteered at the hospital. I usually don't get sick. Sometimes I'll wake up with a sore throats but it goes away or I'll feel achey and think I'm coming down with something but that passes too.

I can't remember when I was sick enough to stay in bed all day...maybe because I have nobody to take care of me if I do.

I'm not one of those people either that wipes the handle on the shopping cart so maybe I'm used to all the germs. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I
    I think that only works to a point Frank, my parents, who are of course, quite a bit older than I am get colds routinely. It seems like ever winter they come down with somthing. That reminds me, I should remind them to get a pneumonia shot. I guess maybe when you are in middle age your immune system is strong and then weakens say when you are over 75, because those who are really old are suspectible to disease, especially pneumonia.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, with Halloween parties approaching, and wife still working around people who come to work sick, it was a necessity for the shot. One thing for sure, our immune systems aren't nearly as good as when both of us were younger.

BTW, she is one that wipes the shopping cart handle off whenever we go to Walmart. If we are in an aisle, and hear somewhat cough/sneeze, we will immediately go to a different aisle...........and I do mean immediately!

Patsy Faye and Chrissy Cross like this.