1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beans: Protein Alternative To Meat

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

According to the book, “Fiber Fueled” , we need different intestinal bacteria/yeast cultures for different foods. Although legumes are great for nourishing the good bacteria, if we do not have enough of those already inside of our gut, then it can cause digestive issues and gas. He said that people should start slowly increasing their fiber intake, and then they will develop the proper gut microbiome for digesting the fiber.
    He said that as we develop a healthier digestive system, then things like IBS and other gut issues should be healed and go away.

A short quote from the book description on Amazon:
    The benefits of restrictive diets like paleo and keto have been touted for more than a decade, but as renowned gastroenterologist Dr. Will Bulsiewicz, or "Dr. B," illuminates in this groundbreaking book, the explosion of studies on the microbiome makes it abundantly clear that elimination diets are in fact hazardous to our health. What studies clearly now show--and what Dr. B preaches with his patients--is that gut health is the key to boosting our metabolism, balancing our hormones, and taming the inflammation that causes a host of diseases. And the scientifically proven way to fuel our guts is with dietary fiber from an abundant variety of colorful plants.

2. Yvonne Smith

Last night I put about a cup of lentils in water to soak overnight, and this morning I rinsed them thoroughly and then processed them with some yogurt in the Ninja food processor.
    I made some chocolate “Fiberlicious” cake with the usual flax, chia,oatmeal, and psyllium seeds in it, but also added the processed lentils . I could taste and smell the raw lentils in the batter, but once the cake was cooked, you can’t even tell that they are in there at all, so this is something that I will do more often.
    The next trial will be making just a loaf of the lentil bread with some oatmeal added, and see how that turns out.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

The lentil cake turned out just fine, so today I am making the lentil quickbread, which has carrots, spinach, and oatmeal in it. The recipe calls it a cake, but it is more like a bread than a cake.