Been Hearing For Years, S S And Medicare Are Broke

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Joy Martin, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

or just hanging on and that in 10 yrs both will be gone...it's always 10 yrs.

Just talking to a friend about this and she said the Republicans are working to get rid of
    these two programs. I said NO, they are not.

Then she went on to say, you only listen to Conservative news and I don't hear what is going on.

Comments????

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Tell her you listen to conservative news so you will know what the Republicans are actually saying. :D

3. Joy Martin

Registered

The irony of this friend, she is from a republican upbringing and along the way she became a registered Independent but thru this covid mess she seems to bash the Republicans. We have been to points where we have hung up on each and stay away from even talking and we have not talked in 2 weeks or so and I called her today about the FDIC issue and it got on the SS and Medicare programs...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

And then my long time friend of 50 yrs was lifelong Republican but when covid blew up, she registered herself a Dem...Both these friends have a hatred for Trump.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The entire country is broke now so all that has to be done is for someone to type in some more zeros to our social security and it is well funded. I have no idea what either party is doing these days as it seems neither can get a consensus in their party. All I know is the people are poorly represented, especially the seniors.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I mostly avoid politics when talking to friends, though I believe most of my friends are of a similar mindset. I'm an independent (not registered); I couldn't stand Trump and I can't stand Biden. Frankly I don't see a lot of politicians doing anything good for the country.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This has been a long time claim, used whenever it seems necessary to one political party or the other. If the government is going to be shut down (as seems to happen ever year for whatever reason) the first thing that is always stated is that they can’t guarantee that we oldsters will get our SS pension checks, or our medicare.
    It is ALWAYS the opposing party (from the one saying it) that is trying to do it, and the refrain has come from either party at different times, as needs differed.

The interesting thing is that it is never, never mentioned that Welfare might not have enough money, especially now that the illegals are managing to get benefits also. It is always SS, medicare, and veterans benefits that are in danger of not being taken care of.

7. Joy Martin

Registered

Wonder why you are not a Registered I?

Anyway, Trump turned off many people and so many hate him, truly say hate. I was a deaf, blind, dumb D party and Never questioned anything for 60 yrs...and TRUMP stormed in and questioned and worked to drain the swamp, you know this Beth.

Trump's aoomplishments while President:

Before the China Virus invaded our shores, we built the world’s most prosperous economy.

• America gained 7 million new jobs – more than three times government experts’ projections.
    • Middle-Class family income increased nearly $6,000 – more than five times the gains during the entire previous administration.
    • The unemployment rate reached 3.5 percent, the lowest in a half-century.
    • Achieved 40 months in a row with more job openings than job-hirings.
    • More Americans reported being employed than ever before – nearly 160 million.
    • Jobless claims hit a nearly 50-year low.
    • The number of people claiming unemployment insurance as a share of the population hit its lowest on record.
    • Incomes rose in every single metro area in the United States for the first time in nearly 3 decades.
    And we can't forget the "WALL" nightmare...

More are in the below link.

https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/trump-administration-accomplishments/

And look where we are NOW..... and the D party is working so frigging hard to destroy Trump and what he wants to do. And TRUMP is NOT a Mitch McConnell R Rhino...

And being a lifelong D, I thought the R's were the bad guys....talk about being Blind...that was me......

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't register for anything that isn't necessary. Why bother? There's no "Independent Primary" that I'm aware of. My husband is a registered Republican and he is bombarded with junk mail and phone calls.

As for Trump, my dislike of the man is on a personal level. I think he's emotionally stunted, a stupid bully, and a walking ego. I do not dispute that the country was in better shape when he was in office, but as a person he's just a jerk. If he had stayed off of Twitter, he'd still be president.

9. Joy Martin

Registered

boy Beth you don't hold back on your feelings. good thing we are not wanna be friends..

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Joy, I don't mean to be rude but I am direct. Sorry if I have offended you in some way.

Oh, and FWIW, I voted for Trump against Biden. Another "lesser of two evils" situation which seems to be SOP for the USA.

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are many people whom I do not like on a personal level but yet honor their ability to do what they say they can and will do.

The best example I can give is my own dad.
    For the majority of his life I didn’t like him and even thought I hated him because he was, among other things, a highly abusive drunk and a cheating womanizer.
    All that said, his ability to craft and create with wood was pure unadulterated genius and his ability to do difficult mathematical equations sans the use of any mechanical or electronic devices was awe inspiring.

12. Joy Martin

Registered

Not rude Beth, just so so direct and tough. Because I didn't like Trump, I don't use the word hate if I can avoid it, I voted for the sap we live with in D.C. If only I had checked in some R sites before, but I was so so programmed a Dem I probably would not not seen the "light"..

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Joy Martin

Registered

I too had a strong dislike and fear for my dad, but when he was dying and I helped care for him for 3 months in his apt, I learned about him more and felt so so sorry for him. The addiction to alcohol controlled his life.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, I certainly can't fault you there. I actually voted for Hillary in 2016. :eek: [​IMG] (Ken will probably ban me for this confession.)

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That’s sorta what I mean.
    There are many who vehemently dislike D. Trump as a person but cannot deny that what he did for the U.S. was excellent.