Bicycle Riding/touring

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Denise Evans, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

They were both hanging and I didn't want to have them take them down Tim. I was just looking for style, not fitting the bike to me. I will do that though when Wed. rolls around, have someone lift them down and sit on them etc. I wouldn't mind having a woman's bike, never used to matter to me. The only difference I know of is the bar across, which never made sense to me for a couple reasons I won't go into, lol.

Ok, no, if suspension is anything like those seats that don't seem to be connected, then I wouldn't like that.

2. Denise Evans

Registered

You're talking to a real novice here Tim, I don't know much about a bike at all. You say you like the "fixed" best, why is that and maybe it will help me when I go to buy one;) thanks much, denise

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to bike inside the village for exercise and a bit of socializing. But my old bike has to go because a "mouse" had developed in my right leg just behind the shin. It actually emerges for no reason at all but maybe when I have abused my feet. But in our recent trip abroad where walking is the order of the day, that bulge in my leg did not appear. Anyway, I still cannot ride a bike just for a health precaution.

It would be nice to go on a camping tour, pitching a tent for an overnight stop and then going your way again. But I'd rather do that touring with some friends, maybe 4 or 5 so it would really be fun. However, in this age, it's difficult to find friends who are willing to take up that challenge. It's either they are busy with work or families or they don't have the strength for it anymore.

Denise Evans likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Registered

So true @Corie Henson about finding someone to go with. I won't go on any long rides alone, and I am just praying my health is good enough to do this. I scouted out the area around my small town, and there are lots of miles I can ride within residential, or at least, rural areas with housing within a few acres of each other. Not isolated at all. It was so gorgeous today, I would have loved to be riding;)

I'm sorry to hear about that "mouse" thingy, some sort of growth hey? I guess my thing will be to take it easy on my knees, although I have a jump-start by doing so much walking/dancing and weights. I never liked "spinning" at the gym though, but I love the outdoors. That's actually a bigger draw for me than biking in itself. I want to go farther in a day than I can just walking.

Oh well, I'll give it my best shot, and that's why I won't be spending much on a bike. Not that I have a bunch of money to spend now. So no choice, not if I want to get started riding. I had a 100 dollar bike between age 58 and 61, and it was really a dandy for that cheap;) Walmart special, lol;)

Take care, denise

Corie Henson and Joe Riley like this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

Hi all, have a bike picked out to pick up tomorrow morning. I didn't get my hybrid, but I got a good deal on a lighter weight mountain bike. I found a guy to help me at Walmart. Believe it, or not, LOL!! He was also a cyclist, believe that or not, lol!! He had to stop because of some health issues. When he was born they told his mother he would never walk. Hah, well he showed them and became a road-racer. He talked about not even having a seat "on" his racing bike because they never sit I guess. I'm sure on some sorts of races they wouldn't;)

So anyway, the hybrids were a good way to go, but the bike he thought would be good for me training to ride, off-road and on, would work great. The bike is used a lot by road-riders (touring cyclists, whatever they call themselves). The Hybrids are very popular, and I guess mine is sort of like one, but not for whatever reason. The main thing is, it will be great to show me if I am going to stick with it, and get in good enough shape to move up to longer rides, like day rides between towns on the Pacific Coast (North most likely from where I am) I just love Oregon, my home-State.

I got on my Nook Reader lastnight, and went into Library2go. I found a book to check-out called "On My Own Two Wheels" "Back in the saddle at 60" and his name is Malachi O'Doherty, Irish fella. He is pretty funny, good to read, and good to see how he decides he's "just plain fat" and developed Diabetes, and determined to get healthy:) I will let you know as I go, how he is doing.

I also found a website that talks/tells all about what to take, and how to pack, items for overnight camping. The coolest thing I saw so far, is a light-weight hammock!! I wouldn't have thought of that, but we do have plenty of trees to string one up:) I had a gal friend that "only" used a hammock to sleep in back in the day we camped a lot up around Portland;) Not off a bike, but regular camping/tent camping

Joe Riley likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

This is a 6 minute account of a bike tour from Maine to Key West in the fall of 07. Bikes bikes bikes!!

Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh thanks @Joe Riley I'll watch it now!! Yeehaw, so appreciate this!!

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

This was beyond great @Joe Riley so fun to watch. I would like to get good, and do that, for however far I can. Need a couple of friends that want to do the same so I will be looking for them ;) I love the little trailers. Wonderful, can't thank you enough. I'm going to start a sort of journal, and I will begin photos too. Training may be a lot funnier than an actual ride. Just thinking about meeting wonderful folks. They say how to be happy in later years is to keep plans ongoing, plan for this or that, things to look forward to. I'm starting now;) hugs, denise

9. Denise Evans

Registered

Yep, here's a hero for me to follow;)

Joe Riley likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just PLEASE be careful, Denise. Some of us don't realize, and some know, but don't care, that they shouldn't try something they never tried before or doing something they haven't done in years. Both wife and I know that there are some things that we use to do, that if we tried again, we'd most likely hurt ourselves doing.
    Of course, riding a bike takes a lot of balance, just like riding a motorcycle does. And, one of the biggest distractions, while driving a car or truck, is using a cell phone. To many drivers get way to involved into talking on their cell phone that they don't even realize what's around them..........bicycle riders.

Denise.........have fun, but just be careful.

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

I'll do fine, safety is first with me, thanks Cody;)

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

This is where most of my riding will be done. Although my first rides will be short of course, have to see how sore I'm gonna be before I take on too long of a ride;) More so, neighborhood rides. One nice way to go is straight down to the beach which I'm used to walking. It's about 1 and a half miles I think, close to anyway. Then I can ride along Pebble Beach Drive, and it has t nice bike-lane. Good practice. I don't actually have to get on any, busy streets at all, very fortunate:)

http://tolowacoasttrails.org/

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

More things I'm learning about bicycles. The first thing I thought of was a comfortable seat on my bike. But I am learning about "saddles" which is the proper term I guess;) This article is really good, from a site that came highly recommended to me called sheldonbrown.com. I'm reading in the beginners section and thought this part was really interesting:
    Here's the link as well: http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

The "Two-Bump Problem"

Imagine sitting down on a coffee table. Your weight is concentrated on the two bumps of your "sit bones", also known as the "ischial tuberosities." These are the parts of your body designed to bear your seated weight. Most cases of saddle-related discomfort arise because the load is carried on the soft tissues between the sit bones.

Imagine placing a soft pillow on top of the coffee table. Now, as you sit down on it, the sit bones compress the pillow, which yields until the sit bones are almost on the table surface again. The difference is that now, you have pressure in between your sit bones from the middle part of the pillow.

In the same way, a saddle with excessively soft, thick padding can make you less comfortable by increasing the pressure between your sit bones.

Many cyclists are unaware of this, and many saddles are made to appeal to the purchaser who chooses a saddle on the basis of how easily a thumb can sink into the squishy top. This type of saddle is only comfortable for very short rides, (though an inexperienced cyclist will often find it more comfortable than a better saddle, as long as rides don't exceed a mile or two.)

Saddles with excessive padding are also a common cause of painful chafing of the inner thigh, as rides become longer.

Tim Burr likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

For me the seat would be very important, also I think my back wouldn't do well riding a bike. I'd have to have a seat with a V cut out for my painful tailbone. :(

15. Denise Evans

Registered

Maybe you would need a bike with an actual seat where you put most of your weight. This article I posted interested me because I never thought about "where" the weight is going to be. On a road-bike, or even a trail bike, the weight is distributed between arms, legs, butt. I'll just add on a trailer chrissy and come get you. You can ride back there;)

Lot's of people aren't able to ride bikes. It's something I can still do as far as I know. More will be revealed though after I go for a few rides;) That's why I'm spending very little on a bike. In case things aren't going to work out for me to ride;)

Chrissy Cross likes this.