Big Bear, California

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I haven't been there since the mid-1970s, but I rented a cabin near Big Bear for a week a few times when my son was young. Looking online, it appears that this may be an expensive vacation these days but I don't remember it as breaking the bank in the 1970s. I was making pretty good money then, but I still noticed when things were expensive.

I didn't always rent the same cabin but, as I remember it, the cabins were a whole lot closer together than the cabins I was familiar with in the UP of Michigan, but they weren't on top of one another and, unless you were looking for other cabins, the atmosphere was one of solitude.

Has anyone else here stayed at Big Bear? Has anyone been there recently?

big-bear.png

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

It's been 20 years, but, yes, I've been to Big Bear. Wife and I went up there when we lived in So California and went to a small zoo they had. Animals that could be found in the area.

Before then, I went up there with a friend and rented a ski tow. It was a Competition Ski Boat and I couldn't believe how cold the water was.

Never went up there during winter.

Ken Anderson and Joyce Bidwell like this.
  3. Joyce Bidwell

Joyce Bidwell Member
    Registered

I followed two eagles on eagle cams in Big Bear Valley... Jackie and Shadow. You can find them on YouTube if you search FOBBV or Friends of Big Bear Valley. They have become quite popular and an addiction. A day doesn't go by without checking on them. Viewing them and how they live and take care of each other brings everything else into perspective for me. I am so proud the majestic Bald Eagle was chosen as the most iconic symbol of our country.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered