Boats You've Owned And Fish You Caught: Memories And Photos

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Jake Smith, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    Reading about some of you all getting your boats ready for spring fishing got me thinking about how lucky I am. Here on the gulf coast, fishing season never really stops. some days may be too windy and chilly to go on the water, but in a day or two, it will be quite pleasant enough to go bother the fish.
    This spring I have been using the kayak a great deal, and to be honest, I have been catching a lot of fish. And again, I'm lucky. A very nice private lake that I have permission to fish is only a three- minute drive from the house
    My son has been talking about a run down to the coast- that's only a 45 minute or so drive, so it's no big undertaking- and maybe we can get into some redfish, which I like a lot.

It's springtime here- the world is green, the garden looks good, the fish are biting, and the vile, nasty primary election TV ads are almost over and done with. The world is looking good.

You all be safe and keep well- Ed
    more crappie bass 052.JPG

2. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks, Tex, I'm still not sure where that is; will have to look it up. Sure some nice-looking fish you've caught. :)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Jake Smith

Registered

Pretty fish, Ed, I also like redfish, like you do. Caught some in St. Augustine and Big Drums too. Not sure if I told this story here; but will tell it again. :) We were fishing with a couple of our friends at Jettie Rocks and Harry and I were out at the very end of them. I was using one of his fishing rods when something hit the line, I snatched it back on it and that rod exploded. :eek:

Told him I was sorry about the rod, and he said don't worry about it here's another one. So I started again He kept telling me while we were fishing about a 55 lb drum he and his brother had caught there and that they had to lead it to the shore to get it out it was so big. Well, all of a sudden I got another hit, and when I brought it up to shore fighting it. It flipped him out so much he started screaming at his wife Ruby, Ruby; my god you won't believe what a fish he's caught. When I grabbed that drum by the gills, he was still dragging the rocks, picked him high as I could lift him.

He quit talking about the one they caught, after that. By the time I came back to their camper, he had already cleaned and gutted the fish and Ruby was cooking it. He said; I'm sorry I know you may of wanted pictures of that fish but I couldn't help it I had to clean him. :)

4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

This an older pic from a few years ago.
    upload_2024-3-4_19-16-57.jpeg

5. Jake Smith

Registered

Need a new Binimi top for the boat, the one on there has gotten mildewed, due to moisture.

[​IMG]

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

IMG_0575.jpg

Tex Dennis fish.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2024
  7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, not attractive to pirates.:D and it doesn't leak so it serves its purpose.
    We old people don't need to be too flashy, in today's world better trashy than flashy. ;)

8. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Right on the border with Texas and Oklahoma north of Dallas...........Lake Texoma when the water is low you can see the foundations and and the old cemetery, of Washita.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    Jake Smith likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just looked at our 10-Day Forecast and the weather/temps are getting better and better. Within the next couple of weeks, will be reinstalling the engine batteries, taking the boat over to water spicket, hooking up hose/muffs to outdrive and starting it up. That is, "hoping" it will start up. If it starts up and runs ok, will put rest of things into boat and head to the boat ramp.

But, first things first..........boat has to start and run on the hose/muffs.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

After you sell it, you might decide to rent a boat every now & again. You'd probably be saving money, and you could just show up/drive off/ride around/come back/hand the keys to someone else/get in the Durango/go home.

Yvonne Smith and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  11. Jake Smith

Registered

12. Jake Smith

Registered

Thanks, Tex, I hadn't tried looking it up, but now I know, pretty place too. Our son and his kids live in Texas, and have been on lots of outings, to some of the lakes there; will ask him next talk, if he's been on that one.

13. Jake Smith

Registered

Good; because I ordered one. :D

Oh, I misunderstood your post. You meant that the mildewed one served the purpose. :oops: Had to edit. :rolleyes:

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Jake Smith

Registered

Sounds like a plan, Cody, good luck.

15. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

We were all fishing in a canal one day and my late sister caught an interesting-looking fish. Nobody knew what it was, so she walked over the wildlife officer who had checked our fishing licenses earlier to ask him.

"Well, ma'am, that's a 500 dollar fish," he answered.

"A 500 dollar fish? That's its name?"

"No, ma'am, that's the fine for having one of them fishes. They're out of season."

"Yowwwww, I had no idea!"

The officer then said, "Well, I guess if you were to go right back over to the water and put that five hundred dollar fish back in the canal, I could probably forget I ever saw it. I'm pretty old and my memory ain't what it used to be."

That could have been a very expensive fishing trip. We never did find out what kind of fish it was.

Yvonne Smith and Jake Smith like this.