Books

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by James Hintze, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Ralf Mannheim

Ralf Mannheim Well-Known Member
    Registered

Jack Roberts and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I miss Don.

3. Marie Mallery

Registered

My all-time favorite humorist,

[​IMG]

One he wrote right before he died,

[​IMG]

Jack Roberts likes this.
  4. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like him too! He's a funny dude!:D

Jack Roberts and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Krystal,I always thought so. he made my friend and I laugh so many times. I'd call her or she'd call me and we would have to hang up to catch our breath we laughed so hard.
    Cat in the mashed Potatoe's and stitches or shark at the beach and tire tools. I would just say" cat' or she would say "tire tool" and here we both were again on the floor laughing.

Jack Roberts and Krystal Shay like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since I wrote this a few years ago, I've been using my Kindles even more often than I was then. My eyesight has diminished a little in the past few years, so it's harder for me to read small-print published books. Although I can still do it, it's more of a strain than a comfort sometimes, particularly at night, which is when I do most of my reading. When using a printed book as research for something I'm working on in my directory job, I can still manage fine, but when reading for pleasure, I now prefer my Kindles.

I read a couple of books a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. Nearly all of my pleasure reading is done before I go to sleep, and the Kindle offers an advantage there, too, in that it is backlit so that I can read at night with the light out. This also allows me to lie on my back or on my side while reading, which would be more difficult with a printed book.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm struggling to use my new Kindle for pleasure reading. There is something about a physical book that is part of the experience. The only thing I've used my Kindle for is displaying recipes while I cook.

8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Right now, I'm reading a book publshed in 1953, "Natural History of Nonsense" by Bergen Evans. "An entertaining and witty assult upon some of the more preposterous errors and legends that mankind insists on believing." It debunks many things that people have believed through the ages. Fascinating stuff.

I'm reading one on my Kindle titled, "Boy Gone." It's modern science fiction about aliens who come to save Earth and humanity from extinction. Some kind of killer ray is coming toward Earth. I don't know how they are going to save it. I haven't read that far. Boy, I sure hope the manage to save it! :)

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I use the Kindles only for pleasure reading. I can't deal with trying to read a magazine on a kindle, and non-fiction (especially scientific texts) are even worse. The non-fiction is "real book" only for me.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have The Creature from Jekyll Island and have paged through much of it, although I haven't read it cover to cover.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I love my Kindles and have had them for years. I like to read sitting on a stool in the kitchen, so a few years ago I bought a small stand for the reader. It's nice to read "hands free" so I can drink coffee, eat a snack, etc. while reading. I keep one Kindle in the kitchen and one upstairs next to my bed; it's great that they sync to the "latest page read" and I can pick up either one and continue the story.

Right now I'm re-reading one of Stephen King's older books, Night Shift from 2008. It's a collection of stories.

"The thing under my bed waiting to grab my ankle isn't real. I know that, and I also know that if I'm careful to keep my foot under the covers, it will never be able to grab my ankle."--Stephen King

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

What do you think about it? Do you think it is federal or a private owned?

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Just a word of warning, @Beth Gallagher ...... don't ever read Stephen King when you are in the house alone at night. :)

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Shirley, I've been reading Stephen King since the 70's. I don't care for his politics, but he writes a good story. (I do keep my feet under the covers!! :D)

Speaking of King, I enjoy this guy's youtube channel; he travels all over the USA showing American towns & cities. In this one he visits a few towns in Maine, including Bangor where King lives. At the 16:40 mark he shows Stephen King's house, which is surprisingly accessible for such a wealthy and famous person.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024 at 8:05 PM
    Mary Stetler likes this.