Buying Old Guy Clothes

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Jacob Petersheim, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

According to the style, I can buy online, blouses are harder to buy online that fit properly.

2. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My husband has worn Levis for years and then switched to Carhartt because he liked the fit and they were made of 100 percent cotton. He wears a slim fit traditional pant. Now Carhartt has discontinued the style that he has worn forever. All we can find are jeans that are made much thinner and made of flex, polyester, and with some spandex, which are also loose fit, baggy fit, relaxed fit, and sits below the waist. Not to mention that are very faded and may have some rips involved for style.:rolleyes: It has been a challenge to find him some jeans.

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Are you looking for women's sizes or are you shopping for men's? You might try Land's End, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, etc. A couple of weeks ago I bought some Nautica polos from Macy's; they are a cotton blend, short sleeved, and my husband has not ever mentioned that they are hot to wear. He is a research chemist and until he retired he usually wore a polo-type shirt under a lab coat.

upload_2024-3-31_10-52-17.png

Here's one at Macy's (men's) https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...th-pocket?ID=16686275&swatchColor=Teal shadow

And here is a generic search at Macy's for "long sleeve polo"... https://www.macys.com/shop/featured/long sleeve polo (Only one women's style comes up, but typically they'll have more long sleeves in the fall/winter.)

Land's End has some men's with pockets, but none of the women's sizes have them. https://www.landsend.com/search/S-xea?initialSearch=true&q=long sleeve polo with pocket men

I like the Land's End "Supima Cotton" fabric; it is very soft and sturdy.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband wears the original 501s and some 505s in Levis since they are slim fit. He does not like any of the new "stretch" jeans with the spandex. He says they are hot and feel thin/flimsy. I wait on a good sale (usually Macy's or Kohl's) and buy him a couple of pairs. I can't believe the price for Levis these days.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  5. Krystal Shay

Registered

501's! Those might work. They sit at the natural waist too. My husband feels the same way about the "stretch" material; too hot. I will have to order a pair for him. Our Dillard's doesn't seem to carry much of inventory anymore. It is the only store left at our local mall. The rest of the mall is empty and our other mall that is 25 miles away has closed too. No more Penny's or Macy's around here. Our Kohl's store was huge and then it down sized to become a much smaller store. They divided Kohl's store by putting up a concrete wall inside and now the other half belongs to a Physical Therapy company.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Krystal Shay

Registered

I am a fan of some of Land's End products too! Love the Supima Cotton. :cool::D

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When talking about "old" and trying to buy clothes, my wife has had her problems. When I first met her in March 2000, she was wearing Roper (western brand) jeans and was 51. As the jeans got older, and more worn out, we started looking for more Roper type jeans. We couldn't find them anywhere. As of now, at 76, she has to settle with Wrangler brand jeans. And her blouses, the western ones that is, most are now made for ladies that would be our granddaughter's age.

As for me, the only problem I have is having to many printed t-shirts, of which, most are rodeo related. If I wear a printed t-shirt, I want people to see/read what it says, of which nobody cares.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been buying jeans, work pants and boots at Tractor Supply for the past several years. They carry Carhartt. Dunno if you have one out your way, or if it will solve the "no longer made" issue. If you do, at least you can touch the stuff before you buy it.

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Hubby finds some surprising, old stuff on amazon.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

Goodwill has an online store/bid site. Stuff is displayed from stores all across the country. I don't know how each store decides what to list and what to leave on the shelves. I've never looked at the clothes.

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My son hates those stores. Every time we went to buy clothes only pants they had for his age' 6-10 were checkered or print. I'm sure the workers took all the jeans to sell at flea markets. I'm not sure where all that type pants came from, must have had a run on the English and Irish in the 70s.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    Jacob Petersheim likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yeah, I think Goodwill reserves all the good stuff for its eBay store, leaving its brick-and-mortar stores with the leftover junk.

13. Krystal Shay

Registered

Yes, we have a Tractor Supply and a Rural King. Unfortunately, the carhartt's that we have found at those stores and on the website are either relaxed, baggy, loose fit, and low rise made of stretchy material. My husband has always been rather thin, but not skinny. He has never liked all those baggy pants with the low waist. He's picky.:rolleyes:

14. John Brunner

The problem with low waist pants for men is we do not carry purses. Our keys, our change, our wallets, etc are all in our pockets, subjecting our pants to the forces of gravity with every step we take.

I use Perry suspenders. These hook under your belt for a more secure support rather than clip to the fabric. I'm not in love with the Belts & Suspenders look, but it beats the alternative.

15. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

The salvos sell stuff on eBay as well @Ken Anderson

John Brunner likes this.