California Went Big On Rooftop Solar. Now That's A Problem For Landfills

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Beth Gallagher, Jul 16, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

From the LA Times...

California has been a pioneer in pushing for rooftop solar power, building up the largest solar market in the U.S. More than 20 years and 1.3 million rooftops later, the bill is coming due.

Beginning in 2006, the state, focused on how to incentivize people to take up solar power, showered subsidies on homeowners who installed photovoltaic panels but had no comprehensive plan to dispose of them. Now, panels purchased under those programs are nearing the end of their typical 25-to-30-year life cycle.

Many are already winding up in landfills, where in some cases, they could potentially contaminate groundwater with toxic heavy metals such as lead, selenium and cadmium. https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-went-big-rooftop-solar-120043034.html

So much for the "clean solar" solution. Seems like no matter which way we go, there's just no answer to the energy problem. Maybe those pesky fossil fuels aren't such a problem after all. :p

Don Alaska and John West like this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

They don't see past their noses. Pesky or no, problems or no. It is just like the gov't to pour all sorts of money into things without knowing if it will work or not. I got 50% rebate back in the 80's. Obama handed tons of money to some green company that went under. If green energy worked people would buy it. Green people would buy it anyway. To remove fossil fuels before it is time is condemning people to cold winters and less electricity. Part of agenda 21/31? the pollution of spent panels, batteries and windmills that don't recycle is very upsetting.
    What ever happened to fusion?

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I guess we all know that the blades for windmills have a short life, and--being fiberglass--they never decompose.

These people are not [completely] stupid. When landfills overflow and there's no more room for consumer garbage, they'll blame Consumerism or Overpopulation or some other such middle-class repressive crap. This extra-benefit to the panels and blades is they get to accelerate the lies, propaganda, rhetoric and destruction.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Fusions doesn't reach the goal of having the Little People living lives of squalor while The Elite eat cake.

5. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It added another 10 to 20 thousand to the cost of a home, that is just to install, the future repair is God only knows how much. You need a separate room away from the living area to store batteries. I would love to have an old trailer with a well and a water cooler in a state that has perpetual winds. I would convert a couple old large alternators to provide A/C for normal use. Mount them on regular wind mills using a drive chain for the alternators. You can mount regular 12 volt batteries to provide lighting and most things but with the water cooler you could have 50 degrees no matter how hot it got outside. It has to be a no humidity location for a cooler but then most of those western states have that wind. You can run a good ice box salvaged from a motor home because it runs natural gas on a very small pilot light that does nothing but heat the gas line for the refrigeration to run. It also can be ran 110A/C if you have that, it in turns does the same thing by heating a resistor mounted to the gas line. Those boxes are running ammonia and used extensively in European countries that don't have the power grids as the west has. I once had one running on 12 volts in my Dodge TransVan. My point is there are still a lot of simple ways to live outside the corrupt mainstream. You can have a good life without spending all your earnings. Today people are being shook down for all their earnings by these corrupt thieves like pelosi and others in her family and group of thieves. We are all captives of the most corrupt people in American society.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I know one thing, they destroy the country side and ruin the land. I was coming home to Houston in 2005 and spent the night in Fort Stockton at a roadside rest stop I was familiar with for decades of traveling. A light rain started just before daylight and I left that rest stop and drove a few miles and I saw something off in the distance in the rain that looked like that movie War of The Worlds, hundreds of red lights up in the air and I had to strain to see out the wet windows but I finally saw what was a massive windmill power farm. I read 10 years later that massive windmill farm could just manage to power 200 homes. At that rate the entire US would need to have windmills on your property to provide enough power. It won't take long for the narrative to get old when people find out what has been forced onto them.

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well everyone can relax. Biden's new plan is a gigantic windmill "farm" in the Gulf of Mexico. Of course it will only be there until the first major hurricane wipes it all out and leaves a debris field the size of Vermont.

8. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

those wind farms cover a fraction of homes...ex.
    they're putting one near st Louis...millions$$$...
    Gov....money...going up on regular electric bills in several surrounding states....
    that expensive wind farm will power 500 homes...whoop de do
    Sorry...got off topic...solar to wind....either one...makes me crazy

Beth Gallagher likes this.