Can We Afford A Turkey This Year?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Mary Stetler, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a whole turkey breast in the freezer that I bought a few months ago. I'll probably put it in the garage refrigerator to thaw out, then roast it. That's more than enough for the two of us with a lot of leftovers.

There's always an extended family gathering at my MIL's on Thanksgiving and again on Christmas where everyone takes a dish or two. It's a big crowd and I try to avoid it. :D Now that my MIL is elderly we order the turkey/ham already cooked

Mary Stetler likes this.
  2. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

No idea what the 2 of us will do for Thanksgiving. I'm the "chief cook and bottle washer" and I'm leaning toward grilled cheese and tomato soup.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I just got the flyer for grocery specials this week. HEB is giving away a turkey with purchase of a ham.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I posted this elsewhere, and I'm gonna post it here, too:

My Walmart has frozen turkeys ranging in price from 88¢ a pound to $2.08 a pound. The generic Butterballs are $1.18 per pound.

Food Lion has one choice on their website (but likely more on the store) @ $2.29 a pound. I imagine they'll have the "55¢ per pound when you buy $100 in groceries" specials in a couple of weeks (like Beth said that HEB is doing.)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll see what the price is and if it is bad we'll skip ham and use chicken with the dressing. We don't eat pork son and SIL will have to furnish the turkey or bring their own and I'll cook it.
    I'll go the traditional cornbread dressing, collards, potatoes, candied yams and cranberry's. Plus whatever cakes baker man Jake wants to fix I'll make the pies though.
    Oldest daughter and her husband are coming here to escape the crowd and " kids" at youngest daughters house. She is raising her 2 grandkids, so she is leaving since the two boys will be spending Thanksgiving with other grandparents.10 small kids coming in from Texas alone
    We will not be going to Georgia this year, warnings of bad flu, Covid plus RSV going around, still sick from super cold, ,don't need more illness.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

In that case if it is that price here, it will be a chicken for us.

7. John Brunner

As predicted, Food Lion is selling turkeys for 39¢/# if your spend $35 on other stuff.

So it all worked out...if you're not a turkey.

8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

They used to do that here but not lately; the cheap turkey if you made it up on other groceries.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

I kick my a$$ for being so lazy. I should have that spare room cleaned out and another freezer in it. I'd buy one (or two) of these and cook it & freeze it.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The Kroger affiliate had turkeys free with $150 grocery purchase. That is not hard to get here, so we went shopping on Veterans Day and got the military discount as well. With coupons and such, our bill was reduced by $100. We already cooked one turkey yesterday. We will get a couple meals out of it, the the rest will be sliced and frozen. The carcass will be used for stock, as the wife has tomatoes that have ripened in the garage and will be used for spaghetti sauce. She has to get the canner out again for that, so the stock/broth will be canned too. If it weren't for the tomatoes, she would probably just freeze the stock as well.

11. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

my husband got one at the Ruler...Kroger affiliate...$.39/lb...smallest he could find..big job ahead with that bird..bigger than my roaster

12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

That was the question I asked my turkey as I hefted it. Will you fit? There were only 6 turkeys to be found and I got two of them in case they were not around by Christmas.

13. Teresa Levitt

Registered

ha!...yeah...and since we're not wasteful people...you and me will be working that turkey in all recipes...for days!

Mary Stetler likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When we first raised turkeys, we allowed or Thanksgiving bird to get too big. It was over 50 pounds dressed and wouldn't fit in the over much less the roaster, so we had to cut it in half and squeeze it in the oven. We had 8 people living here then, though, so it was eaten with no problem.

15. Teresa Levitt

Registered

it'd take a few people to handle the whole work with that big bird...beginning to end!

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.