Can We Have Assurance Of Salvation?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Babs Hunt, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Joan Kuper

Joan Kuper Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think it would also be easier if everyone dropped judgement and followed what they believed in their own hearts and did not claim exclusivity for everyone else.
    As we become older I think our views change and how I thought of God when I was a child is totally different today. I am a non-practising Catholic and have tried to become familiar with most of the religions. I still find it fascinating there is the same truth taught in all..or should I say most...

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  2. Joan Kuper

Registered

I am still convinced each religion sets up man-made rules to keep and control its members. I admire those who can see past that and still remain in an organized church. There is much one can benefit and contribute to the churches. I just still have a problem with claiming exclusivity..thatIMO is a form of trying to control members...

3. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In my view, the idea of needing salvation is a flawed attempt at social control and conformity to unexamined assumptions. Liberation is found in shedding the assumptions.

Lon Tanner and Joan Kuper like this.
  4. Martha Ferris

Martha Ferris Well-Known Member
    Registered

It all depends on what you believe or want to believe. Most people who have a spiritual belief rely on others to reinforce that belief. They can't seem to maintain their belief without that reinforcement.
    Keep in mind that there is no supported evidence that a higher power exists. When I studied various belief system I realized that we make "god" in our own image and/or what we hope to be true. For example pagan gods often had human attributes. There was a god for nearly every aspect of human existence. For some Christians god is all loving for others he is righteous and a punisher. We take from the Bible what suits our needs.
    Most belief systems are very old and were established within the frame work of what was known and understood at that time.
    People need a reason why things are the way they are. They need hope. Beliefs give them both regardless of the disconnect between our modern reality and the centuries old understanding of the world.

5. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Romans 1:20 - Bible Gateway
    www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Romans 1:20
    For ever since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through His workmanship [all His creation, the wonderful things that He has made],

so that they [who fail to believe and trust in Him] are without excuse and without defense.

6. Martha Ferris

Registered

Where is your evidence? And excuse for what and defense of what? The Bible cannot be used to support the Bible. There is no evidence that a higher power exists but you are welcome to believe what you want as long as you don't infringe on other people's right to believe what they want and as long as what you believe does not harm anything or anyone. Because what people believe is just a matter of opinion without anything to back it up it is a waste of time and energy to argue about it. My own belief does not need acceptance, support or validation by anyone else. Further the truth can withstand scrutiny so the Truth (God) should be big enough to as well without being threatened by it.

7. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Ever since the creation of the world His invisible attributes,

His eternal power and divine nature,

have been clearly seen,

so that they [who fail to believe and trust in Him] are without excuse and without defense.

8. Martha Ferris

Registered

Men wrote the Bible with their own motives in mind. To say it is the word of God is very convenient to persuade frightened and ignorant people to get on board.

Joan Kuper and D'Ellyn Dottir like this.
  9. Joan Kuper

Registered

I find taking the Bible literally to be a problem. IMO it is a masterpiece and like all great works, it is subject to interpretation.
    The Biblecan 'speak' to us with just what we individually need. To claim one particular translation is the only truth is to miss the magnificence of the Bible.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I do not recall anywhere in the OP where it said: “please raise your hands if you do not believe in salvation”. Or God. Or the Bible.

One recent poster wrote that she thinks it’s fine to have a belief as long as it doesn’t infringe on anyone else’s. So, would someone please explain to me how proposing a total and utter disbelief in what others believe in a thread that is all about believing in salvation isn’t infringing on other’s beliefs?

I mean, it’s not only totally off topic but rather disruptive for those who are trying to discover more about their personal assurance of salvation.

Yvonne Smith and Jeff Elohim like this.
  11. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Thankfully not.
    As The Creator Very Often Said and Showed:

Men spoke not out of their own hearts, but as commissioned by God; not "by the will of man,"

12. Joan Kuper

Registered

Why would disagreeing with another infringe on anyone's beliefs? The title can be answered with opinions of yes or no. Personally, I like to hear both sides and then decide which makes the most sense for me.

13. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree Joan

Joan Kuper likes this.
  14. Jeff Elohim

Registered

haha, something just occurred to me. Some of the Israelites disagreed with Yahweh and with Moses.

I'm going to look for the occurence now, and if it is close to what I remember, I'll post it, Yahweh Willing.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Simply put as I already pointed out, it’s off topic.

The question asks about assurance of salvation, not if you believe in salvation. If the OP proposed a question of say, “Why do you NOT believe there is a salvation”, I would be totally off topic to come on that thread and preach the Gospel would I not?
    Moreover, if you had started such a thread then you might consider it a bit off center and an “infringement” on your beliefs if I had done such a thing, which I would not.

If you are indeed seeking knowledge and want to know why we believe the way we believe then read what is said because after all, that is an option for learning.
    By offering a off topic negative opinion you’re asking for debate which in no way does the OP imply in any manner.

I think there are probably at least a score of threads which indeed do fit what you have already written and are highly opinionated in both directions in which all opinions and debate are welcome.