Can't Copy From Clipboard

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Gina Scott, May 4, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

?? That's a screen capture of this website.

On Firefox, there are little "scissors" on the toolbar that allow a user to select an object or an area of the screen, copy, then paste or download. I use that a lot when capturing an image from websites like Amazon or whatever. Since I don't have access to the game website I can't test it.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I did not know that. I had to add the scissors icon to my toolbar. Alternatively, you can CTRL+SHIFT+S.

Thanks for that. I've been doing a keyboard screenshot and then cropping it in a graphics package.

edit to add: A button is still gonna be easier for the majority of users, if we can figure out how to get it to work. I wonder if the NYT will have a solution.

3. Gina Scott

Gina Scott Active Member
    Registered

There must be a logical reason for the inability to paste and save here. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks @John Brunner for all the time and thought to this mystery.

4. John Brunner

Did you try a test paste to your other forum? It would be good to know if it works there.

We'll see what the NY Times has to say. As Beth said, people can do screenshots and direct-past them here. The Wordle site I use lets you set up your own words and then share the link for others to solve, so that might be fun. The challenge is that folks would need to go to the thread to get the unique links members have set up, and other members may have already posted the answer(s). That's the advantage to having a static web address where the puzzle changes daily...you only go to the thread after you've solved it.

I've not given up. I'm stubborn that way.

5. Gina Scott

Gina Scott Active Member
    Registered

upload_2023-5-5_8-30-51.png
    Here is my screenshot of the my Wordle results today posted on another forum. Worked just fine.

6. John Brunner

Oh, so you don't ever see the actual letters, huh? I completely misunderstood. I thought you expected to see the actual words people picked, and then them getting that day's word right.

So the NY Times is not gonna be of any help. I asked a stupid question.

Back to the drawing board...

7. John Brunner

This is a software code conflict that can't be fixed.

I took a look at the site you use and do not recognize the software it's based on (it seems to be home-grown...there's no branding on it.) It is not the canned software we use (Xenforo), and it's not the canned software another senior forum uses (vBulletin.)

This is what Posts from the Wordle site I use (which is the one the NY Times is based on):

*******************************************************​
    I guessed this 5-letter word in 5/6 tries.

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
    ⬛⬛⬛
    ⬛⬛

Can you guess this word?
    https://wordlegame.org?challenge=bXVya3k

*******************************************************​

When I paste the clipboard before I Post it, it looks like this:

test extract.jpg

So our forum software is not seeing the green (or yellow) boxes at all...it only recognizes the black [missed letter] boxes only. It shows I got 5 letters wrong in my first guess, 5 wrong the second guess, then 3 wrong, then 2 wrong. So it only shows the rows where there was at least one letter wrong...and it does not show the order. This is pretty much what your NY Times results show here, except its boxes are a different shade. But both downloads/clipboards do state that you solved the puzzle, and they both show how many tries it took.

I know it's not what you're used to seeing, but for purposes of people here just playing a game and posting their results, it's "good enough." I can't see the benefit in members making a graphics file out of the colored boxes and then uploading it...all that really matters is the Number of Tries.

So the choices (settling for the imperfect download) are:
    -Use the NY Times site for the Puzzle of the Day
    -Use the other site where members can either (a) solve the Puzzle of the Day; (b) solve and share a random puzzle; (c) create their own puzzle for other members to try to solve.

I think this is good enough for folks to play this game together. It does not really matter which position the correct letters occupied as you worked your way to the right answer.

As I said, I can help put together instructions (how to create a puzzle, how to download results, etc.) or folks can just wing it. Let me know if you want help. Personally, I think the idea of creating puzzles to try to stump each other might be fun. It would also be fun to share a link to those puzzles that stumped us to see how others do. (I play several Wordle puzzles every day.)

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Gina Scott likes this.
  8. John Brunner

9. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Use windows snipping tool to copy any image online no matter what it is, it will save as a jpeg. If you see no icon for the tool just type "windows snipping tool" in start box and I know win 10 8 and 7 have the tool, can,t say for sure if win 11 will still have it. You can make a shortcut for the snipping tool to place it where it is convenient.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

Here's the issue, and I went down the path you just cited, Thomas...

If people post their Print Screens, they are posting the solution to the puzzle:

to match extract.jpg

The website extract of the above puzzle (the graphic we're struggling with) masks the letters, so you can share how many steps you took and what your guesses looked like without divulging the solution:

test extract.jpg

As I was saying, it seems that the home grown forums recognize the extract's coding for those colored boxes. Xenforo and vBulletin do not. There's nothing that can be done by us to change it. Members could go through steps to turn the extract into a graphic and then Upload it, but having that graphic really does not add much to members reporting game results here...all that matters is whether or not you solved it, and the number of tries it took. But if you're used to seeing the extract presented in a certain way, anything "less than" is a lost feature.

edit to add: When I click the button to copy the puzzle, the message says "Emojis Copied." (I wonder what that means regarding the nature of the graphics.) And it displays correctly while you're Creating the message, but you lose the green and yellow/orange boxes when you Post it. As an aside, all the boxes appear when pasted in Notepad, except there's no colors, just shades of gray. I've not found a way to paste the thing so I can see the code. I bet there's a conflict in the code that's used for the colors that Xenforo and vBulletin do not recognize.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  11. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I know nothing about all this tech stuff BUT I do know the game is worth figuring out
    on this forum, for those who would give it a go :)

Gina Scott and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

I agree. I play it a lot.

@Gina Scott: I have a thought.

We could use two Wordle threads: one for the Wordle Word of the Day, and one for Wordle Member Challenges, where members create puzzles for others to solve. Both of those games are on the Wordle site where people won't get confused about having to create an account (and it's the source of the NYT puzzle.) We'd just have to accept the imperfect way the player's results are pasted here, confirming success and citing the number of tries, but not including the history of correct/incorrect letters.

If I post site instructions and create the Challenge thread, could you be the informal game overseer? People sometimes have questions and some conflicts over rules that need answered, and I see this straightforward 3rd party website game as being least likely to need clarification, and we try to have one person informally be there in each game to field questions. I don't want to jump in and poach your work, since you started a Wordle thread. And I help moderate the entire site, so hoped you could take this piece.

Just say the word...

Gina Scott likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know anything about Wordle, but are there any copyright concerns with what you want to do? This sounds complicated, so maybe before putting a lot of effort into it you could poll the gamers and see if anyone is interested.

14. John Brunner

Nah.

The site is set up to create puzzles, to share the puzzle links, and to share your puzzle results and overall stats. All we're doing is having people play the daily puzzle and share their results in the thread. Then we're thinking of having people create puzzles for others to play and then share the results in the thread. Not only don't they require an account to do any of this, there's no way to create one.