Cash, Checks , Or Plastic, Which Do You Use Now?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Yvonne Smith, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ditto.:)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Since the covid epidemic I've been using plastic/contactless. I hardly use cash or cheques but do have them for an emergency.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Jessica Morgan

Registered

What's Where's George.com?
    That's the fun thing about this forum, there's lots of American stuff that I'm learning about.(⁠•⁠‿⁠•⁠)

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Very few checks here, very little cash also. I have my bank debit card and one credit card, bank card is limited to bank transactions and debit use for one gas station we use. Routine bills are on autopay, or paid via iPad electronically, by our bank. The credit card is used for the remaining stuff but a balance is never carried over.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Since moving to another state and a remote small town, we have used a few checks, only because the bank offers them free and there
    are a few places here that will not take anything but check or cash. Electric and gas company are the only things that are not paid by auto at bank. Because those vary each month. Otherwise debt card. We own a single credit card that is used only as a necessity. Try to pay it off at once most of the time. No need for much cash on hand here.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

if they do it is recent. However you can make a payment to them at their office by check or debt most of the time.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Clicking on the link would tell you more, but it's a tracking system in which users will mark a bill with the URL. As other people receive that bill in change somewhere, they see the link and, hopefully, go there in order to see what it's about. If all goes well, they enter it into the form, which asks for their zip code, and WheresGeorge.com tracks the bills as they find their way around the world.

Mary Stetler and Jessica Morgan like this.
  8. Jessica Morgan

Registered

Sounds interesting. I've got a few cent coins, had them for a while now. Got some euros too which I'll spend when I travel across the channel.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I buy [what groceries I do] on-line, either for pick-up or delivery. As such, I pay with a C/C .

As well as order-in food.

Same with the [occasional] purchase.

But I am extremely cautious to pay the tab at the end of the month, by check.

I really don't go out much, where does a 74 yr/old man go ?

So the above is the bulk of my spending.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was reading about a man whose mortgage company let him pay his mortgage with his rewards credit card. He racked up thousands of dollars in reward points every single year.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have some cash in storage in case of power outage or whatever. lately we've had some glitches on the cc with fraudulant charges. The account gets closed and a new card is sent out days later. So cash is king. And bills are paid by check.
    The fraud problem is why I wont do automatic payments.
    Must have control.:rolleyes:

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember when everyone got annoyed with anyone who charged a small item with a credit card. They had to pull out a gadget with carbon paper and run it across the card to imprint the information. Meanwhile everyone was waiting in line behind.
    [​IMG]

Similar thing with someone writing a check.

I envied those that didn't care who they kept waiting, because they rarely had to go to the bank and get cash. I love being able to use a credit card for everything, even a candy bar or a coke, now.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  13. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Primarily debit card here, some auto pay, 1 C/C that has a horrid balance and I pay minimum payment monthly, but keep the card for just in case....it's low interest compared to the outragous rates today..... Keep some cash on hand to pay those who buy some stuff for me outside of my grocery delivery debit pay. When I got my C/C many yrs ago interest rate was 4 or 5% and now it's 8.74%, so still low in the whole world scheme....so I make monthly payments, yrs ago I used the C/C to help my daughter with dental work...JUST MONEY, huh?????,

14. Jayce Gray

Jayce Gray Active Member
    Registered

Me, too..

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  15. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

My first wife, who passed away in 2002, always carried about 5 to 10 $2 bills as her emergency, just in case, money. I think she actually used either a debit card or credit card to pay for things when she was traveling for business. She did pay all the household bills by check, but it was >20 years ago, and that's what we did back then.

Today, I use cash once a week, at most, to buy a lottery ticket. I write one check a month to the lawn guy.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.