Cashew True Story

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Tony Page, May 28, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We will probably get another dog at some point, but I'm not able to care for one right now. I'm sure I'll be the one doing all the potty training, etc. because I always have. :D Also, I'm not sure I could handle losing another one; we have had several dogs over the years and each one's passing leaves a hole in our hearts. Of course, Harry was devoted to me and we had a bond that I will never have with another; he was very special.

Tony Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Chipper and I had that special bond, too, Beth. He could understand just about everything that I said to him, and usually was able to read my mind as well. I could think about giving him a bath and he would go and hide under the bed !
    He was like having a little furry kid.

When you get another dog, if you get an adult, then you do not have all of the frustration of potty training, or at least not as much, once the dog gets used to his new home and knows how to ask to get out. I worried with Chipper about which one of us would go first. My heart was so bad for a while, and I knew that if I died, Chipper would never adjust to not having me. I didn’t want him to die either, but knew that at least that way i could be there for his whole life.
    Happily, Poodle also loves Bobby, so if something happens to me, I do not worry about him being okay.

Beth Gallagher and Tony Page like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My husband is the "dog whisperer" and most dogs gravitate to him. Every dog we've ever had has been "daddy's dog," tolerating me but obviously enamored with my husband. :D When we brought Harry home as a little pup, I expected it to be the same... but for some reason Harry was mine as soon as he arrived. He followed me around constantly and could not stand to be downstairs if I were upstairs.

When he was 4 years old, he jumped off our high bed and blew out BOTH of his back knees. I was so terrified when it happened I thought he had a spinal injury, as did our local vet. We drove him to a surgeon 70 miles away and the surgeon determined that it was not a spinal injury but his knees. Two surgeries and several thousand dollars later, he was as good as new.

I was devastated when he was diagnosed with cancer at 9 years old. We took him back to the same surgeon but there were no miracles this time. Harry's kidneys failed a few days before the cancer surgery.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So sorry, and sending you HUGS, @Beth Gallagher . Hoping we will both see our little doggies in heaven, but at least we will always have them in our hearts.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, Yvonne. If we don't see them, then we are surely not in heaven.