Catfishing Dating Scams

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Rose Flowers, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Lots of Aussies say that @John Brunner “ when we fall off the perch “ I’ve just turned 76 and hubbies 75 so we’ve got to think about these things

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Kate Ellery

Registered

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It reminds me of my British mother and her cockney friends. I'm sure there's common roots to the stuff I've heard many times before.

Regarding your age: we recently lost 2 church members...one at 100 and one at 95. There's a 90 year old who has been scarce because she's starting to have back issues. Never underestimate how tall your perch is ;)

Al Amoling and Kate Ellery like this.
  4. John Brunner

He went to Mali???? That's one of those "always in an armed conflict" countries. I just took a look...in 2007 50% of the country was under 12 years old. Only 3% were 65+. They got low perches...

Kate Ellery likes this.
  5. Kate Ellery

Registered

We have friends we dance with ….. He’s 98 and she’s 97 married 76 years ( i was 6 days old when they got married )
    OMG their” kids “ are all on old age pensions .

He still drives to dances

This is them ..I spoke to them yesterday about getting back to dancing soon it’s been closed since Christmas due to Covid
    7BE07DCE-BE46-4BD3-80CC-49DA5F2705CE.jpeg

6. John Brunner

Things like this always put a smile on my face.

7. Kate Ellery

Registered

We swap a dance or two with them John ..it’s called new vogue ballroom dancing ..wish Covid would go away so we can back to enjoying our social life …

Bill Boggs and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

I took ballroom type dance classes a very long time ago. I enjoyed it. I've done polka and square dance as well. I'm not much on "modern dance"or any type of dance that has no set steps.

I, too, have social stuff that this "thing" has caused to be suspended. I pray for all of us that our normal is no longer kept from us.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  9. John Brunner

Thank you!

10. John Brunner

Thanks for putting a smile on my face!!!

He's a very lucky guy ;)

Kate Ellery likes this.
  11. Leonard S Sauer

Leonard S Sauer Active Member
    Registered

Im 69 M and looking online at various web sites for a girlfriend in my age group and the scams are horrible.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  12. Rose Flowers

Rose Flowers Well-Known Member
    Registered

The Internet dating scams are horrible and both men and women get caught in their fishing nets. Enterprising entrepreneurs are missing an opportunity by not providing local senior clubs that offer recreational and intellectual programs for seniors to mix and mingle. There is an illusion that senior centers sponsored by the government provide this, but most often these centers are contracted out to a commercial enterprise that lumps senior services in with services for disabled children, shut-ins, and others and their main claim to fame is Meals on Wheels which does nothing to help seniors who want a companion meet each other.

13. John Brunner

I've mentioned before that pre-COVID I would do events through a website called MEETUP.COM
    The groups are starting to do the in-person thing again.

It is not a dating website, nor are there expectations to "hook up" with anyone. These are groups that people like us create and then host on the MEETUP website for a small fee. Anyone who shares that common interest can then attend any of the get-togethers they see posted in their locale. Once you create a main MEETUP free account, you can then access all the groups that are hosted there. Some groups might be "private" so you have to request membership (I guess they have a vetting process), while others might host an open event you can drop in on with no reservations or notification required. There is never any membership charge, although the group owner might ask for donations to offset the MEETUP hosting fee for that group. I've only had that happen once.

There are groups for about anything you can imagine. There are tech groups and career enhancement groups and travel groups, as well as stuff like hiking or theatre or book clubs or board game nights or dancing or bowling or Bible study or going to the movies or dining out. It's a no-pressure casual way to have folks to socialize with. While some folks who meet there might choose to go on an individual date together (and it's certainly not discouraged), this is not the main purpose, so things are casual, low-key and no-pressure.

14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Those entrepreneurs didn't miss the opportunity is my town a an adjacent town. Both towns have seniors centers that offer recreational and some intellectual activities. BTW both are running by local people who saw a need. Bothe charge a member ship fee which is nominal.

15. Rose Flowers

Rose Flowers Well-Known Member
    Registered

Are you still attending these groups? How many have you created and hosted? I think a lot of seniors would prefer a stationary comfortable drop-in club that has food, drink, card games, music, guest speakers and so on rather than a monthly meeting on a specific topic that they have to create and host themselves or look for every month in their locale.

John Brunner likes this.