Catfishing Dating Scams

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Rose Flowers, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Rose Flowers

Rose Flowers Well-Known Member
    Registered

What sort of recreational and intellectual activities have you attended there?

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Up until now I have not had the time or desire to be away from my wife. I know that they have card games, checkers, dancing, trips to museums etc.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I probably mis-described it.

There is no monthly meeting on specific topics, except for maybe a book reading club or something like that where routine attendance might be part of it. The groups are stood up for long-term use and events are offered under that umbrella. If you go onto MEETUP.COM and put in your Zip Code, you will get a flavor for the types of groups (subject matter and group structure) that are out there. Here is the list of current stuff happening in Evansville. You can fitter by Activity Type and see when & where such events are scheduled.

The one I was most active in was the Charlottesville Singles 30+ group. It's been in existence since before I got here in 2010. Any member could post an event, like having dinner at a certain restaurant, or going bowling, or seeing a movie, or something like that. They might say "I'm having breakfast tomorrow at Bodo's if anyone in in the area and would like to join me," or "Let's get together for dinner at Bonefish a week from Saturday...let me know if you're coming so I can make reservations." Most of the events (like going to the movies) are just drop-in without any RSVP required, and you might go out for a snack afterwards. If you want to, you attend; otherwise, you just ignore it. You don't really "join" except for signing up to get notifications of events, which you are under no obligation to respond to.

For example, there are also groups here for hiking. They have different types of hikes of differing difficulty on different days, and you just show up if you feel like walking with people.

I enjoyed having an ever-changing group of people to go to different venues with. I got to see new places without always venturing out on my own. I never created a group because managing it is a long-term administrative commitment, and there was already a couple of general interest groups in existence here...I had no hobby or interest around which to create and manage a group. I did, however, post specific things to do on specific days on that 30+ group I was active with. I've not attended since COVID hit, and it shut down all the in-persons stuff. I also dropped out of that group because management of it was handed off to someone who tried to make it something other than a casual thing. There are a few groups like that, but most of them are not.

Besides, this is an option, not an either/or...just another thing to keep in mind that already exists and that might offer something you'd like to do every once in a while with people who share a common interest, where you show up (or not) as the mood strikes.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So this conversation got me looking for more MEETUP stuff to do. Sadly, being near a university town, you get some measure of this:

We're open to all, but especially created to be a safe space for LGBTQ+, BIPOC, neuro-divergent, non-believers, agnostics, and those that just want to have a good time without all the pressures of big expectations.

I don't know what all of those are, so I'm likely not one of them.