Charo At 72

Discussion in 'Music' started by Faye Fox, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I am amazed that María Rosario Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza better known as Charo can still play as well as ever. Her tremolo is perfection and her picato and runs are simply amazing. She is the same age as me so I find my old age excuse for my poor playing shameful. We both have been playing Spanish "flamenco style" guitar for the same number of years. The video cannot be embedded so you must chick on the link and go to youtube.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    Marie Mallery and Nancy Hart like this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I forgot about her. She is very good. I remember she appeared with Xavier Cugat and his band. I mostly saw her on late night TV shows.

Out of curiosity I just read that "Charo began playing guitar at the age of nine and trained under the famed Andrés Segovia."

"Her Spanish birth certificate and passport, as well as her American naturalization papers, give her birthdate as March 13, 1941. She later claimed she was born in 1947, then changed it to 1949. In 1977, she asserted in a court hearing that her passport and naturalization papers were incorrect and that her birthdate was January 15, 1951."

She could be 82! .Cuchi-cuchi!

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, she took some lessons from Segovia and can play classical, but plays more flamenco styling on Latin American music, Malaguena, Bolero, etc., I was amazed that her hands are still so limber and her playing is as good as ever. Growing up in Spain, she did have a lot of exposure to flamenco and mostly the commercial club variety as opposed to juerga-style Gypsy flamenco.

I think she is 72 as she originally faked her age to marry a 66-year-old guy that helped her achieve fame in the USA. I wish she had never had all the plastic surgery. She was so beautiful and looked more genuine before surgery but Hollywood disagreed.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I think she's older than that. I remember her on Johnny Carson when I was a kid. This is in 1962 with Don Rickles, so by simple math if she's 72 now then she'd have been 11 years old with Rickles.

upload_2023-2-19_12-56-36.png

She is definitely a talented musician. This is in 1965...

Marie Mallery and Faye Fox like this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.