Cheapest Grocery Stores In Your Area?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Kitty Carmel, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a Sam's membership that I have only used a couple of times. Having just two of us now...there is no use for those large amounts they sell and I often found the price really wasn't cheaper either by buying in bulk. So thanks for the reminder that I need to make sure my Sam's card isn't automatically renewed.

2. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

You're welcome. I liked their photo department but really it was a waste for me. So I don't mind I let it go a few years ago.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We share Robin's Sam's membership, and since we always buy the protein supplements and protein bars there , plus Bobby's special coffee, butter, cheese, and several other things that we use all of the time; we appreciate having the membership. She does a lot of her shopping there, too; so between all of us, it is something we get a lot of benefits out of, Plus, they give us back a $50-$100 gift certificate once or twice a year, and that is always nice, too.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I think my BJ's membership is worth the cost. You do have to watch prices though, because you can't just assume that something is going to be cheapest there, although it often is.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I guess we’ll see how the prices will run with Trader Joe’s and Alde’s after the Trader Joe’s employees vote whether or not to be unionized.
    I believe that the vote takes place today or tomorrow but the vote is expected to go forward to unionization of the employees working for the Trader’s 530 or so stores throughout the U.S.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Oh, that's easy. Since Hannaford is now the only grocery store in my area, I would guess it's also the cheapest.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Things are quite expensive here. There are no Aldi or Sam's Club in Alaska--Sam's Club pulled out of the state a few years ago leaving members and employees holding the bag. There are Costco stores in Anchorage and Fairbanks, but they are both too far away to go to regularly. We have Kroger affiliate, Safeway affiliate, Target and Walmart. Walmart is the cheapest of the the four, but not always the most pleasant to shop in. Some individual items are cheaper elsewhere. We do most of our regular shopping at Fred Meyer, a Kroger affiliate, and fill in the cracks at an Alaska-based warehouse store near to home.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I suppose Aldi is the least expensive around here, though I seldom shop there. I've stuck with HEB (Texas grocery chain) for the past 5 or so years. I also like Kroger but HEB has cheaper delivery service. There is a FoodTown store about a mile from here that we use for convenience purchases (run out of milk, etc.)

I let our Costco membership expire several years ago, but I still shop online at Costco.com and pay a 5% upcharge as a non-member. I order k-cups and several other staples; 2-day shipping is free. For the amount I buy, the 5% upcharge is a much better deal than paying the annual membership.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Aldi is the cheapest on a lot of things but a close coming runner up is Piggly Wiggly . We have most of our food already but I still shop the ads for special deals. My problem is feed for other than my hubby. But that can be put off for winter.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

From all that I have read, putting off feed until winter is not the best idea. Grain prices are predicted to skyrocket.

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Welllll, my chickens will eat anything, even lasagne.:D I wonder if canned beans will give them gas. Biggest problem is usually hay. Thank goodness it looks like a good hay year, so far.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I have read that the West is going to have hay shortages, as the water for irrigation is shut off for hay and sent to vegetables. The upper Midwest should be okay I reckon if you have had rain and can get fertilizers...of course alfalfa should be a good way to grow. Do you do your own hay?

13. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

we are in southern Illinois...moved from NC...6 years ago....used to be Aldi...they've turned into a trinket store...a ruler foods...owned by Kroger...moved in 10 miles from us here...great!...best food prices.

14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

My favorite grocery store has been ShopRite they've always had the best prices and sales. They recently closed the closest store to me about a half a mile away, now I have to travel about 4 miles to the next closest store.
    Since they closed 2 new stores open within a mile of me both are Lidle which is similar to Aldi. Certain items their regular price is lower then the sale prices in other stores. As an example a gallon of milk Lidle sells for $1.79 other stores in the area $3.49 to $3.99. I shop them for my Dairy items, the prices are very good.

Don Alaska likes this.