Choice Of Mates

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Richard Whiting, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

LOL

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't believe I could say it better. My feelings exactly. In the relationships I've had, whenever my woman wanted the stove /refrigerator moved, I moved the darn thing and I never considered objecting.

It's a mighty strange thing when a wife objects to playing out her expected role in the relationship anymore than I could object to changing a flat tire when we both are out and about.

Mitchell Hartwig likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

See, that's a problem with old people. Some just don't understand that the world has changed and there are no longer "expected roles." Time to embrace cultural changes. If you are lucky enough to find a mate whose values are similar to your own, that's about the best you can hope for.

4. Mitchell Hartwig

Mitchell Hartwig Well-Known Member
    Registered

Why "embrace" them?

Wouldn't it be enough to simply tacitly recognize them, without either enthusiasm or rancor?

This is really emblematic of the sensibilities of the US right now. You can't simply be neutral or lukewarm, you have to publicly announce your enthusiastic support. That's the only satisfactory way.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Why read so much into a single word? To embrace something simply means to accept it; no need to plan a parade or anything.

6. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

Then why not simply "accept" it?

You know as well as I do that "embrace" carries a positive connotation. I'm saying that not all changes are positive.

Richard Whiting likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

First, don't tell me how to speak; I'll choose any damn word I like. I don't need to be lectured by you. Don't read things into my statements that are not there. I do embrace the changes in society for women. The End.

8. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

The listener gets to interpret the words spoken; we aren't required to guess at what you actually mean. This goes for everyone--me, too--and it's why it's important not to talk off the top of your head.

Far be it from me to stand in the way of your role aspirations!

When your car is making funny noises, please do take it to an independent mechanic, instead of asking a knowledgeable male friend to stand in for you. Please do unload that rental garden cultivator from the the back of the trailer you rented, and which of course you connected to the tow ball, and connected the light harness. so that the brake lights and turn signals work.

Or, you could just hire all of it out to people--mostly men--who make their livings doing this.

9. Thomas Windom

Registered

10. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

11. Thomas Windom

Registered

LOL

12. Richard Whiting

Registered

Ok, the world has changed. So what ? Lots of changes in the world. Too many of them are for the worse. Just because changes have occurred, doesn't mean men should "embrace" them. When a woman/women has has decided that she has greater power over men and has decided that he must "embrace" her changes, the end is near for that relationship.

In any event, what if men decided that he is giving up his role as breadwinner and he now expects her to "embrace" his decision ?

The whole issue is one of power. Women, the world over, know full well that she is in complete control of the sexual arena. She knows that such control is what allows her to sit back and pick and chose her potential mate. In the meantime, men will line up to try and date/marry her.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Of course, anyone of free will has the right to decide who/what they do or do not want... both men and women (and those other 8500 new "genders".) And I believe men "gave up the position of breadwinner" decades ago, as is witnessed by the number of single women heads of household. The family unit that we grew up with is becoming a faint memory whether we like it or not.

The times they are a-changin'.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm glad you and Dylan agree on the times. And I agree with yall about the times changing.
    I do think womans lib threw the baby out with the bathwater though, women went too far.

15. Richard Whiting

Registered

I certainly never gave up the position of breadwinner. Many men, however, were driven out by endless nagging and unreasonable demands. Hence, many single women heads of households.

Some women are impossible to please. They often married a man based on his ability to proved an excellent life. When the man, in an attempt to provide ever more "goodies", works ever more hours, she then turns right around and complains that he is "never around to pay attention to her."

It has been said that ever more younger men marry later and later. Women talk about his "failure to fly". It is not a "failure to fly", it is simply that he has come to realize that many women are providing less, and less. Hence, the advantages of marriage become less and less when compared the the "costs". If I could chose an analogy ? A man might pay a hefty price to get a hot sports car, but he wouldn't pay a hefty price for an older, rusty, 4-door Chevrolet.