Christmas Gifts

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you buy Christmas gifts for family/friends and yourself? That's exactly what we do. But, nowadays, instead of trying to guess what to buy a family member, we simply buy $25 gift cards, but only for immediate family.

For ourselves, we buy things online, mostly thru Amazon, that we both need and want. Not a lot, but enough. We both know exactly what we are getting. DVD movies/concerts, soft toilet seat (for wife), boat cover, Navy ring (for me), personal blender, battery-operated can opener and jar opener and some other things. This year, we didn't go into any stores to buy anything for Christmas, except grocery store for gift cards, but we were buying groceries anyway.

So, what's your "Christmas buying" like?

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had 5 siblings. When we all became adults, the rule was "Homemade gifts or no gifts." I've bought presents (then later gifted money) for nephews and niece, but that ended when they aged out. I usually buy something for myself. This year I'm thinking of getting myself a drone and/or a better metal detector...but there's such a range of quality (and prices), and I'm not up to speed on the specs. A good metal detector might be interesting because there is gold around my part of the county. I've seen some that say "finds gold jewelry but not gold nuggets." I don't understand.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

That's what we are thinking about for next Christmas........a drone. One that goes underwater as well as in the sky. Probably, with the cost of a good one, it would be our only Christmas gift to each other, but a nifty one nonetheless.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I have not seen a submersible drone. How deep can it go? I would think it has to follow a preset program, since wireless communication ain't gonna happen once it's below the surface.

5. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Submersible drones that can fly and swim have been announced by China and Rutgers University; however, they appear to be very much in the development stages. If there's one available commercially, that can fly and navigate submerged, I would like to know about it.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

There are both, underwater and on land drones that will take video and photos. The one I seen on Facebook was being flown over water and could take video/pictures of what was under the water. It would be launched from either land or a boat. I seen a popular one on Amazon for $159, but it would take some learning to operate.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Now, back to my original post question about Christmas gift giving. The question about "gift giving for yourself" is what I'm wondering about.

One thing for sure, at least those that buy things for themselves, like we do, know what they are getting. It's just that when you get a Christmas gift from a family member and you go "what the heck is this?" or "why this?". That's when you find out that some family members, or even some friends, just don't know you like you thought they did.

Years ago, before I met my wife, I knew a girl that invited me to her families Christmas dinner, which included presents. Of all of the things in the world to give me, I got a pair of black dress socks. At the time, I had no dress socks and never went anywhere to have any. I thanked them, but in the back of my mind, I thought.................."what???"

Wife and I have got a pen and small writing pad from Dollar Store. How do we know they were from Dollar Store? The barcode tag that said Dollar Store was still on each.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We really do not do much of anything special at Christmas, and giving myself a gift really does not make sense to me. If I need something, or just want it bad, then I get it when I need it and not wait for a holiday like Christmas to buy it.
    Often , they have the best sales before and after Christmas, so that can sometimes be a good reason to get something at that time.

If buying yourself a gift makes you happy at Christmas, @Cody Fousnaugh , then by all means do so !

Mary Stetler and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not just one gift, we buy each other a number of gifts. Not a lot, but enough. During the years I was single/divorced, that's what I did most every Christmas...........bought things I wanted, and a few things I needed. I had nobody to buy for, so I didn't have to think/worry about that.

My wife absolutely loves Christmas, as in decorating, gift buying and she loves the wrapping also. Christmas just doesn't seem like Christmas to us, without all of that. Not sure about going to Christmas Eve Service though. Just too many people go when they are sick. They simply think they have to, because it's Christmas. We don't think that way. It's very nice to go, but we don't see it as a "must".

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I stopped buying gifts for my children and grandchildren a few Christmases ago. They have so much money that they go out and buy everything they want as soon as they want it. Makes it hard to buy for them. As for me, I can't think of anything that I want that I don't already have.

I love Amazon. ;):)

12. Reen Davis

Reen Davis Well-Known Member
    Registered

For many years I've had an arrangement with some close friends - we don't buy each
    other presents - instead we donate to charities.
    This year, because of the high energy and food costs that have seen many more people
    needing the help of 'food banks' - we decided to donate to these places instead.

At one time I used to buy myself a 'gift' at Christmas - but don't bother now.

13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I told my closest daughter that I wanted 2- 12 packs of diet soda and a rear window wiper blade for Christmas, and Daddy wanted a bag of cashews. Dave and I got her a few things. And she and her roomies are coming for dinner. When the kids were little there was nothing I liked better than copious amounts of wrapping paper everywhere after all the presents were opened. Now we just stuff it in a small plastic bag.:(

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Those were the days, weren't they? :)

Mary Stetler likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Somewhat surprising how some people simply stop certain things. I really thought that gift giving at Christmas and birthdays still went on. We still do it, but.............

It's sort of like how some parents stop doing certain things, like powerboating, when their kids leave the house and go out on their own. However, there are parents that continue powerboating after their kids leave.

As far as giving to any Charity, have never done that. Wife and I figure there are plenty of people out there that are bringing in much more money than we are.