Clothes Softener For Laundry Washing?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

What do you use for clothes softener, distilled white vinegar or regular clothes softener? I've used both and regular softener seems to do better at "softening" than the vinegar does. However, many websites say distilled white vinegar is better.

Your opinion.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I stopped using softeners because I read that they make material less absorbent. I want my towels and t-shirts to absorb moisture.

I've not hear of using vinegar. I wonder if it would add softness and not make things less absorbent. Are you using white vinegar or cider?

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Although I am the one who does the laundry here, I don't use softeners. I've come to believe that a whole lot of the stuff that is available for doing laundry isn't necessary. For that matter, I have used dish soap when I've run out of laundry soap, and there seems to be no difference in the outcome.

4. Daniel B Cooper

Daniel B Cooper Well-Known Member
    Registered

Totally agree with the above coments and will add according to Ms. C fabric softners are the most cancerous items in a average household. She uses three balls with safety pins in them. IDK just thought I'd share.

5. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do not use fabric softener in my laundry. Although it makes clothes soft, I have found that it makes them less absorbent, clothes and sheets don’t breathe as well, and it takes clothes longer to dry. However, during the winter months, I do use unscented dryer sheets once in a while with certain loads so I don’t get the crap shocked out of me from static cling when I remove socks from the dryer. And sometimes I use white vinegar in certain loads of clothes that I want to refresh and remove odors.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

This requires an explanation.

I must have missed Hints From Heloise that day.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I use fabric softener (unscented) occasionally for clothing, as it makes things a little more wrinkle free. It helped with dog hair on clothes also when we had a dog (or cat). I do not use it regularly.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I use Downy "April Fresh" liquid fabric softener and have for years. The only things that don't get fabric softener are those microfiber cleaning cloths and a couple of blankets; they explicitly state "no fabric softener" in the washing instructions. I love the fresh smell and soft towels.

Cody Fousnaugh and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  9. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have always ironed our clothes so it doesn't matter to me if things get a little wrinkled.:p

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know about the safety pins, but a lot of people use "laundry balls" in the dryer. Some people use tennis balls but I have never tried it.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I had a laundry ball but Bubba decided that it would make a better cat toy. I see it roll by every now and then.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I used laundry balls for years with old dryer. The dryer I have now, do not really need softener,besides we put that in the regular water as it is hard here. @Cody Fousnaugh ,,store bought softener does accumulate in laundry after a time..so
    I have read. A good rinse with vinegar water will take that out. Vinegar is good for getting things like that out.
    On occasion I use a cheap softener to rid of dog hair and static.

P.S. the washing sheets are worth the buy, so far so good

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I toss three tennis balls in the dryer when drying towels. They seem to come out more fluffy. I will also add the same tennis balls to the dryer when drying bed linens.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dunno.
    I think beating the clothes on a rock whilst washing them in the crick does wonders for softening clothes.

15. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

If you use dryer sheets or liquid softener, your mesh dryer filter may clog up. The way to tell is to take it out and run some water into it. If the water doesn't run through it, it's clogged. Air isn't getting through properly.

I read that and checked mine....no water would drain so it was really sealed up.

Just scrub it with some dishwashing liquid and rinse with hot water. Good as new.

I check mine every few months.

Von Jones likes this.