Condo Collapse In Florida

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is a terrible tragedy, and they will probably find many more bodies as they search through the rubble.
    The building came straight down on itself, just like we watched the Twin Towers come down, and this building also came down in two separate blasts that crashed straight down, and left a pile of rubble.

The fact that it looks SO much like what happened with the Twin Towers, and also that people are reporting what sounded like bombs going off before the collapse happened, makes me wonder if there is not more to this story than we are hearing right now.
    Watch this video of the collapse and see what you think !

https://www.news4jax.com/news/flori...lance-video-captures-surfside-condo-collapse/

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Brian Naginoth and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

A news story today said that it had a problem years back concerning foundation. Nothing was done to address the problem

3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I seen that in our morning TV news what a sad tragedy .

They were reporting one dead …I very much doubt that number with it happening while most were sleeping

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

From what I read no explosions were heard just the rumble of the falling building. Several of the tenants were Jewish and also South Americans.

It is strange how it fell, very strange. Apparently, there was a weakness in the center. A sinkhole could very well pull the building down like an implosion, sort of like a vacuum.

If this was an implosion, then several blasts would have been heard. Very strange indeed.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I didn't realize it was built on "reclaimed" land.

upload_2021-6-25_12-22-8.png

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

And I guess this place has been sinking for some years. I would be very concerned if I lived in the neighborhood.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I read that it sunk something like 2mm a year. Not really alarming in a coastal region where they are measuring for potential flooding and not building codes.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Still searching for bodies. I'm really, really curious about how this happened. As I knew that would happen, numerous different stories are going around, including terrorism.

9. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I hear about events like this, I always wonder why people choose to live in geologically unstable (erosion and earthquake, etc) and chronically endangered (flooding, hurricane, etc) zones. And I wonder why city councils approve building permits in such areas. I wouldn't want to live that close to the shore .

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Apparently, John McAffee (who was probably suicided recently) owned part of this building and had a condo there.

AA837147-2543-46EF-9CBD-20C9304CB7A4.jpeg

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dunno. Florida has some of the strictest building codes in the U.S. so if the building was indeed sinking then someone was paying some hefty money too keep the building open.

A two story 4.8 million dollar beach home my dad contracted to build in the 80’s had 12 pilings driven 20 feet deep and a 24” footer w/ horizontal stacks of 6 #8 rebar throughout the footer. When the blocks were laid, every 6th block had to be poured solid w/ vertical stacks of 2 #8 rebar.
    There’s more but all of that was code and the owner went even further to make sure his home was going to withstand the eventual hurricanes so I’m a little leery about how a building of that magnitude in Miami no less, could have collapsed in such a manner.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

From Snopes:

We were unable to find any record of the above-displayed alleged tweet, which reads “If anything ever happens to me, please know that 31TB of files I have are located on hard drives in my condo near 88th Street and Collins Avenue Just north of Miami Beach,” on McAfee’s Twitter timeline. We were also unable to find any retweets or quote tweets of this message directing back to a deleted link.

It’s also highly unlikely that this message was posted and subsequently deleted from McAfee’s account. Not only is there no trace of the original URL, but after McAfee’s death, social media users archived hundreds of tweets that had been posted by McAfee, presumably because they thought the account could be deleted. We looked over those tweets on Archive.is and found no record of a message from McAfee saying that he hid files in the building that collapsed in Florida.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I've often wondered about the same things. A tornado tears up multiple homes, or even an entire town, the folks just rebuild and stay. When earthquakes hit So. California, the people done the same thing.........rebuilt and stay. Hurricane prone areas, again, same thing, rebuild and stay.

Some do move away, but many times, where they move to, can have weather disasters to contend with. But, then again, they rebuild and stay.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I don't know that there is a place that's safe from all of that.

I moved to the middle of Virginia in the summer of 2010. Just over a year later we had 5.8 magnitude earthquake that did damage from Louisiana up to Canada. I live about 5 miles from the epicenter...in VIRGINIA!!!! We had aftershocks for well over a year later...perhaps maybe they were separate mini-quakes.

I guess there are some regions that are more catastrophe-prone than others (hurricanes in Florida, tornadoes out west.) One reason people might build in such areas is because the Federal taxpayer (FEMA) helps cover their losses...although if you get killed, government insurance ain't gonna do you much good.

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I was typing a similar comment. But while hurricanes and tornadoes are at least annual events (and sometimes more often), quakes in California are cliché but not frequent.