Considering The Amish Culture

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

With a name like Yoder, I figured you might know something about the Amish.

2. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

hundreds of Yoders in Lancaster County, the only real thing I know about the Amish is how to get kicked out and shunned, if death is the alternative to old age I'm up for it....

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

If you read the whole sentence, you would know that I said that it is a problem with our understanding of the Amish. The bulk of what most people know about the Amish is from negatively exploitative television series or films that are often intended to put them in a bad light, or based on information from people who are no longer Amish or who have never been Amish, or from the popular Amish fiction genre, which are mostly romance novels. Alternatively, a lot of people have become somewhat familiar with the Amish through positively exploitative brochures and publications from various Chambers of Commerce and local officials who have an interest in using local Amish colonies for the purpose of tourism.

The theme of those produced by people who are familiar with the Amish is usually on the order of why they left the Amish. Now, I am not arguing that people might have good reasons for leaving the Amish, and wouldn't quarrel with that, but I would question the objectivity, given that these are people who have an issue with the Amish.

One of the most popular authors of Amish non-fiction is Donald B. Kraybill. I have a few of his books and, while his information does not appear to be agenda-driven, and I get the feeling that he is intending to be objective and certainly more informed than I am, the fact remains that he is Mennonite, but not Amish.

So my statement that the problem with our understanding of the Amish is adversely affected by the fact that we're not getting it from the Amish is valid. I'm not Amish and I'm not planning on becoming Amish, so I have no strong opinions for or against the Amish. However, we have to recognize that the available information on the Amish is not being provided by the Amish, and this should be taken into consideration. It's not a problem for me, but it's a problem in our understanding of the Amish.

I live near an Amish colony and have spent several hours on several occasions speaking to Amish people, including their acting bishop, as well as another man who was later shunned, then left the Amish, and has since returned. I don't want to get him in trouble so I haven't visited with him since he returned. This may be more than most people have done, but I am under no delusion that I fully understand Amish theology, culture, or practices, as we all tend to be guarded when speaking to outsiders.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When I lived in northern Idaho, Bonners Ferry had a large population of Mennonite’s, which are somewhat similar to the Amish, except that they drive cars, have power and water, and assimilate into the local community . I always bought my fuel and and any mechanic work that needed done on my pickup at the Mennonite gas station. I also bough hay and straw for the horses from some of the Mennonite farmers.
    They were very nice people, and totally honest, and a definite asset to our community.

In Missouri, there were Amish, but except for seeing them go up and down the road with the horse and buggy, I didn’t have any. Kind of interaction with them.
    When I asked to take a picture, I was told (reluctantly) that I could take a picture of the horse and buggy as long as he was not in the picture.
    I think that he had to decide between being polite to a stranger and appearing vain to let me take his picture, and fortunately, courtesy won out, and I took the picture of the horse and buggy.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

And instead they have destroyed the health of most citizen's hope for.
    They protect the official, licensed, expert quacks who first of all bring harm, instead of no harm.

One of the best, if not the best, most authentic movies ever seen is about an Amish family who got saved.
    It might be available free somewhere online - it used to be, then was taken down, then showed up again... somewhere.
    Here's a page about it >
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2300710/

Searching for the truth , internet searching 'fda lies', and so on
    It won't change the fda, ama, cdc, or pharmacy,
    but at least
    can start bringing to light the deception they have that encompasses the whole world.

Note: I merged your posts because there's no point in making three posts (two replying to the same post) within nine minutes. -- Admin

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2022
  6. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Santa Monica Meeting Room
    https://www.quakercloud.org/cloud/santa-monica-friends-meeting

I started religion shopping and at one point I landed at the above Meeting Room and felt like I arrived. I believe it could be similar to the Amish world.

I felt good at their Sunday gatherings but went on to find Science of Mind where I have stayed (in my mind for sure) for many years...

7. Samual Yoder

Registered

Being raised Amish, I drank milk straight from the cow, not treated in any way, then again our cows were not injected with any kind of drugs or growth hormones, totally free-range pasture fed cows.

8. Ken Anderson

I was not Amish, but we had a milk cow that was pasture-fed, and there were no drugs or growth hormones. Oddly enough, I thought that unpasteurized milk was gross, particularly because my mom never completely strained the cream off it, so there was always a coating of nasty mucus-like stuff at the top of the glass. Then again, I've never been very fond of pasteurized milk either.

Al Amoling likes this.
  9. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I stopped consuming any cow's milk a long time ago. Humans are the only ones who drink milk from an animal once we are weaned from mom. For a while I was buying organic coconut milk or hemp milk when I was making smoothies but not even these anymore. Lots of good info on the healthfulness of coconut water.

My grandson is on a special program to gain weight and bulk up and he drinks organic raw milk from local farmer's market and some coop stores.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I never liked milk (unless it had chocolate flavoring in it), even as a kid. Your comment is something I've often said. I don't understand why we do that or how it began.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course I love milk, but in my older years I have become lactose intolerable. I now buy the Free one now.I do not drink lots of milk , but is really good for a change.

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

When all 5 of our kids were growing up, we used a gallon of milk a day. My husband loves milk and I like it OK, but I usually just want (whole) milk on my cereal. I don't drink milk very often and I can't stand low-fat or skim milk.

Oops. I see the subject is the Amish. :oops: I don't know anything much about them other than what I've read or seen on TV.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Samual Yoder

Registered

The taste never bothered me because I want right from being breastfed to milk, mom strained the milk through cheese cloth so the cream stuff could be turned into butter, OMG I hated churning butter for mom it was so boring and tedious. I finally got old enough to go outside and help dad with chores, but I still hated getting up before dawn to feed stock, milk cows, fetch water which is why Amish lifestyle never took hold of me I was just too laid back and lazy.

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

That's interesting. I love all that stuff. But I didn't have to do it when I was a kid. I got a job on a farm after graduation milking cows. I loved the hours. My muscle build up, even the smell.
    I find it annoying people in one state can buy fresh milk if they want to and not in another state. You could blame brucelosis or something but it is the control of the commercial dairy industry, here in Wisconsin.
    Government control more than the FDA being good for us.

15. Ken Anderson

We made our own butter too, but we made it in jars that we shook until it turned to butter.