Considering The Amish Culture

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 25, 2016.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I suspect that's pretty much a universal thing in all cultures & communities. It's sad in that there's no such thing as a "little" compromise. Once people sway, no one has moral authority anymore.

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I was at a luncheon given by an oriental woman (S Korea) who offered both our silverware and her formal chopsticks. She confided to the table that she wondered if she should keep her kids to the traditions of her country. I said yes. She should allow them both traditions. Her chopsticks were beautiful, silver and extremely thin but I had cheated and learned from our Japanese exchange students over the years how to use them.
    More knowlege is better than less.
    My grandmother would visit with the elderly lady next door. The family spoke high German and no one in their new country could speak to her except her family until my grandmother came to visit for short periods.
    Sadly, I think the only German Gram ever taught me were comments like Mach schnell mit der essen! and that didn't include spelling. Learning more than one language and culture can only be helpful.
    And YET,
    I love the idea of 'tradition'.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

We all want to fit in. When we move to a new area, we adapt to their way of being. This applies on lots of levels, to include Anglicizing surnames. I worked with one of Tony Bennett's cousins. His last name was Benedetto...the same as Tony's.

I guess much is changed, morphed, blended, and lost along the way. It's not until recently that we began "celebrating" cultures, but even that gets distilled down to clichés. Traditions are components of people's lives, not stand-alone things that are trot out for special occasions or street fairs. I bet many here have always been fascinated by (and respectful of) our differences. You can't be curious about yourself and not be the same about others. And respect is likewise a multilateral quality.

4. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do not understand "no one has moral authority anymore" They may compromise on owing some electronics but not their morals.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

I guess what I was saying is that when one is even slightly hypocritical on an issue, it tends to undermine them universally. I didn't mean to infer "immoral." I probably worded it wrong.

Al Amoling likes this.