Controversy - The Criminal Justice System

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I think if Solitary Confinement with no chance for parole was the standard maximum sentence it would deter some crimes more than the death penalty. I have been experiencing like many others during this COVID mess a form of isolation and it's punishment for sure.

Lois Winters likes this.
  2. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You might be right, @Lon Tanner. I just object to paying for it. Would rather my taxes go to something productive, like raising the standard of living in poor communities, providing housing and education, researching new cures and hardier agricultural crops, ending climate crisis, etc.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Registered

How about a death sentence carried out immediately after sentencing?

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I remember the Timothy McVeigh execution. Too easy for what he did, imo. And there are still people found to be wrongly convicted after serving years in prison.

5. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Fine with me, when there is indisputable evidence. But real life is always complicated by manufactured or flawed evidence, loss of chain of custody of evidence, mitigating circumstances, mistaken identity, and so on. It's not as easy as being for or against in theory or opinion.

Ken Anderson and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I do agree with this.

7. Lon Tanner

Registered

Depends on the judge

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Under our form of correction seems it is that for many. Most live in very hostile conditions especially hr weak who become 'wives' of the strong.Gang rapes beatings and even killings should not be allowed in a civilized society.We need more policing of these prisons. Look at Europe and Scandinavian nations d have more humain prisons and lower crime .

Lois Winters likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

How can you raaise the staandard of living inpoor n-hoods? Onlythe parents can do that money has been thrown at these people of all bad hoods both black,white etc,. No more free stuff is what they need not more. Thats is not kind of charitable to make dependant victims out of them. We have government sponsored drug flowing in non stop for decades while they play musical chairs with elections. No matter who is in power it just keeps getting worse and we get it socked to us while they all get stinking rich. THen they blame each other to add insult to injury.
    Maybe its supernatural power that put them people in office I don't know .

10. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

There is a book by John Grisham which is non fiction; The Innocent Man. If ever, there was a miscarriage of justice, this book is a shining example of just that. Also, Dreams of Ada on the same subject by Robert Mayer. I'd recommend these to anyone interested in the system. Ron Williamson of Ada, Oklahoma is still serving a life prison sentence, despite the intervention of the Innocent Project, for a murder he never committed. I don't recall if he's in solitary on death row or not, but what a terrible and corrupt police officer and D.A. did to this guy is unconscionable.