Critical Race Theory In Math Books?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by John West, Apr 19, 2022.

1. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Who is really behind the idiotic notion of embedding "critical race theory" in math books? Is Ron DeSantis the only person who took exception with and actually did something about it? Don't be surprised if some race-baiters are, at this very moment, trying to figure out how put CRT into the fundamental theorem of calculus (e.g., because Leibnitz andor Newton were white). This stupidity has got to stop.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I haven’t tried to find any examples of exactly what is in those math books because I’m really trying to imagine how the most universal and beautiful language there is (maths) and how it is utterly impossible to corrupt it with skin color or gender or anything else for that matter.

That said, I guess someone did so I’ll have to do the sad part and find out.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. John West

Registered

It is a little hard to fathom but here's an example:

[​IMG]

4. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Where is your example from John West?

5. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

CRT issues aside, I realized I can no longer do the math to solve these 8th grade problems. And I have an accounting degree, an MBA and a CPA license. Oh my.

6. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Math used to be "just the facts".
    Now it seems, for a couple decades, math and crt both are "whatever FEELS good/right". i.e. not reality.
    In grade schools it was observed that making the students "feel good" about themselves was emphasized regardless of if they got everything wrong.

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I wasn’t paying attention to the ongoing debate regarding maths being a racist language because to me, it didn’t have legs.
    If a major portion of the black population of children are failing math, it isn’t because of their color, it’s because of the method the system is using to teach and the subsequent excuses they’re manufacturing for those failures.
    Alas, the theory is getting those legs I denied that it has via a bunch of people with “Piled Higher and Deeper” degrees who to me, are building a pathway for future failure by offering excuses for a person of color’s inability to succeed in Maths.

Admittedly, I haven’t gone so far as to try to find out if there really is a disproportionate amount of failings between the races but I have my doubts. If there is some per capital study out there that indicates that people of color are less apt to succeed in math then what they are doing is giving substance to an age old idea that black people are less intelligent which is a ludicrous platform with no validity.

https://farleftfacts.org/white-people/math-yes-math-is-racist/

8. John West

Registered

Don't feel bad. I have a degree in math and can no longer do some of the problems that are in a math book I wrote decades ago.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Reminds me of when we moved from one state to another in the middle of the school year.
    I was studying Algebra in the one state and BANG….what the heck? New Math? Wasn’t the old math good enough? Created by a POW?
    After a little catch-up after school tutoring I caught on to what was going on but I was admittedly thrown at first.

Marie Mallery and Hoot Crawford like this.
  10. Jeff Elohim

Registered

It looks like rac-ism is just like any other -ism - like a joker in a deck ,

people use the rac-ism card for whatever selfish reason they have, wanting to win, or to gain advantage that they don't have.

Groups that have no racism , countries that have no racism, are doing fine without it.

When the rac-ism card is used in the usa, it causes friction, dissent, fights, and troubles in many ways.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

This isn't math or algebra at all because there is no scientific basis for assigning the numbers to the multiple-choice answers. Algebra represents real universal facts. Teaching kids that algebra can solve domestic or racial issues is insane. If this nonsense was correct then any police investigator wouldn't have to ask questions or investigate a crime, all they would have to do is know the right numbers associated with criminal acts, and wa la an arrest could be made. I wonder how many pedophiles will be convicted based on Fermat's Last Theorem?

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Shouldn't blacks be insulted by all this? It's being implied that blacks need special consideration when it comes to math. What happened to the notion of equality?

13. John West

Registered

Well, I think you just hit the nail on the head. The object of those who made this up is to insult and agitate. Think Cloward Pivens.

14. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Are the Asians, Koreans, Philippinos, Europeans, or Russians insulted because so many 'Americans' are prejudiced against them now or in the past two hundred years ?

Women acted like they deserved to be given better opportunity because of the disparity between what they were paid , if true, and what men were paid,
    and look what happened when they fought so hard and so long for more/better treatment, politically and legally, without earning it. A disaster all around for families, companies, society churches , etc etc etc

Marie Mallery likes this.
  15. John West

Registered

I should have responded by saying, "If anyone seriously wants to know how to solve these equations, let me know." It should never have been a multiple choice test since students could get the correct answer without knowing how to solve the equations (plug in the numbers to see which ones work),..

Bobby Cole and Hoot Crawford like this.