Crock Pot Cooking

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Babs Hunt, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Need to get another crock pot haven't use one in years use to make great roast beef with one.
    I'd like to find one that would run on solar or battery or some kind of alternate power source.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Marie Mallery

Not really sure why alternate power source is of importance; usage of power by a crock pot is very low, far less than any of your other cooking sources in the home.

Frank

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Not when the power is being knocked out by storms or if a semi prepper the shtf.I guess just stay with the Coleman stove and propane on slow cooking.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

North Florida.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

ok thanks, could not find on your profile.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The little purple crock pot that I wrote about turned out to be just way too tiny to actually make any kind of a meal in. It would be fine for warming up dips or something like that, but I sent it back to Amazon.
    This summer, I found one that is about 3.5 quarts, and it is just perfect for us. I have made a couple of meals in it already, and today i am trying out a youtube recipe for turkey/chicken dinner in the crockpot, made with a frozen chicken breast that was looking lonely in the freezer.

If this turns out well, it is probably going to be something that i do on a regular basis this winter. I can start it in the morning, and it will be ready to eat once we get home from the fitness center. Here is the video that shows how to make it.

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

When I was working, I would prep ingredients the night before and put them into the Crock Pot in the morning so dinner would be ready when I got home that evening.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Family: "Mom! We're hungry!!!"
    Mom: "Sorry. It's been cloudy all day."

10. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As has been said, the Instant Pot is, IMHO, God's gift to men who can't cook and I've been using one for over a year now. Tonight's special is chicken & noodles, which will take from 30 to 45 minutes, start to finish, depending on whether or not I thaw out the chick beforehand.

Hedi Mitchell and John Brunner like this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Crock pot is a single persons dream. When one of my grandsons moved out on his own he compalined about
    trying to cook after getting home. i told him get a crock pot dump everthing in , and wah la supper is served.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Our crockpot chicken and stuffing dinner turned out great ! I will definitely be making this again. Thanksgiving has always been my favorite meal because i loved the turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, and cranberry sauce. Sometimes, I have roasted a chicken and added dressing, but I really like how simple this was, and i didn’t need to have a whole chicken to do it. Any cut up chicken parts should work, and even the canned chicken if I didn’t have any regular chicken, although the fresh or frozen chicken is definitely better.

My son came over for a visit this afternoon, so he stayed and had dinner with us, too, and we had just enough for everyone in the crockpot. I will be checking out youtube for more good crockpot ideas, for sure !

John West and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The Audubon Wild foods dinner is Wednesday. It kind of snuck up on me. I don't have the weeds put up as usual. I kind of ate them. But I do have rabbit and puffball mushrooms and a crock pot. I will be making a rabbit casserole with white wine, dijon mustard, sour cream and seasonings mixed into the rabbit juices to make the gravy for the potato dumplings.
    Yes it is kind of cheating but I am just a little old lady. OK maybe not that little...

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have a slowcooker but the recipes are always containing spices I would never have on hand.If I could find some simple,basic recipes I would use it more.No creamed soup because of the sodium.They seem almost non existent.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

you can use whatever if any spices you like. I will email you about this later ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.