Cubans Asking For Freedom (yesterday)

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Silvia Benoit, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Yesterday I was debating with a Cuban friend "when the Cuban dictatorship will end." She didn't want to guess but I feel it will end by years end....and USA -as usual- will help to rebuild this lovely country.

Whatdo you think?

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That’s a good question but there are some caveats connected to the present upheaval.
    At the present time there are people hitting the streets and protesting but as far as I know, thus far there is no direct leadership nor clear direction that the Cubans wish to go.
    They’re waving the American Flag but it’s not something that hasn’t happened before and lest we forget, Castro was a U.S. backed leader against Batista.

I’m just a little leery right now due to the fact that the Russians still have a vested interest in Cuba as a strategic military asset since the country nearly abuts the U.S.

I’m sure that we will be willing to help with the country’s needs if the dictatorship is overthrown but we’ll have to wait and see if that help will be called upon as opposed to what Russia or even China offers them.
    As it is, I’m sure Russia, China and our government have picked someone’s pocket to fill as a potential leader should the people get their way and overthrow Castro.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  3. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The US did indeed help Germany and Japan get back on their feet with something like a democracy in both cases. Are they totally free? If either country passed legislation to evict the US military. would the US military leave????
    In Cuba's case I suspect that when Castro refused to fall in as a satrapy like other Latin American countries, that's when the trouble started. I also wonder what Cuba would be like today if it hadn't had to struggle under the US sanctions these past six decades? Ahhh well. 'What If' history isn't worth much.

Tom Galty, Nancy Hart and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I think that dhould be up to the Cubans and we should stay out of it now that Cuba has allied with China,Rissia.
    I also think one Little Havana is enough in tthis nation.I like to speak english and in Miami that is sometimes a problem with the locals.
    Not that it really matters anymore since we are being changed and replaced by immigration.I guess we can let the new kids on the block fight over the spoils.

5. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Well if Cuba becomes a free nation I am pretty sure many of the ones today residing in "Little Habana" (Miami) will return to their country. I FIRMILY BELIEVE YOU CAN REST ASSURED A "SECOND LITTLE HABANA" WOULD NOT BE CREATED.
    About you liking to speak English I don't think anybody is stopping you from doing so........as nobody is stopping me from speaking Spanish and / or attempting to improve my French and my Italian. BTW, my first professors of Italian were ALL the immigrants to my other country...Gee, when I took Advanced Italian II the professor was amazed...and honored....by my knowledge acquired when I was a youngster.
    One more, my both parents were French but they didn't press us to learn their language....to avoid discrimination.

About USA helping to restore Cuba to a healthy life....Why not?

6. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Sure, you are another one who believes USA kept a blockade during 62 years.
    Trust me, I am Latin American.......I know a bit more than many about what happened.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Maybe a refreshercourse in comphesion wouldn't be a bad idea? I don't care to speak a foreing language to corrospond with those who chose to come to my country. I think they should be learning thr language of the nation they willingly came to.
    We got lost in Miami years ago and had a hard time getting directions from the locals who only spoke the lango of the nation they ran away from.

8. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Nobody is denying the importance / obligation of learning the country's language ......only remarking the beauty of speaking more than one.

Indeed a refreshing course in reading comprehension is needed. I hope they offer some in a university near you.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

I apologize for the sarcasm and find its best for us to just agree to disagree.

10. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'd be interested in how your bit more knowledge doesn't agree with my note.

11. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Bidden has decided USA to participate in Cuba's present situation; as soon as I get the video I will post it for everybody to be informed.........even those who say USA shouldn't say a weord.

12. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Today, from the Florida's coast, a convoy will "leave ports" to support the people in Cuba protesting for freedom.

So far, the destiny of over hundred Cubans is unknown

13. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Finally Bidden is doing something for the Cubans........the USA government is asking for the people who have disappeared in the last 10days and applying sanctions on certain Cuban officials.