Did You Have Many Credit Cards In The 1960's ? I'll Bet You Did

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Lon Tanner, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Read again, Johnny! I said I was younger in 1965 than BETH was in 1969. :rolleyes: No expression just a safe place to keep $2 lunch money safe. Remember when $2 would buy a burger with lettuce and tomato, fries, and a small soda? That is what it cost 1968 at a mom-and-pop burger joint in the front of their house, one block from the school. They were only open during high school lunch hours and made a lot of money. It was a steady line in and out. We had to take it elsewhere to eat, but the best price and food around. They had a grill that held 50 patties and they were so organized and efficient. Between the two lunch periods, they probably served 200 burgers. At $2 each that was $400 which was half or more profit, so $200 for 2 hours work, 1-hour serving, and 1 hr preparation and clean up was at least $100 an hour. Not bad in 1968 for an old retired couple. They used to money to travel all summer.

To return back to the topic, I was sure glad when Costco went to Visa. Their American Express was useless at many other places around here. I now use their VISA for everything, paying bills including medical, all purchases, eating out, just everything, and pay it off at month's end, so no interest, and I get about $500 a year in kickback shopping at Costco each spring.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I didn't know that. Of course, cards are such a nasty way to finance anything. I guess a lot of folks must carry a balance, if the number of "Transfer Your Balance at 0%" offers I get are an indication. And that Arkansas example makes me wonder why there aren't low-interest cards marketed to folks with decent credit ratings. One would think such folks are of a type that would not carry balances, so the exposure to the company would be low. Maybe they don't want to cannibalize their risk pool.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. John Brunner

My first job paid $1.80 an hour and I was able to pay insurance and put gas in my '67 Camaro AND save enough to buy my first stereo (Lafayette LR1200, which I still use in my garage.) Regarding COSTCO...I recall when a cry was heard throughout the land when they went to VISA. AMEX was such a weird provider to partner with. AMEX is like the reverse-thread metric card in our American market...why does it still exist?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, there are those that can't have a credit card or even a banking account. Why? Bad-to-no credit and, concerning the banking account, state and/or federal taxes they owe.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

Routinely paying your bills with Money Orders can get to be quite expensive.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think the advantage to the REAL Amex card is that it has no limit but must be paid every month and has a hefty annual fee. Amex also has a revolving credit card that functions much like the other name brands but requires a larger premium from the merchant. That is why many merchants won't accept it. I haven't got current info on cards, but that was the way it was when I last got a new one.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

For a brief period I worked on the inside of that industry. I was in between corporate jobs, and it was one of those things I would never tell my mother I had to do to pay my bills.

There was (is?) this 2nd tier industry that arose when so many people started their own businesses (especially online sales) and their brick & mortar banks would not give them a Merchant Account. The Merchant Account Sellers (MAS) had relationships with financial institutions that saw this opportunity and would underwrite these accounts with hefty up-front costs, hefty transaction fees, hefty rates, large hold-backs, etc. The MAS received a sign-up fee and residuals on subsequent merchant activity. The MAS had sales guys who would seek these businesses out and "help them" get a merchant account. (Think used car salesmen, minus the ethics.)

The most obscene thing (and that's saying something) were the credit card machines they sold. The MAS would pay $75 for a refurbished machine and put it on a "less than the price of a cup of Starbucks a day" monthly lease that ended up costing the merchant $1,200 over 2 years. Then the MAS had places lined up to buy that lease for $600. The lease buyer administered the lease and made 100% within 2 years, and the MAS immediately got 8 times what they payed for that used machine!!! That's a GPM of 700% on the machine...plus the sign-up fee plus residuals. Sweet, huh?

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never carried more than one credit card in my billfold. (wallet)

I have been using a VISA for years.

It's a nice card.

Don Alaska, John Brunner and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Cody I wasn't old enough to have a CC in the 60s.