Disappearing Jobs

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Reen Davis, Dec 25, 2022.

1. Reen Davis

Reen Davis Well-Known Member
    Registered

Following on from the thread about 'Self Checkouts' I got to thinking about other jobs
    once done by 'people' but which have now almost (if not completely) disappeared.
    Of course I can only base this on the UK where I live, but perhaps other countries have
    seen the same and other jobs that no longer exist.

Here's a few that come immediately to mind:
    Sales Assistants - This one particularly in supermarkets and other large stores.
    Gone are the days when you went to a 'department/counter' with an assistant there to serve you.
    Now it's carry a basket or push a large trolley around before going through the checkout.
    Bus Conductors - New style buses mean that the job of collecting fares is now done by the 'driver'.
    Train Conductors/guards - I'm almost certain that at one time you could pay your fare on the train,
    but now you either buy your ticket from the station office or from a machine and a guard will check
    your ticket on the train - although not always.
    Petrol Pump Attendants - Now you serve yourself.
    Car Park Attendants - Replaced by ticket machines.
    Factory Workers - I've added this one because although I'm sure there will still be plenty of
    jobs done by actual people - I'm wondering how many people 'have' been replaced by machines
    in some factories.
    Door To Door Sales - I put door to door but I was largely thinking of companies like bakeries and
    'pop wagons'. My father worked for a bakery firm and would take a van around the streets - people
    would come to the van and buy all kinds of 'bakery items'. I also remember a wagon coming around
    every week and you could buy all kinds of soft drinks.
    Coal Deliveries - Obviously - the emergence of 'central heating' wiped this job out - along with all
    the miners.

So there are just a few jobs that came to mind which are no longer available. Can anyone think
    of others - do other countries have other jobs that are now none existent ?

2. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I’ve been interested in this topic for a while. There is an old video which I think really hammers home the point. It’s also just interesting. I wasn’t sure how to search for a video so it’s probably been posted before but, if not, it’s worth a watch.

Bobby Cole and Reen Davis like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although it will never be as common as it once was, this is something that is enjoying a resurgence as some gas stations look for something that sets them apart, since gasoline brands don't have the loyalty they once had.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
    John West, Bobby Cole and Reen Davis like this.
  4. Thomas Windom

Registered

Ha! Yeah, I remember when they would not only service your car, you’d get green stamps, steak knives, etc. I think attendants had uniforms at one time too.

5. Reen Davis

Registered

@Thomas Windom - A very interesting 'eye opening' video - thank you for sharing this.
    It's rather worrying when you think of the rising world population and the decline of jobs
    available for those of working age.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't know that train conductors will go away soon, as, on the long-distance trains in the U.S. anyway, the conductor RUNS the train. It is not like a plane where the pilot/captain is the boss. The conductor is responsible for the train, the passengers, and virtually all decisions regarding how the train operates. I only discovered this myself when I actually travelled long distances by train. If you have any problem, even regarding the engineer, who drives the train and does nothing else.

many places are being forced here to eliminate unskilled jobs as Liberal areas raise the minimum wage to the point that businesses can no longer employ those people. They are replaced by robots or self-service, or the business relocates or dies.

Reen Davis and Thomas Windom like this.
  7. Thomas Windom

Registered

It’s coming.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...ried-it-will-cut-millions-of-jobs/ar-AA15D05u

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

ATMs have replaced some number of bank tellers.

I used to manage a Hess gas station back in the 70s when "The Crisis" hit. There was a 10 Point Check we had to do on every single car. I still clean off my windshield, my headlights, my taillights, my back window and my side view mirrors every time I get gas.

Of course, technology (especially in transportation) has obviated the need for lots of jobs: farriers, stable hands, saddle makers, buggy makers, street cleaners, etc.

My dad managed retail in the old days. Display signs were made in-store. He had a separate staff for the snack bar. People needed to know how to roast nuts and get parakeets out of the cage without releasing too many in the store. I was in Walmart the other day and the Zamboni they use to wash & squeegee the floor was sans operator...it just beeped every few seconds to warn you. One large lawsuit might put a human butt back in that seat.

I gotta think that this topic might fall into two classes:
    -Jobs lost to technology
    -Technology filling jobs no one wants anymore (which is its own topic)

9. John Brunner

It just occurred to me...haven't some states (New Jersey?) banned self-serve gas stations so as to preserve those jobs. I mentioned that I used to manage a Hess gas station...they are headquartered in New Jersey (Woodbridge.) I wonder if they had any influence over that bit of legislation.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Reen Davis

Registered

I don't know about 'long distance' trains - I've only ever travelled on the local ones. All our stations here though have signs up
    warning you to buy your ticket 'before' you board or you could face a fine.
    However, since my OP I have remembered that there are times you can pay on the train - e.g if the ticket machines are not
    working at a station where there is no 'office' to buy one.

One thing that does annoy me is that the station I would have to use, the machine is out in the open, the screen is hard to see
    if the sun is shining on it and if you have any difficulties using it, there is no staff member to help you. I think there is button you
    can press to get through to a help desk or something - but for someone who is hard of hearing like myself, that could be very
    difficult to use. I suppose in that situation paying on the train would be possible.
    Apparently there is also an option to get a 'Promise to pay' ticket from the machine - not sure how that works, but if you can't see
    the screen to get one, it's not much help.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Reen Davis

Registered

Not sure how much that applies here - but it probably does to some extent.
    It's a while since I've actually been 'inside' a bank, or even used an ATM for that matter,
    due mostly to paying for everything by card - a situation I plan to change.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I was a switch-board operator in one of my jobs in the 1960s. Gratefully, I can say that's a job that's gone. One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingies........

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

It's been numerous years since we've used an ATM and very seldom go into a bank. All bills we get are either paid by check or online.

As far as the topic goes, my 1/2 brother absolutely hates (yes, "hates") computers. He will tell anyone "they took jobs away". Then, I mention to him about CAD (Computer-Aided Drafting) and he doesn't want to hear it. When he worked for the State of PA, in heavy equipment, as a supervisor, he had his secretary do most-to-all clerical for him. If he was needed, anyone could find him in the shop, helping his mechanics work on something.

As for me, I absolutely love computers. I remember, years ago, doing Inventory on 3 x 5 index cards and typing out purchase orders. Started using my first "job" computer in 1989 in an electronics stockroom. From then on, I was using a computer for both Purchasing and Inventory Management.............and loved it.

This is probably why dear old 1/2 brother and I don't get along that will. Even though he is retired in his later 70's, he still loves getting dirty/greasy working on a vehicle or swinging a hammer to build/remodel something. For me, I spent at least 1/2 of my days sitting in front of a computer!

Reen Davis likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was a keypunch operator in the early 80's. (This was the real key punch, with the stack of cards from hell. These days there are "data entry operators" which is a similar dead-end job.)

Reen Davis and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

I moved into "office work" around '78 or so. Our payroll and accounting were managed by Hughes ADP. I visited their facility in Maryland...cards and chads as far as the eyes could see. I can't imagine doing that for a living.

Reen Davis and Beth Gallagher like this.